Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    I bet you could work sci-fi into fantasy. ;] I mean, if you do it right! And hm, you could always write down a bunch of inspirations and mix aaalllll their plots up to see what you get. xD

One of my favorite Sci-Fi writers, Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game series) described the difference between fantasy and Sci-Fi as this:

Fantasy always has trees.
    Science Fiction always has Rivets.

It always feels weird to try and mix the two for some reason. I'll stick to just fantasy since that's the theme though.

VPP

What about mechanical trees? O: BAM!

Good luck though. The only idea I've managed to come up with so far was late at night while my brain was swirling with weird.

Woaaaaahhhh this prompt looks dope. I, uh, have a couple of questions regarding scope/specifics in case I start messing up things this early in the week:

=You say "fantasy," but some of your examples--such as Inception, and especially The Matrix--are probably more in different genres. Are we supposed to stay in the realm of high fantasy (things like wizards and dragons, ala Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire, Harry Potter, and the things you mentioned in the first paragraph of the prompt), or are we supposed to err more on the side of "blow my mind"? I can see that going a lot of different ways.
    =What are the specific rules of "no humans allowed"--can they be mentioned in the story and never appear, or is this completely a universe where humans simply don't exist? What exactly defines a human, anyway? The Elves in LoTR, for example, are almost-human in appearance, and the Dwarves are basically smaller/violent humans, and the Hobbits are little humans who have furry feet and enjoy eating and smoking, but would you consider those to be human?

hi sorry I have loads of questions because this prompt is amazeballs

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Woaaaaahhhh this prompt looks dope. I, uh, have a couple of questions regarding scope/specifics in case I start messing up things this early in the week:

=You say "fantasy," but some of your examples--such as Inception, and especially The Matrix--are probably more in different genres. Are we supposed to stay in the realm of high fantasy (things like wizards and dragons, ala Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire, Harry Potter, and the things you mentioned in the first paragraph of the prompt), or are we supposed to err more on the side of "blow my mind"? I can see that going a lot of different ways.
    =What are the specific rules of "no humans allowed"--can they be mentioned in the story and never appear, or is this completely a universe where humans simply don't exist? What exactly defines a human, anyway? The Elves in LoTR, for example, are almost-human in appearance, and the Dwarves are basically smaller/violent humans, and the Hobbits are little humans who have furry feet and enjoy eating and smoking, but would you consider those to be human?

hi sorry I have loads of questions because this prompt is amazeballs
    On your first point, honestly, go both if you can! Fantasy and "blow your mind" kind of stuff. The more imaginative, the better. The rules are pretty loose on this one, so show me how you can let your wildest dreams go for the gusto with no speed limit. :)

Second point, true, they're not truly humans, but... they're kind of close. You could technically use them, but I'd sooner put a gold star on an entry where the writer created their own civilized races and/or their own mystical creatures.

Quick question! Would distantly mentioning humans (I.E. as a different species on a different planet that only one current person has ever heard of: kind of distantly) go against the parameter?

Also how long should the main character be protecting its someone/something? Should they already be a protector before it starts or would being put in charge of protect them/it early in the story still count? Just making sure.

VPP

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Morzone View Post
    Quick question! Would distantly mentioning humans (I.E. as a different species on a different planet that only one current person has ever heard of: kind of distantly) go against the parameter?

Also how long should the main character be protecting its someone/something? Should they already be a protector before it starts or would being put in charge of protect them/it early in the story still count? Just making sure.
    #1 That's fine, that wouldn't go against the parameter.

#2 They don't have to be a protector throughout the whole story. But at least at one point they should be one.

Good questions!

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Name: NobleJanobii
    WAR Team: Team Trainer
    Title of Entry: Exsul (Fun fact: it's the Latin word for outcast)
    Link to Submission: here

I would also like to point out ahead of time that whenever the character Shabara speaks, his language is intentionally choppy. It's because he can't speak Elvish properly. That's kind of explained but I thought I would just make that clear here.

In the words of John Steinbeck, "It ended because it had to."
    Last edited by Noblejanobii; 06-27-2015 at 11:29 PM.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    Name: Felly
    Team: Yoga Bears
    Story: Bears ♥ Flowers

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yo Neo, just letting you know, if you want to go ahead and start grading mine, you can. I just finished my grammar check. I'm not sure which is worse, the fact that the story was 22 pages long in Word, or my grammar.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire