Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheoreticalSelkie View Post

On that note, is anyone watching Parasyte or Yowamushi Pedal this season? Been thinking of picking them up when I finish Code Geass.
    I've only glimpsed at the first episode of Parasyte. I might watched it once it's done airing, depending on favourable reviews.

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken Homura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Celebi View Post
    I vastly prefer the second season to the first. Both the drama and the action really ramp up. Also, because Jeremiah Gottwald is the best character ever.
    I'm like the opposite. I thought the first season was vastly superior to the second. The first season dealt more on the intricacies of the world and how Lulu maneuvered through the political landscape. The second season was people bashing their head over each other over and over with random deus ex machina moments scattered about. But that's a taste thing.
    What is happiness?
    It's being called by someone
    It's being able to call someone
    It's when someone is thinking of you
    But Heaven has none of this
    A lizard girl took pity on God
    So the lizard girl tore God in two and brought a half from Heaven to Earth

Moribund Warrior-Poet Lord Celebi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Homura View Post
    I'm like the opposite. I thought the first season was vastly superior to the second. The first season dealt more on the intricacies of the world and how Lulu maneuvered through the political landscape. The second season was people bashing their head over each other over and over with random deus ex machina moments scattered about. But that's a taste thing.
    Okay, so let me also admit I haven't seen Code Geass since I was 15. Perhaps the testosterone influenced my opinion.
    There's a Starman waiting in the sky!
    He'd like to come and meet us, but he thinks he'd blow our minds.
    He's told us not to blow it 'cause he knows it's all worthwhile.

Not a clue, man TheoreticalSelkie's Avatar
    I just finished a bunch of anime during break so... my thoughts on them (Going off what I've written in my tags on my MAL):

Code Geass
    Spoiler:
    Going to start with this one first because it's the one I don't like too much. I get that the show is meant to be quite cheesy (with the amount of pizza there is, I'm not surprised), however it worked against me in this case, which is unfortunate. But! I prefer the second season since it does improve upon the first in most areas.

Story - I found the story somewhat intriguing. In R1, we see Lelouch moving around the political landscape in Area 11, which made sense because he was trying to build up his organization before tackling larger problems. On the other hand, R2 was mostly Lelouch working on a global scale as we can see by his dealings with the Chinese Federation and Brittania as a whole. I prefer R2 more because it's better paced for me than the first season, plus gives a lot of closure the show as a whole.

Characters - Man, I kind of don't want to comment on this one too much. I don't like Lelouch as much though I do recognize his genius. He is driven by his emotions and I do like how it does lead to his downfall in R1 and parts of R2. Not every character can be perfect and I think Lelouch is a good example of that. On the other hand, I understood Suzaku's motivations and found it ironic that Lelouch picked him to be the new Zero. It's something like glory to zero (I'm terrible). I liked other characters too, such as Karen and Orange, though I found that the only really dynamic characters out of the cast would be Lelouch, Suzaku (at the end), Karen, and possibly Ougi/Vileta. I may be forgetting a few, but the majority of the cast was defined by one major quality throughout the show.

Art - My major gripe with the show, I didn't like the CLAMP style with the noodle arms and the weird hands. The mech design looked cool but the colors agh. So I basically spent like most of R1 getting used to it, and then R2 was a bit better about it. Still a problem, but hey I guess the justification for the mech was to be intimidating so that worked.

Sound - Not my favorite, found it a little too overtheatrical for my tastes. The tubas didn't help either during the dialogue, and I had trouble hearing when the characters would speak because the music would be loud. I guess it would be kind of pointless for me to hear dialogue when I'm watching it subbed but it does help to know which character is speaking some times T^T

So for now, I'm rating R1 as 6/10 and R2 as 7/10. It's something I might rewatch, but I have too much in my backlog.

Mononoke
    Spoiler:
    Ah Mononoke. Not Princess Mononoke, but the show known as Mononoke. It's about a medicine seller that goes around cleansing the world of spirits known as Mononoke. Think about it as a bit similar to Mushishi in that sense, but with more... deadly consequences.

Story - So Mononoke is made up of 5 arcs that's around 2-3 episodes long. They aren't connected except for the Medicine Seller, but I found the arcs to be pretty interesting with each premise. So the thing about Mononoke is that in order to cleanse them, the Medicine Seller needs to know the Mononoke's Form, Truth, and Regret. Most of the arc is devoted to figuring that out, and usually leads to a mystery/horror type atmosphere (if you don't believe me about the horror, the first arc is unsettling once you figure it out). While the formula is the same for each arc, I liked how the development of the plot and character gets fleshed out. This is pretty apparent in the final arc (since it's a mystery of who did the thing) but is also found in a lot of other arcs such as the Noppera-Bo one. I got hooked enough to watch all of the series in two sittings so that's a plus.

Characters - Partly covered above in the story, the only recurring character is the Medicine Seller, and he still remains a mystery from beginning to end. I'm not sure how to talk about how the characters develop from arc to arc, but the show starts with the flat character and peels it apart to reveal motivations and pasts and emotions to find what and why the Mononoke is there. This kind of character development is my favorite and particularly fitting for the length of the arcs. There's twists and turns because of those characters as well.

Art - This is perhaps my favorite part of the whole show. The art resembles ukiyo-e and is very much like paper cutouts. I falsely thought that this anime was one done by Yuusa because it did resemble the people of Ping Pong the Animation. In any case, the colors are my favorite, emphasizing the mood shifts especially in Nue. While the animation is somewhat minimalist, it does suit the feel of the show as a mystery type thing. It's all so pretty aahhh

Sound - The OP and ED songs grew on me and I never really skipped them while I was watching the show. The sound also served to accent the horror/tension we as the audience should be feeling, and I believe a lot of it was period-type instruments. I'm terrible at IDing instruments but I found that the sound added to the experience more than anything. I do like the Medicine Seller's VA though some of the voices of the female characters were a little offputting because of their pitches.

I rated Mononoke a 9/10 in my book. Probably will rewatch it in the future again since it's so short.

As for other things, I'm finishing up Space Dandy S2 today. Might write up something later for Barakamon because that show is so adorable Q___Q

5. This post has been liked by:

Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

I just finished watching End of Evangelion (After watching the entire series of course) and I literally have no words. I am so confused. My brain hurts trying to figure out what happened, yet somehow I just know it was so insane that I am still shaking ten minutes after finishing. The TV ending was barely an ending as far as I'm concerned, and EoE, although a bit more solid, is unbelievably... Just... I don't have words. I don't have words.

Spoilers Beyond This Point.
    Spoiler:

The ending confuses me greatly. As far as I can tell, Shinji and Asuka are the only humans left, although it does seem to be implied that other people can come back. Why did Shinji try to strangle Asuka though? My brain hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Master Mike View Post
    Spoiler:

The ending confuses me greatly. As far as I can tell, Shinji and Asuka are the only humans left, although it does seem to be implied that other people can come back. Why did Shinji try to strangle Asuka though? My brain hurts.
    Spoiler:
    There's a couple competing theories. The primary school of thought amongst Evangelion academia (based on some vaguely canonical Carddas trading card that was printed in Japan) was that Shinji was trying to see if she was still real. Within Instrumentality, Asuka would be unable to put up any resistance to the assault. However, in the real world, Asuka would be able to defend herself. I really don't like this one myself and the piece of merchandise that backs it up, besides being extratextual in the first place, doesn't have a clear direct line back to Anno.

Quote Originally Posted by Carddas
    "Shinji renounced the world where all hearts had melted into one and accepted each other unconditionally. His desire... to live with 'others' — other hearts that would sometimes reject him, even deny him. That is why the first thing he did after coming to his senses was to place his hands around Asuka's neck. To feel the existence of an 'other'. To confirm rejection and denial."
    Other theories that have been proposed:
    • Asuka chose to return the world in order to die properly and was hoping Shinji would finish the job based on her experiences within Instrumentality.
    • Since abuse is the only "love" that Asuka knows, Shinji lashing out at her is the "advance" that she had been looking for from him the entire time, and returned this gesture by stroking his cheek (the intimacy that Shinji has always wanted).
    • My personal theory: during the first choking scene, Shinji finally decides he is tired of Asuka's emotional and sexual abuse, so he finally stands up for himself and chokes her out. When he washes up on the beach, having just experienced the trauma of Instrumentality and sees Asuka, the omnipresent "bully" in his life, Shinji, who now finally has a sense of self-worth, is willing to defend himself, and unwilling to live in a world populated solely by Asuka, finishes the job he started within Instrumentality.
    • Regardless of your canonical interpretation of the scene, metaphorically, it hammers home the main theme of the show: even though humans often hurt each other, sometimes they choose not to. This is what makes human interaction worthwhile.

EoE is one of my favorite films ever. I've watched it about 8 times since I first discovered it and am pretty well-read on various interpretations of the film. Feel free to pick my brain--I've thought pretty extensively about pretty much every aspect of the film.

8. This post has been liked by:

GCEA Staff

To be honest, every one of those interpretations confuse me in some way. I can't even seem to explain how, it's just that the entire movie just messed with my head.

Spoiler:

To be honest, I'm confused on what the whole instramentality thing actually was. I have an idea, but I don't know enough to be able to explain it. In the end though, Shinji stopped choking Asuka didn't he? I still don't understand why he would want to kill her in the first place though.

To be honest, every one of those interpretations confuse me in some way. I can't even seem to explain how, it's just that the entire movie just messed with my head.

Spoiler:

To be honest, I'm confused on what the whole instramentality thing actually was. I have an idea, but I don't know enough to be able to explain it. In the end though, Shinji stopped choking Asuka didn't he? I still don't understand why he would want to kill her in the first place though.
    Spoiler:
    Using the Mass Production Evas, SEELE created an Anti-AT Field which shattered every single AT field on the planet. Without AT Fields separating people (symbolically the fear of rejection and closeness that keeps people apart--the "space between us"), everyone merges into one single consciousness inside of the Tree of Life. Everybody can hear everyone else's thoughts.

Asuka is a bully, plain and simple. She's clearly being eaten alive by her own insecurities, so she tries to reaffirm herself by knocking Shinji down both emotionally and sexually. It's clear that Shinji, as a teenage boy, badly desires carnal knowledge of her. Asuka, being completely immature about it, uses her sexuality to tease and degrade Shinji. It's no surprise that after finally being exposed to her raw mind that Shinji finally has enough and decides to stand up for himself.

It should be noted that I really hate Asuka.

11. This post has been liked by:

GCEA Staff

That makes sense. When you say you hate her, you mean you hate her because she was a jerk, or do you mean you hate her as in you think she was a bad character?

That makes sense. When you say you hate her, you mean you hate her because she was a jerk, or do you mean you hate her as in you think she was a bad character?
    Oh, no, she's an excellently written character. I hate her because she's fairly despicable and treats Shinji pretty miserably. Asuka is very much not best girl.