Senior Moderator

Tales on a Moonlit Evening

Kicking off a new collection of Pokemonized folktales, with Serena joining in the storytelling. This is a mix of old favorites and brand new tales.

Tale 1: Lugia's Capture (Brock)

"All right...is there anyone with a request for me tonight?" a brown haired boy asks as he checks the tuning on a yellow-brown acoustic guitar.

A black haired boy immediately makes a request. "Tell 'Lugia's Capture'!"

"I haven't heard that one in a while...and Serena might like it too." a red haired girl grins as her friend plays a relaxing melody to compose his thoughts.

Once the guitarist is ready, he begins "Once each month, in a desolate part of Johto filled with marshes and pools of black water, ghost Pokemon and other strange creatures slipped out of their hiding spots to play. Any other night of the month, the people who lived in the marshlands did not mind the world beyond their villages and towns, for the world was lit by the light of Lugia, and no one came to any harm. But on those nights when Lugia rested, out of the mushy earth crawled the slithery, slimy, scary beings, and people had been known to disappear in the swamps."

As his song's last note fades into the moonlit sky, he intones "And so it was that everyone lamented whenever Lugia rested."

"What did Lugia do, Brock?" Serena asks, hugging Fennekin close.

"The people's anguish troubled Lugia, and so on one night when he would have rested, he flew down to the earth." Brock explains. "He trembled when he saw the murky water everywhere and the twisting black snags. The only sounds he heard in the pitch dark were gurgles and slurps, sloshes and rustles. With every step he took, he sank deeper into the muck."

Serena is visibly shaking as the black haired boy comforts her. "Chilled by her fear, he nonetheless kept going." Brock goes on. He had to see all there was to see here. Stepping as lightly as the summer wind, moving from tuft of earth to tiny island of grass, he took care not to fall."

"A-and then?" Even the red haired girl is scared as she imagines Lugia in the swamp.

"Suddenly, as Lugia neared a huge black pool, he slipped and grabbed at a snag to steady himself." Brock continues over an uneasy melody. "The moment he touched it, the snag reached out and wrapped itself around him. Lugia immediately knew this must be one of the horrible creatures the people feared -- was it a Lampent? Or a Dusknoir?. Just ahead, he spotted the flickering light of the will-o'-the-wisps, and he heard them cackling at him.

He plays a "struggling" melody as he goes on "He twisted and wriggled against the snag's grip, and just then he heard a sound of someone gasping for breath in the distance. Then he heard squishing footsteps coming closer, and in the darkness he could barely make out the face of a man."

"Easy, Misty..." the black haired boy smiles as the red haired girl yelps in fear.

"He was lost and terrified, wading toward the silver light that flashed as Lugia fought to free himself." Brock continues, still playing his "struggling" song. "But this gave him the strength to fight even harder. As he struggled, he unleashed a bright silver light that could be seen for miles in any direction. The marsh creatures quickly slipped back into their hiding places. The man could now see his path as clearly as if it was daylight. Overjoyed, he ran as fast as he could back to town, elated to be free.

He then reminds his audience "But Lugia was not, and there was no one to help him."

Some sniffling gets the black haired boy's attention. "What's the matter, Melody?" he asks a small sprite creature struggling to hold back tears.

"Was Lugia stuck there in the swamp forever, Ash?" the sprite tearfully asks.

"Lugia's gonna be okay in the end, don't worry." Ash assures Melody as he turns his attention back to Brock.

"He collapsed in the murky water, exhausted, and the silver light vanished again." Brock isn't done setting the terrifying scene. ",and the ghost Pokemon came out, laughing and joking at Lugia lying there in the muck--for he was not their friend. The Mismagiuses wanted poison him, and the Haunters were eager to eat a Legendary's dream. Creepy, crawly things twined themselves around poor Lugia, and they all argued over just how to destroy him. When the dim promise of light appeared on the horizon, they knew they had to act fast."

He plays a long glissando down one string as he narrates "They pushed Lugia down, into the depths of the marsh. Just before Ho'oh departed on her daily journey, they rolled a huge stone over that spot and pushed it down to keep Lugia from getting out."

Serena swallows hard as Brock continues "The next night, the people who lived in the marshland waited for Lugia to take flight again, but he was nowhere to be seen. Days passed with no sign of him, and not even the town seer, with her gift of speaking to the Legendaries, could find him. Still more days passed, and before long, Lugia's disappearance was all anyone in the heavens or the earth could talk about."

"So, how did they find Lugia?" Serena wonders.

"Then one day a man from another town--the same man Lugia had saved--visited the village tavern and heard the rumors." Brock explained, he told the townsfolk he knew where Lugia was So the man and many of the townsfolk walked into the swamp, and though they heard the sighing moans and felt fluttering fingers at their necks, they carried on, slipping and sliding toward the rock where Lugia had been buried."

Everyone listens as Brock continues "So everyone knelt in the mud, grabbed ahold of that rock, and shoved it with all their might. When the rock rolled away, they saw a beautiful face for a brief moment, but he was so bright, they stepped back from the blinding silver light. When they could see again, Lugia had flown in the sky, lighting up the paths through the bogs, driving all the ghosts back to their hiding spots.

"Thank Arceus..." Melody musters a relieved smile.

"Ever since that night, Lugia has understood that though he, like the other Legendaries, loves us all, he must still rest once each month." Brock concludes. "When that time comes each month, the people know to stay home, out of the swamps where the spirits rule the night."

"Wow--you had me scared for a minute there!" Serena raves as she applauds....

(real tale: The Lost Moon)

Senior Moderator

Tale 2: Diancie and the Herder (Serena)

"Okay, here's how our story circle will work..." Brock explains. "We'll start with Serena on the left and work our way around--although if someone has a story they really really want to tell, they can move up on the list of whose turn it is. After Misty has taken her turn, we start back at Serena again until we run out of stories or get tired--whichever comes first.

"Sounds fair to me." Ash smiles.

"No objections here." Misty agrees.

"Of course, if you want to play a role in the story or help with musical interludes, you're welcome to do that too." Brock adds.

"In fact, I have just the tale..." Serena grins as Fennekin and Sylveon listen intently.

With that, she begins "Once upon a time, near a lake somewhere in the mountains of Kalos, there lived a lonely Miltank herder. Each night after he had worked all day, the young man--whose name is not important to us--returned to his hut. There he dreamed of finding someone so that he would have a companion."

"Aw..." Brock smiles.

"One day the Miltank herder walked into the forest to get some wood, as he wanted fix up the porch on his house." Serena explains. "He carried the wood home, and there he carved one log into the shape of the jewel Pokemon, Diancie. As he was repairing the roof, he added a piece of thatch to the top of the Diancie figure, and whenever anyone walked past the house, they all oohed and ahed over the beautiful carving, and said how the detail made it look like Diancie was alive."

"I'm sure it was beautiful..." Misty smiles.

"I'll have to tell you and Brock about my adventure with Diancie later." Ash whispers to Misty.

"The Miltank herder was proud of his carving, and sometimes during the long, lonely evenings he whispered..."

"How I wish you were real. I could love you." Ash sighs in character, in almost a whisper.

"One morning after he had set off to work, the pole began to glow bright white, and in moments, Diancie herself was where the carving had been." Serena goes on. "As she opened her eyes, Diancie saw all the things that needed cleaning, and she went to work, scrubbing the floor, cooking lunch, and tidying the house. When she was finished, she turned back into the pole.

[Wow!] Even Sylveon is enamored by the picture of Diancie working in her mind.

"When the Miltank herder returned home, he was astonished to see the household chores were done." Serena continues "He looked everywhere as to who could have done the chores, but there was no one in sight. He figured maybe the Legendaries had helped him out."

"But one did." Ash grins at Melody

"For several days, after the Miltank herder left for work, Diancie came to life, cleaned, cooked and tidied." Serena continues. "On the fourth morning, the young man decided he had to find out which Legendary was helping him. He pretended to walk into the bush, but quickly made his way back and hid behind a tree. He watched in amazement as the pole came to life. There, standing before him, was perfection. He emerged from his hiding place, ran to her side and cried...

"I love you--will you marry me?" Ash asks no one in particular, as if Diancie is there.

"Diancie happily accepted his offer, and from that day on the Miltank herder was never lonely." Serena smiles. "Each day he returned home to the greatest joy he had ever known. For many months the Miltank herder and his Pokemon companion lived in great happiness. However..."

"Bad sign..." Brock warns.

"...one day the chief of the young man's tribe sent a messenger to call all the people to help repair the chief's huge corral, and no one was to stay behind." Serena continues The young man did not want the chief to see Diancie. He feared he might have to offer an explanation of who she was. This thought worried him, and so he said to the messenger..."

"I have no wife." Ash protests as the young man.

"You lie!" Brock snaps back as the messenger. "Many have spoken of your wife's beauty, and if she does not come with you, you will be punished."

Serena grins, pleased at the boys' acting skill. "So the Miltank herder and Diancie walked to the chief's corral, and when the chief saw Diancie, he decided she must be his own bride.

"You must not be married to a poor Miltank herder," Brock fills in the chief's lines. "You will stay with me and be my youngest wife."

"Wait a second, isn't that bigamy?" Misty asks.

"In those days it was customary for a tribal chief to have several wives." Serena explains. Misty nods to show she understands. "Anyway, the young man was distraught. Now that he had enjoyed such wonderful companionship, he could not bear the thought of a life without Diancie. So he came up with a plan."

Ash reaches for a familiar silver whistle as Serena goes on "He hurried home and retrieved his favorite silver whistle. Then, after disguising himself as a wandering minstrel, he returned to the chief's corral. There, surrounded by the chief's family and friends, he began to play a dancing song."

Brock starts the introduction to "Pikachu Went Out to Ride" as Serena continues over the song. "The young women were delighted by the sound, and soon, moved by the beat, they began to dance. As they danced, the Miltank herder began to sing, and his voice was so beautiful that eventually everyone stopped to listen."

Pikachu went out to ride, gitty-alon, gitty alon,
    Pikachu went out to ride, gitty alon and I.
    Brock sings.
    Pikachu went out to ride, sword and buckle by his side;
    Mecax, mekary, Ducklett-a-dil, gitty alon and I.

Emolga will marry me, gitty alon, gitty alon,
    Emolga will marry me, gitty alon and I.
    Emolga will marry me, ask my Pikachu, said she,
    Mecax, mekary, Ducklett-a-dil, gitty alon and I.

Ash adds a whistle flourish as Brock continues Pikachu, will you marry Emolga, gitty alon, gitty alon?
    Pikachu, will you marry Emolga, gitty alon and I?
    Pikachu, will you marry Emolga?
    Why yes, kind lad, by half my house, mecax, mekary, Ducklett-a-dil, gitty alon and I....

After another flourish, Brock begins the next verse. Emolga, where will the wedding be, gitty alon, gitty alon?
    Emolga, where will the wedding be, gitty alon and I?
    Emolga, where will the wedding be?
    'Ask my Pikachu' says she, mecax, mekary, Ducklett-a-dil, gitty alon and I....

The fiddle and whistle play together for a moment before Brock sings the final verse. Pikachu, where will the wedding be, gitty alon, gitty alon?
    Pikachu, where will the wedding be, gitty alon and I?
    Pikachu, where will the wedding be?
    At the top of a Cheri tree, mecax, mekary, Ducklett-a-dil, gitty alon and I....

The Pokemon clap along as whistle, fiddle, and guitar next play a jig-like interlude together. After a few renditions of the tune, Brock decides to scat along with the whistle for a moment before singing one last rendition of Mecax, mekary, Ducklett-a-dil, gitty alon and I.... to end the song, to thunderous applause.

"When Diancie heard that voice, she recognized the one she loved." Serena continues as the last chord fades into the night. "Her eyes filled with tears, her heart began to pound, she twirled around, and a moment later a great diamond storm rose up inside the corral. Swirls of diamonds tore across the ground, sending up whirling tornadoes and blinding everyone with their light. When at long last the dust settled and everyone could see again, Diancie was gone. On the ground where she had stood lay a carved pole."

After an uneasy silence, she goes on "The chief was beyond terrified, and he ordered the pole taken out of his corral. The minstrel agreed, of course, and carrying the pole beneath his arm, he bade the chief and the others farewell, and hurried home."

She then reveals where Diancie is "There the pole turned once again into his beautiful companion Diancie. They embraced and promised they would always be true to each other.

She grins at the others holding their instruments. "As for the chief, never again bothered the Miltank herder and his companion."

"Bravo!" Melody applauds. "The song was a nice touch."

"We get asked to play it a lot when we perform in libraries and schools." Brock explains.

"I can see why!" Serena smiles.

(real tale: The Cattle Herder's Magical Wife

What the Trio plays: Pikachu Went Out to Ride)

Senior Moderator

Tale 3: The Gift of the Fey (Ash)

"Before I begin, Melody, will you conjure a target for me?" Ash requests.

Karuto, iichiida shou... Melody sings, conjuring a target on one tree, as well as a bow and a quiver of 30 arrows for Ash.

"Thanks--you did say this requires stage archery to be told properly." Ash smiles at Brock as he slings the quiver on his back and sets the bow aside until he needs it.

"Wow...you shoot arrows live onstage when you tell?" Serena gasps, impressed.

"I don't tell them very often because the shot sometimes takes weeks and sometimes months of practice to get right--and let's not get into all the safety precautions, or we'd be here for days." Brock explains as Ash pulls on some protective bracers. "But when it all comes together, and audiences watch as I actually shoot an arrow live onstage, they say it is 'amazing' and 'inspiring'." Ash has been incorporating stage archery in his telling as well, provided I or another trained archer is there to help him rehearse the shot beforehand."

Once Ash is ready, he begins "In a far away land, there lived a band of fairies, ruled by the kind and wise Queen Titania. One day, Orla, the princess of the fairies, decided she wanted to see the world. So she transformed into a Fletchling..."

Karuto, iichiida shou... Melody fills in the spellsong.

"...and off she flew." Ash continues She returned that night and told her mother she had met a kind young farmer, whose name was Devin. A witch had cursed the poor fellow and his Miltanks, leaving them all very sick. The witch had the power to turn herself into a Buneary, and though the villagers and hunters chased her, she could not be caught. "The miller--who had a reputation as a miser-- knew her well, and helped her to hide."

"So what did Queen Titania do?" Serena asks, interested.

"Queen Titania's heart broke for Devin." Ash explains. "The other fairies didn't like to see their queen sad, and so they suggested she help him."

Brock switches out his guitar for his harp as Ash continues "So Queen Titania gathered a small blue pot, the spellbook containing all kinds of magical songs, and some healing potions, and set off to find Devin. When she got there, and he spotted her by the window, she explained that she had come to cure him of the curse, if he believed with all his heart. Devin was elated at this news, and thanked Queen Titania profusely, saying he would be forever in her debt."

"Aw..." Misty smiles as she pictures the joyous scene in her mind.

"Then, Queen Titania placed her small blue pot in the center of Devin's modest house. She then invoked the spellsong..." In his best mimic of a woman, Ash sings Rou iitsa ron selga vichii....

As himself, he continues "A moment later, the room swirled with scents of berries and herbs. Then Queen Titania summoned her attendants, and moments later, six of them appeared, and together they sang the great spellsong Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul....

Cheers mix in with the applause as Ash continues "In that instant, Devin's pale skin grew pink again, His unsteady limbs grew strong, his sores disappeared, he felt blood rushing through his veins, and he heard his Miltanks mooing from the fields with newfound vigor."

Brock waits for the applause and cheers to quiet before playing a mystical interlude. "Devin fell to his knees and asked Queen Titania what he could do to repay her." Ash explains over the harp. "Queen Titania just smiled and told him to travel to the plains by the cliffs and grow a fairy ring there. She also told him to build three walls around the ring, but to leave a space open to the sea. That way, the fairies would be able to come and go easily."

The harp's interlude begins to speed up to simulate the passage of time. "Devin eagerly did as he was told, and it wasn't long before a small ring of white mushrooms were growing at that place, surrounded by rock on three sides." Ash goes on.

Brock then stops the song as Ash interjects "But Queen Titania knew she had to find a way to overcome the witch’s power, and she knew the only way to do that was by the arm of a human. She asked Orla if she knew of any strong and brave men in the world of humans, and Orla suggested Devin."

Some giggles go up as Brock plays a bell-like riff to simulate a fairy flying. "Queen Titania made her way to Devin's house, and asked him to come with her to the fairy ring." Ash continues over the harp's dreamy melody. When he arrived, he found millions of fairies there, planting a pole in the ground. When the pole was planted, the fairies hung a mirror from the pole, and they fastened a many colored streamer from the top of the pole. They began to walk in a circle around that pole, with each fairy holding a bell in one hand and a cup of burning incense in the other."

After Brock plays "The Fairy Waltz" for effect, Ash continues "A few moments passed before Queen Titania asked Devin to look in the mirror. Devin looked, and saw the witch transform into a Buneary, and run into the mill. He agreed to meet Queen Titania there at noon."

"And then?" Serena asks.

"The next day at noon, right on time, Devin met Queen Titania at the door to the mill. She gave him a bow and some arrows." Ash pauses to pick up the bow before continuing. "She explained she had enchanted the arrows with holy magic, and when the clock in the town square struck three, he was to climb the hill and stand in the middle of the fairy ring. When he heard the click of the mill, he was to fire one of the enchanted arrows as fast as he could."

Excited whispers fill the air as Ash locates his target, hanging precariously on a tree about ten yards away from the campfire. "Devin did everything Queen Titania had told him, and just after three, he heard the click of the mill." Just then, the target slides into place with a click-like sound, signaling Ash that his target is in place and he is clear to shoot. "He looked up and saw the Buneary racing toward the mill, and he fired an arrow with all his strength."

With that, he readies an arrow and fires at the target, the whistle of the arrow breaking the evening calm.

The audience applauds when they hear the thunk of a successful shot. "The arrow reached its target, lodging itself in the Buneary’s skull, and she transformed into her true form." Ash continues as he sets the bow and arrows aside. "Devin called to all the hunters to come help, and so they did. They fastened the witch’s body to a Ponyta and dragged her to the bottom of the valley, where they buried her in a grave so deep, she would never escape. The townsfolk were elated the witch was gone, and rewarded Devin handsomely."

He concludes over a peaceful melody from Brock "The fairy ring Devin planted is still there today, and if you're lucky, you just might see the fairies and their magic mirror."

Misty leads the applause. "That was cool! I'd love to see you do more stage archery!"

(real tale: The Gifts of Fairies)

Senior Moderator

ale 4: The Giant's Captive (Brock)

"This next tale was the very first story I ever taught Ash--a Houen story called 'The Giant's Captive'" Brock explains as he plays a calm melody on his guitar to focus his thoughts.

He begins his tale as the last chord of his song fades away. "Once a fisherman and his son--let's call him Jiro--were at sea, when a terrifying giant appeared from the water and snatched Jiro from the boat. All Jiro's father could do was watch as his son was spirited away to the giant's lair." He plays a tense riff for effect, making murmurs waft through the small crowd. "The giant took Jiro to a pitch black room and locked him inside, telling him to not light a fire under any circumstances."

The audience listens to the guitar's mournful melody as Brock goes on. "Jiro huddled under a blanket, but the biting wind made him shiver, and on top of that, kept hearing ghostly noises. But with no fire, he couldn't tell if they were other prisoners or ghosts. On the third night, Jiro decided he was going to defy the giant's instructions and build a fire." He then stopped his song to interject "But with what?" Nervous giggles wafted through the crowd.

Giggles became uproarious laughter as Brock segued into the Mission Impossible theme. "So that night, Jiro snuck out of the cave, took one of the boats moored to the shore, and sailed back to his father's house. Once there, he requested some matches, flint, and tinder. As he hid the items in his son's clothing, Jiro's father told Jiro that if he was planning to escape the giant's lair, his wits would be the most valuable thing he could have." He stops the song to interject "Thankfully, the giant had no idea Jiro had gone and returned."

After playing a tense interlude, Brock went on. "Jiro lit his fire, and found out the source of the crying he had heard--a princess!" The girls whisper their predictions as he continues. "She had not seen any light in some time, so she yelped in surprise when she saw the firelight. However, that surprised yelp was enough to wake the giant, and it chased after Jiro!" Gasps went up at this as the guitar played a frantic melody.

Sighs of relief go up as the song calms down, but all eyes are on Brock as he continues. "Jiro finally lost the giant and took shelter in an alcove somewhere on the island. As he caught his breath, Arceus appeared to him and said..." In a low and deep male voice, he intoned "Long has the giant caused suffering in the land, but if you were to slay him now, he would still live, as his soul is not in his body."

As himself, he interjects "Jiro asked Arceus how he could shatter the giant's soul, and Arceus replied..." In his "Arceus" voice again, Brock assured the audience "On the other side of the ocean in a palace courtyard stands a post. Hit this post with your finger, and a sword will fall down from the sky. With this sword, kill an Ekans in the forest, and a Buneary will appear and race away. Catch that Buneary and cut off its head, and a Pidove will appear. If you can catch the Pidove when it flies to heaven, an egg will fall, and in that egg is the giant's soul."

As himself, he intones "Just as Arceus left Jiro, the giant discovered him!"

"Oh no!" Serena gasps, but giggles with embarrassment as Ash assures her all will be well.

"Jiro was taken to a high mountain peak, where he was left to die." Brock continues. It pained him to tell this part, but at the same time, his favorite part of the story was coming up. "Jiro spent two days shivering in the cold before working up the courage to climb down. The mountain path led to a forest, where he found four mages arguing over how best to divide the meat of a Stantler they had killed. Jiro skillfully cut the Stantler into four even portions. The mages each gave Jiro a mystical gem as a reward for helping them. The fire mage gave Jiro a ruby that would grant him Entei's strength and power. The wind mage gave Jiro an amethyst that would allow him to soar like the twin Eons. The water mage gave Jiro a sapphire that would allow him to swim like Kyorge. The earth mage gave Jiro an emerald that would allow him to dig as masterfully as Celebi."

"Wow..." Serena replied, but Brock just smiled, pleased that the small audience was enjoying his tale.

"Just then, the giant found Jiro again, but this time, Jiro was prepared--he held the ruby high and called..." He paused to play a D chord before he sang Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

"That never gets old..." Misty grins.

"Sure enough, Jiro glowed red with the power of Entei's fire, and managed to throw the giant to the ground." Brock continues. "While this didn't kill the giant by any means, it did buy Jiro enough time to get to the shore minutes before the spell wore off." He plays a "running" melody before continuing "Knowing the giant could find him at any moment, Jiro held the sapphire high and called..." Brock paused to play another D chord before singing another gibberish phrase. Rou iitsa von selga vichi....

The sung phrase echoes through the forest, riveting the audience. "Jiro glowed blue with the power of water, and easily swam to the palace courtyard with Kyorge's speed and grace. He easily found the post and touched his finger to it, and just as Arceus had said, a beautiful sword fell from the sky and landed at his feet." Brock continues. "Jiro wasted no time in killing an Ekans, and just as Arceus had said, a Buneary darted from the brush. Jiro knew that a human had no chance of catching up to a Buneary naturally, so he found his amethyst and sang..." He plays another D chord and sings another gibberish phrase, this one in a minor key. Karuto, iichiida shou...

A wind guest made the trees rustle as if on cue as Brock intoned "Jiro glowed with the purple energy of the wind, which gave him enough speed to catch up to the Buneary and cut off its head." He waits for the wind to die down before continuing "No sooner had he done this, did a Pidove appear and fly to the heavens...just as the spell wore off. So he evoked the amethyst again-- Karuto, ichiida shou....

"Aw, no wind..." Misty sighs when the wind does not respond to Brock's voice.

"This time, Jiro was able to soar through the sky, much like Latios and Latias. He caught up to the Pidove and caught it, causing an egg to fall from the sky. After he landed and the wind magic had worn off, he took the emerald and invoked the earth magic within." Brock then sings another gibberish phrase in D minor. Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo...

"Once Jiro had dug through the earth and located the egg, he returned to the island and smashed it on the rocks, killing the giant!" Cheers went up at this.

"The princess was elated that someone had finally set her free." Brock concludes over a triumphant interlude. "They returned to Jiro's homeland, where they fell in love and married not long after their adventure. But Jiro kept the four magic gems with him, just in case he needed their power again."

"Bravo!" Serena's applause is the most enthusiastic.

(real tale: The Giant and Pastaris)

Senior Moderator

Tale 5: The Laurel Wreath, part 1 (Misty)

"Once upon a time there lived a man and his wife and two girls." Misty begins. "One girl was the daughter of the man, and the other the daughter of his wife. The man's daughter--we'll call her Mina--was sweet and beautiful, but the woman's daughter--we'll call her Melanie--was selfish and ugly. However, her mother thought her the most beautiful maiden in the world."

"Mm-hm..." Brock smiles, intrigued.

"One day the man called to Mina and told her to come with him into the forest to cut wood." Misty continues. "They worked hard all day, but in spite of the chopping they were very cold, for it rained heavily, and when they returned home, they were soaked. Then, much to his annoyance, the man found that he had left his axe behind, and he knew that if it lay all night in the mud it would become rusty and useless. So he said to his wife..."

"I have accidentally dropped my axe in the forest, Tell Melanie to go and get it, for mine has worked hard all day and is both wet and weary." Brock requests as the man.

"If your daughter is wet already, it is all the more reason that she should go and get the axe." Misty replies is the stepmother. "Besides, she is a great strong girl, and a little rain will not hurt her, while my daughter would be sure to catch a bad cold."

As herself, she continues "The man knew there was no point in saying any more, and with a sigh he told Mina to return to the forest for the axe. The walk took some time, for it was very dark, and her shoes often stuck in the mud, but she was brave as well as beautiful and never thought of turning back merely because the path was both difficult and unpleasant. At last, with her dress covered in burs, and her face scratched by the twigs on the trees, she reached the spot where she and her father had been cutting earlier in the day, and found the axe in the place he had left it. To her surprise, three little Pidoves were sitting on the handle, all of them looking very sad."

"Poor things," Serena sighs as Min. "Why do you sit there and get wet? Fly home to your nest, it will be much warmer than this; but first eat this bread which I saved from my dinner, and perhaps you will feel happier. It is my father's axe you are sitting on, and I must take it back as fast as I can, or I will get a terrible scolding from my stepmother."

"She then crumbled the bread on the ground, and was pleased to see the Pidoves flutter cheerfully towards it." Misty continues. "By the time they had finished all the crumbs the doves felt much better, and were able to fly back to their nest in the top of a tree."

"That is a good girl," Ash comments in character as one of the Pidoves; "I really was too weak to stretch out a wing before she came. I would like to do something to show how grateful I am."

"Why don't we give her a wreath of flowers that will never fade as long as she wears it," a small sprite creature suggests as the second Pidove.

"And let the tiniest Fletchlings sit amongst the flowers," Serena agrees as the third.

"When Mina stepped into her house a wreath of laurel was on her head, and a crowd of little Fletchling were singing, sight unseen." Misty narrates.

Ash grabs a whistle and mimics a Fletchling song, to Serena's delight. "The father, who was sitting by the fire, thought that, in spite of her muddy clothes, he had never seen his daughter looking so lovely; but the stepmother and Melanie grew green with envy." Misty continues.

I'm...blue as I can be! Green with jealousy! Look what you've done to me! I've got those green...with envy blues... Brock sings, only to stop when he sees Misty glaring at him.

"When I want a musical number, I'll say so." Misty reminds him before continuing as the stepmother "How stupid to walk about on such a dreary night, dressed up like that,"

As herself, she continues "...she commented, and pulled off the wreath as she spoke, to place it on her own daughter. As she did so the roses wilted, and the Fletchlings flew out of the window.

"See what a gaudy thing it is!" she cries the stepmother, holding up some leaves to prove her point.

She explains as herself "But though she pretended to despise the wreath, she longed nonetheless for her daughter to have one just like it."

"Uh oh..." Serena giggles.

"Now it happened that the next evening the father, who had been alone in the forest, came back a second time without his axe." Misty explains as herself. "The stepmother's heart was glad when she saw this, and she said quite mildly..."

"Why, you have forgotten your axe again, you careless man!" she scolds as the stepmother. "But now your daughter will stay at home, and mine will go and bring it back."

As herself, she continues "Throwing a cloak over Melanie's shoulders, she bade her hurry to the forest. With a dour look on her face Melanie set out, grumbling to herself as she went; for though she wished for the wreath, she did not want to go to the trouble of getting it."

"Sometimes some things are worth the trouble to get it." Brock muses as he adds another log to the campfire.

"By the time she reached the spot where her stepfather had been cutting the wood Melanie was in a very bad mood indeed, and when she spotted the axe, there were the three Pidoves, with drooping heads and soiled, bedraggled feathers, sitting on the handle. Misty continues

"Stupid Pokemon!" she cries as Melanie, "Go away, or I will throw rocks at you!"

As herself, she continues "The Pidoves spread their wings and flew up to the very top of a tree, their bodies shaking with anger and fear.

"What shall we do as payback?" Serena asks as one of the Pidoves. "We were never treated like that before."

"I know," the sprite Pokemon suggests. She will never be able to say anything but gibberish to the end of her days!"

"They laughed so loud and so long with delight, they woke up all the birds in the trees nearby." Misty continues Meanwhile, Melanie had reached home angrier than ever; but as soon as her mother heard her open the door she ran out to hear her adventures."

She proceeds to role play the next scene by herself. "Well, did you get the wreath?"

"Nal kyrnawi kalipar pakliol utzilah!"

"Don't talk to me like that! What do you mean?"

"Kali kini gadurm!"

The boys laughter is the hardest at Misty's gibberish. "...Melanie continued, and try as she might, all she could say was gibberish." Misty continues as herself. The woman saw that something evil had befallen her, and turned in her rage to her stepdaughter Mina. As the father was away, she took a stick and beat Mina until she screamed with pain and went to bed crying."

"Ow..." Ash winces as he pictures the horrifying scene.

"If Mina's life had been miserable before, it was ten times worse now, for the moment her father's back was turned the others teased and tormented her morning, noon and night; and their fury was increased by the sight of her wreath, which the Pidoves had placed again on her head." Misty explains. "Things went on like this for some time, when, one day, as the king's son--we'll call him Brian--was riding through the forest, he heard some strange Fletchlings singing more sweetly than before. He tied his Ponyta to a tree, and followed where the sound led him, and, to his surprise, he saw Mina chopping wood, with a wreath of laurel, where the singing came from. Standing in the shelter of a tree, he watched her for a while, and then, hat in hand, he went up and spoke to her."

"Who are you, and who gave you that wreath of singing laurel?" Ash asks Serena as Prince Brian.

"I live in a hut on the edge of the forest," Serena answers as Mina. "As to the wreath, I don't know how it got there, unless it was maybe the gift of some Pidoves I fed when they were starving!"

"Prince Brian was delighted with this answer, which showed the goodness of the girl's heart, and besides he had fallen in love with her beauty, and would not be content until she promised to return with him to the palace, and become his bride. The old king was naturally disappointed at his son's choice of a wife, as he wished him to marry a neighboring princess; but as the prince had always done exactly as he liked, nothing was said and a splendid wedding feast was prepared." Misty concludes. "But the story is not over here...I'll tell you more on my next turn!"

"Aw...just as it was getting good too!" the sprite sighs.

"Don't worry, Melody." Ash assures the sprite. "The stepmother and Melanie will get their just desserts, okay?"

(real tale: The Enchanted Wreath

what Brock tries to sing: The Green with Envy Blues)