Act 40: The Blazing Tale of a Hero (part 2)

The orchestra started a relaxed interlude as the lights went down. "Later that evening, the king summoned his sons to the throne room." Brenna narrated as the lights came up on Ruby, the other Scorbunnies, and the Cinderace on a magnificent set of a throne room.

"My dear sons, you know how the loss of your mother troubles my heart and soul." the Cinderace began. "Many brave heroes have searched for her in vain; and I am compelled to send one of you forth."

He addressed one of the Scorbunnies. "Alex, as my eldest, take my fatherly blessing, with as much gold and as many troops as you require, and try your fortune in the quest. If you succeed, you will inherit my kingdom."

The orchestra started an excited interlude as the lights went down. "Prince Alex took a full purse from the treasury; and with fifty thousand troops, he set out from the capital." Brenna narrated. "He rode one day, and then rode one week, he rode a month, and two and three, asking questions of all he met, until he had passed beyond the borders of his father's kingdom, but no one had heard of the lost queen or of the strongholds of Darkrai the Nightmare Pokemon."

The lights came up of the set of a desert, where the Scorbunny staggered into the scene. "Water...." he pleaded. "Water..."

He gasped in awe as a majestic Arceus puppet appeared before him. "Hail to you, Father of the World..." he stammered

"And to you likewise, milord," the Arceus puppet replied, its voice strong and yet gentle. "Where does the wind take you? Have you come here to escape a task or find one?"

"To find one," the Scorbunny playing Prince Alex replied. "I seek the stronghold of Darkrai the Nightmare Pokemon, who has spirited away my mother."

"You are on the right track, but you will not be able to reach it." the Arceus puppet intoned over a somber stinger from the orchestra.

"Why not?" the Scorbunny asked.

"There are three rivers in between, and three Hydreigons guard them." the Arceus puppet explained. "Many a fine hero has tried to slay them so all may cross, but so far, all have failed."

The Scorbunny flicked a gold coin at the Arceus puppet. "I have gold and plenty to spare." he smirked. "After all, what dragon Pokemon doesn't like gold?"

Angry murmurs filled the peak, and Moltres flared her feathers in annoyance at the haughty prince. "Prince Alex rode on to the first of the three rivers." Brenna intoned as the lights went down. "A Hydreigon waited on its bank, its three heads hungrily eying the prince. Prince Alex was so terrified of the huge dragon Pokemon, he rode back the way he had come, to his own kingdom."

The lights came up on the throne room again, where the Scorbunny playing Prince Alex arrived before the Cinderace, Ruby, and the other Scorbunny. "My lord and father! I have searched for many months, in many lands, until not a single one remained of the troops I took with me." he breathlessly explained. "I myself barely escaped with my own life, but no trace of Darkrai the Nightmare Pokemon or of the queen, my mother, could I find!"

"Aw"s filled the peak as the Cinderace and the Scorbunny playing Prince Alex hugged. "My dear son, take my blessing, with gold and troops as much and many as you need, go forth and try. If you succeed, you will have my kingdom after me." the Cinderace told the Scorbunny playing Prince Dimitri.

The lights went down as the orchestra struck up another adventurous interlude. "Prince Dimitri, vowing he would do better than his brother, took a knapsack full of gold and a hundred thousand troops, and set out." Brenna narrated. "He, too, came to the same desert where his brother had met Arceus."

The lights came up on the Scorbunny playing Prince Dimitri in the desert. "Water..." he gasped.

He gasped when he saw Charlotte, in the role of Kitsune, approaching him from stage left. "The holy Delphox herself!" he gasped. "Is it really you, or are you only a mirage?"

"I am no mirage...take my paw, and you will see." Charlotte replied, offering a paw to help the Scorbunny up.

Once the Scorbunny playing Prince Dimitri was back on his feet again, he bowed before Charlotte. "Hail and well met, Envoy of the Divine Flame."

"And likewise to you, milord." Charlotte answered. "Where does my master Arceus lead you? Why do you come here? To escape a task or to meet one?"

"To meet one," the Scorbunny playing Prince Dimitri replied. "I seek the retreat of the Nightmare Pokemon Darkrai, who has kidnapped my mother."

"You go in the right direction, but all the same you will never reach it." Charlotte cautioned.

"Why not?" the Scorbunny playing Prince Dimitri asked.

"There are three rivers in between, and three Hydreigons guard them." Charlotte explained. "Many a fine hero has tried to slay them so all may cross, but so far, all have failed."

The Scorbunny flicked two coins in Charlotte's direction. "I have plenty of that," he chuckled. "Where there's a dragon Pokemon, there is treasure, too!"

"Prince Dimitri remembered what his brother had said, and found another longer way around to avoid the first Hydreigon. But when he approached the second river, the Hydreigon guarding it made him freeze in terror." Brenna narrated.

The lights came up on the throne room set again. "My lord and father! I have wandered many months through strange lands, and not one remains of the great army I took with me." the Scorbunny playing Prince Dimitri breathlessly explained. "As for me, I too narrowly escaped with my life, but I found no sign of the Nightmare Pokemon or of my mother, the queen!"

More "aw"s filled the air as the Cinderace and the Scorbunny playing Prince Dimitri embraced. "Peter...take what you require, and go forth in search of your mother." the Cinderace instructed Ruby.

"I have need of neither gold nor army, Father," Ruby replied. "Give me only a Ponyta of my own choosing and a sword and a bow fit for a hero."

The Cinderace snapped, summoning a Lucario in the role of a guard. "Bring Peter the best sword and the finest bow in the armory." he began. "Inform the royal stableman to prepare the finest steed in the stables."

"Yes, milord!" the Lucario replied before hurrying off over an excited interlude...

To Be Continued...