Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elbub's Challenge Adventures

Elbub's Challenge Adventures

<insert banner*>

Introduction

Hello and welcome to Elbub's Challenge Adventures! Over the course of the next few days weeks months, I will be completing attempting to complete challenges, including Nuzlocke runs, on the various games I own. There will be no routine with this, only when I can be bothered to post an updates

My Nuzlocke Rules
    - Universal Rules (check out the main thread for these)
    - The only items I will be buying will be Poké Balls, but I can use any items I collect by other means
    - I can pick up Gift Pokémon, but they count as the catch for that route/town
    - As of Generation II I can go back to the early routes I passed through before I could get Poké Balls to catch a Pokémon.

Nuzlocke
    Generation I Game

Result - FAILURE - 0 Badges - 1h28m

Spoiler:
    Choice of Game

Pokémon Reddddddd

Justification
    I own all three Generation I games and one Generation III remake (Leaf Green). My choice was narrowed down to three straightaway, as my Blue Version has a complete Pokédex and the best of the original 151 that I obtained over the first two generations; I ain't saving over that.

Next, I was pretty confident that I'd choose Leaf Green, as the mechanics are better (in particular, speed based Critical-hits could be murderous in a Nuzlocke), but then I remembered that my Leaf Green is a cheap knock off that is glitched out so that you can never obtain the HM Cut. Not very useful for a Nuzlocke...

So my choice was between Yellow and Red. And I choose Red. I think because I'd become so despondent if the Yellow Version Pikachu got knocked out and I had to release him and not have him follow me anymore. I couldn't deal with that heartbreak.

-sobs at the thought of it-

So Red Version it is!

My Info.
    Location - Viridian City
    Pokémon Caught - 4
    Pokémon Missed - 1
    Pokémon Lost - 4
    Badges - 0

My Team
    Fallen Pokémon

Met - Pallet Town - Level 10
    Boone the Charmander
    Level 10
    Ember
    Growl
    Scratch
    -

Met - Route 2 - Level 3
    Carlos the Pidgey
    Level 7
    Gust
    Sand Attack
    -
    -

Met - Route 22 - Level 3
    Nibbles the Rattata
    Level 8
    Quick Attack
    Tackle
    Tail Whip
    -

Met - Viridian Forest - Level 5
    Genny the Kakuna
    Level 7
    Harden
    -
    -
    -

Nuzlocke
    Generation II Game

Result - FAILURE - 3 Badges - 10h28m

Spoiler:
    Choice of Game

I would have rather played an Original version...

Justification
    I own all three Generation II games and one Generation IV remake (SoulSilver). There wasn't much choice though, as my older Generation II games all have dead batteries. So it has to be SoulSilver.

My Pokémon

Boxed

Delilah the Hoppip | | Level 8

Chlorophyll
    Splash | Synthesis | Tail Whip | -

Met - Route 33 - Level 8

Gary the Ledyba | | Level 13

Swarm
    Comet Punch | Supersonic | Tackle | -

Met - Route 35 - Level 13

Carlotta the Pidgey | | Level 15

Keen Eye
    Gust | Quick Attack | Sand-Attack | Tackle

Met - Route 37 - Level 15

Spearow the Spearow | | Level 15

Keen Eye
    Fury Attack | Growl | Leer | Pursuit

Met - Route 42 - Level 15

Deceased

Sentret the Sentret | | Level 8

Keen Eye
    Defense Curl | Foresight | Quick Attack | Scratch

Met - Route 29 - Level 3
    Died - Violet City Gym - Falkner's Pidgeotto

Terror the Gastly | | Level 9

Levitate
    Hypnosis | Lick | Mean Look | Spite

Met - Sprout Tower - Level 4
    Died - Route 32 - Camper Roland's NidoranM

Genny the Beedrill | | Level 17

Swarm
    Cut | Focus Energy | Fury Attack | Twineedle

Met - Route 30 - Level 3
    Died - Route 38 - Wild Meowth

Belladonna the Raticate | | Level 17

Run Away
    Bite | Focus Energy | Hyper Fang | Pursuit

Met - Route 39 - Level 17
    Died - Burned Tower - Silver's (?)

Abraham the Zubat | | Level 17

Inner Focus
    Astonish | Bite | U-turn | Wing Attack

Died - Burned Tower - Firebreather Richard's Charmeleon

Regina the Nidorina | | Level 20

Rivalry
    Double Kick | Poison Sting | Shadow Claw | Tail Whip

Met - Route 36 - Level 12
    Died - Ecruteak Gym - Morty's Gengar

Grace the Geodude | | Level 20

Rock Head
    Headbutt | Magnitude | Rock Smash | Rock Throw

Met - Route 46 - Level 3

Ryu the Dratini | | Level 20

Shed Skin
    Dragon Rage | Leer | Thunder Wave | Twister

Bought - Goldenrod City - Level 15

Allie the Croconaw | | Level 20

Torrent
    Bite | Leer | Rage | Water Gun

Met - New Bark Town - Level 5

Izzy the Togepi | | Level 1

Hustle
    Charm | Extrasensory | Growl | -

Hatched - Azalea Town - Level 1

Rocky the Onix | | Level 17

Sturdy
    Rage | Rock Throw | Rock Tomb | Screech

Link Trade for Bellsprout - Violet City - Level 6

Poison mono-type
    Generation I Game

Spoiler:
    Closed. Come back later.

Nuzlocke
    Generation II Game

NOPE.
    Spoiler:
    I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT.

Any comments/feedback is greatly appreciated :)

* If you want to make me a banner, I'll be greatly appreciative :D
    Last edited by Elbub; 10-05-2014 at 05:59 PM.
    Heartfelt thanks to Neo Emolga for my avatar!

2. This post has been liked by:

Here's hoping you catch a Mankey, Nidoran or Caterpie within the next few routes, or Brock is going to give you utter hell.

Good luck! :)

| | |

How high can Tenacity get on the official Showdown Server's ladders?
    Spoiler:
    Format | Core Pokemon | Highest Rating | Highest Ranking | W/L

OU || 1677 | 497th/500 | 50/27
    Random | ? | 1605 | Unranked | 42/13

4. This post has been liked by:

Elbub 

Hopefully we don't see any deaths when you face Brock! Good luck man! :p
    Paired with the lovable 💕 Kaoru 💕 l Pokemon Prism Stats
    ---

6. This post has been liked by:

Elbub 

Shaky Start

After briefly checking the state of my previous save game (4 badges, in front of Koga's Gym; decent team though), I promptly restarted the game and entered what I like to call the "A Game" with good ol' Professor Oak.

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A

After naming my character ELBUB (it's a tradition for me these days in Gen. I games to go with all Caps), I reminded the rather absent minded Oak of his Grandson's name; GARY.

I wonder if he even remembers his birthday? Poor Gary...

And before I know it, I've started my adventure. Uncharacteristically, I ignore the SNES and every other thing in my room (I like to waste time in my games) and head straight to my PC to get my Potion. I'm only going to be using items I find/collect/receive. I'm not allowed to buy any items except for Poké Balls.

NONE FOR YOU, ELBUB.

I leave my house, head into the grass, get pulled back, listen to Oak's warnings, blah blah blah...

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A

And finally get back to the lab to choose my first Pokémon. As I can't see my Trainer ID without a Pokémon, I instead use an RNG. I get 2, and therefore Charmander. I claim him as my own and name him Boone.

Yay for Boone!

I have my battle with Gary and JESUS H CHRIST IT WAS NEARLY OVER BEFORE IT HAD EVEN BEGUN.

2 HP left Boone? Come on, man! Don't scare me like that!

One Critical-hit on their part could have ended it for us... But fortunately, Boone (now of course Level 6) and I live to fight another day!

New Additions!

A very comfortable (not) first victory for me, and I tentatively head north through Route One, praying that I didn't encounter anything before I could get Poké Ba- OH GOD DAMN IT.

IF I WAS BETTER AT PAINT, YOU'D BE WEARING A SCUMBAG HAT.

Sharing my rage, Boone took down the offending Rattata with minimal effort.

You don't want to make him angry.

And I entered Viridian City without any more encounters, and head around the back way to pick up my second Potion.

You know the one I'm talking about.

And then I head back around and go to the Mart, where the guy behind the counter refuses to sell me anything until I return his package to Oak.

Told you I couldn't draw.

So I run hoops for some random guy, get a Pokédex, get a Town Map, head back up to Viridian, buy 15 Poké Balls, and out to Route Two for the interesting stuff; AN ENCOUNTER.

Ohaither.

The "fight" is over quickly, and I get myself a nice Level 3 Pidgey, nicknamed Carlos, with what I call the "Two Scratch Catch".

He would have preferred a third Scratch.

Similarly, I head west of Viridian to Route 22 and come across ANOTHER ENCOUNTER. A level three Rattata! And with another "Two Scratch Catch", we have a third member of our team!

I dub thee Nibbles!

I started to grind before I called it a day, getting Boone up to level 7, Carlos up to level 5, and Nibbles up to level 4. Things are looking good so far, even if Brock is appearing a little ominous with my current team.

NEXT TIME: Rival Battles, Viridian Forest, and Pewter City!
    Last edited by Elbub; 03-01-2014 at 05:25 PM.

8. This post has been liked by:

I really like the way you're logging your Nuzlocke Adventure xD!
    ---

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, WELCOME BACK TO ELBUB'S NUZLOCKE CHALLENGE! TODAY WE - okay guys, I'll cut to the chase; it's game over for me.

-sobs-

Rival Battle caused the death of Carlos after he so nearly took out GARY's Squirtle. I made it through Viridian Forest, catching a Level 5 Kakuna, without much incident. I headed straight through to Brock's Gym as I was intending to take out the Jr. Trainer first for some levels. That was a terrible mistake.

The face of a murderer.

I lead with Genny (my Kakuna), before switching to Boone. It was all going fine against his Diglett. And then a Critical-hit, prematuring my Potion by one turn.

Many tears were shed for poor Boone. And before too long Nibbles had fallen to the Sandshrew, by another Critical-hit. I managed to get Genny struggling, but the accuracy was too low for it to have any real effect. Genny fell too, eventually, to a final Critical-hit.

Never have I hated these words so much...

So, that's it. My Generation One Nuzlocke finished, with a Pokedex of four, zero badges, and a total play time of 1:28...

Endnote

So that's it guys, for my Pokémon Red Version Nuzlocke. It went spectacularly bad... What do you guys reckon I should do next? I was thinking of doing a Pokémon Yellow Version run through, with me RPing a bit more as a shifty character who's already irresponsibly lost his team before. It's either that, or I'll move straight to SoulSilver. Any thoughts are appreciated, but I'll decide before too long.

I'd say go for RPing with a backstory (this Nuzlocke) but do it @ Soul Silver. Because I know you'd have a heartbreak losing Pikachu. :'3

On the endnote, Man I really was expecting so much for this Nuzlocke, which pretty much scares me cuz I just started my own White 2 Nuzlocke D:
    ---

Three years.

Three long years.

Three years ago, I failed miserably at the first hurdle of the Kanto Pokémon League challenge. My partners destroyed at the hands of the very first Gym trainer I came across. Not even a God damn leader...

But I can do better. I need to do better. For Carlos. For Nibbles, for Genny. For Boone. For all of them.

I need a new Pokémon here in Johto... I need to prove to myself and to the world that I wasn't a total failure. I'm going to trick this Professor Elm in my new town of New Bark Town to giving me a new Pokémon, as I offer to perform a simple task for him. After all, it's dangerous in the long grass...

I'll never forget Oak... But I hope you've forgotten me.

Shady Start

So I went to Professor Elm's laboratory again. He's given me the task of taking an Egg to a Mr. Pokémon, and he's given me Allie to help me along my way.

Meet Allie!

I nearly had a heart attack when I thought an Aide recognised me as I went to leave the lab, but he was just giving me Potions. Hopefully I'll use them better this time around...

Upon leaving the lab, I noticed a shifty-looking guy with Red hair outside one of the side windows to the lab. I thought he was here to check up on me for a moment, before I realised that he was focused intently on the Poké Balls inside. Illicit activity were both clearly on his mind. You and me both, friend...

Still, I picked up my Poké Gear from my actor friend who I'm telling everybody is my mother, and went to head out of town. Before Elm came charging out of his lab. I froze, whilst my heart dropped he knew... It was all over.

I JUST WANTED A SECOND CHANCE!

But no! He didn't know. How could he? He's just giving me his phone number. Exhaling as he walked away, I turned back around and headed out into Route 29 to begin my new adventure...

Thank God for Oak's Memory

I headed out into Route 29 not fearful of encountering in the grass. I knew that I'd be too harsh on myself to do what I'd done in Kanto considering I have to cross two routes several times before I get my Poké Balls. The journey was short, with a little bit of levelling for Allie, as well as finding a potion.

Maybe I'll use you better this time...

Cherrygrove is a nice little place, if a tad boring. And the tour is certainly unnecessary, especially as I no longer need a map to tell me when I enter a new area. God bless that feature. I quickly moved on to Route 30, picked up another Potion... before it happened.

OH NO!

A Weedle poisoned Allie with just one Poison Sting. I nearly began to panic, before remembering that just the other side of the patch of grass I was on contained an Antidote, thank God. I quickly grabbed it and used it, avoiding another early death. I collected an Apricorn Box on the way, collecting some Apricorns too, before arriving at Mr. Pokémons house. And he was there...

You won't take me alive, Samuel!

Miraculously, his famously poor memory overlooked me. I should have known I would be safe; this was a man who can't even remember the name of his own grandson. So I collected the egg, received the panicked call from Elm, and began to head back, when... it happened again.

The face of an attempted murderer.

Using two potions in the process, I managed to carry Allie back to the Pokémon Center for healing from the terrible poison that troubled her body and life. I exited relieved, but as I went to leave Cherrygrove, I encountered a familiar face.

Ohhh... It's Silver!

We battled, and I swept aside his Chikorita. I got a good look at his trainer card when he dropped it after his battle, confirming he was Silver; as if I wouldn't recognise Giovanni's son anyway...

Although apparently no one else did; I was myself accused of stealing the Chikorita, and I was worried my history would be probed before Lyra confirmed that it wasn't me, and instead "some red-headed guy".

Come on guys... I didn't get a good look at his face to begin with, but I recognised him easily enough our battle!

Not much more has happened since I've gone out to the world, I've caught Grace the Geodude, an accidentally no-named Sentret, and a new Genny the Weedle. All female. And Allie accidentally knocked out a Bellsprout with her Rage attack, but it's not a big loss. Ah well. That's it for today. Hopefully this adventure goes better than my last one...

Never forget...

Bellsprout Bashing

I made it into Violet City, with Grace getting poisoned and surviving it with 1 HP left inches away from the Pokémon Center desk. EXCITEMENT AT THE START. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the message pop up, as I thought it was a death message sooner than I was expecting it.

She's a trooper though!

Ignoring anything interesting in Violet, I head down to the patch of grass below Violet on Route 32 and encounter... another Bellsprout. Level 6, female. And I concoct a devious plan.

So devious that Purrloin would be proud.

I catch the Bellsprout and nickname her Tradee. And I hope now you can see where this is going too.

Here's another clue.

I trade my Bellsprout nicknamed Tradee to the guy in the house for his Level 6 Male Onix. Not against my rules, and it eats up my Pokémon capture for Violet City (it was either that, or getting an egg from Primo). So now I have Rocky the Onix as the first male member of my team.

He thinks he's a player, but he can only breed with Grace.

Content that Falkner shouldn't cause me much trouble, I head over to the gym... Only to be told I have to go through Sprout Tower first (I swear that the old games never used to force you...) Aware that my team has a staggering disadvantage, I tentatively enter the shaking tower of ominousness. It's totally a word.

Fortunately, I encountered a level 4 female Gastly before I had to fight any Bellsprout, and caught her, giving her the name Terror, after my ASB Gengar. And boy, did Terror and Genny smash their way through the Bellsprouts.

Many Bellsprouts were harmed in the making of this update.

I encounter ol' Silver again, who talks some guff about whatever it is he's got a bee in his bonnet about. I claim my Flash TM, along with my loot of a Paralyz Heal, an X Accuracy (hahahaha), and a Potion, and use my found Escape Rope to exit the place.

Victory!... at a cost...

Nervous and worried, I head over to the Gym. Two trainers. Could I even make it past the first hurdle...

Yes! As a matter of fact, I could. Genny started in before switching out to Grace, who made quick work of the Spearow. That was so much more fun than my last Gym trainer battle.

We'll meet again one day, JR. Trainer...

I dispatched the second trainer with consummate ease too... And then it was on to Falkner.

And his damn dad's cherished bird Pokémon...

It started off so well... I lead with the nameless Sentret, who dispatched of the Pidgey with so little effort, thanks to the continuous attempts of the Pidgey to use Sand Attack. My Sentret had Keen Eye. It was too easy. Sentret dinged to level 8, and I was confident of her ability to weaken the Pidgeotto before switching out. But then...

You foul beast of a game mechanic!

Sentret fell to a OHKO Critical-hit Tackle from the Pidgeotto. I didn't see it coming. Heart broken, I send out Terror to fend off the beast. Except what the hell Nic, Terror only has Lick; what can she do against Pidgeotto? I recalled her

Grief makes you do stupid things.

I switched to Rocky, but even he seemed to be under threat from the foul bird. I planned ahead though, and used Screech several times, before switching out to Grace, who showed off her new move to avenge her former friend.

Grace Rock SMASH!

Victory was ours, but at the cost of a great ally. We had been victorious, and grown stronger, but at the loss of a good friend. I hadn't even got to naming her yet :(

Sleep easy, you magnificent beast...
    Last edited by Elbub; 03-04-2014 at 01:47 PM.

15. This post has been liked by: