Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Important Literary Date Detected…
    April 23, the day of Shakespeare's death…
    RNG override activated…

Today's Daily Literature Quote is…
    Quote Originally Posted by All the World’s a Stage monologue from As you like it by William Shakespeare
    “All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts,”
    Yes, I did override the RNG today. I actually wanted to use this as a chance to ask you guys what your thoughts were on an idea like this. On certain days of the year (holidays, important days in literature history, etc) I override the RNG and just pull a quote associated with the day. Let me know your thoughts below.

Anyway, this is actually probably my favorite Shakespearean quote. Like the intro to Romeo and Juliet is good and all, but I LOVE this monologue. The excerpt you see above I actually had to memorize for a play once and I can still spit that sucker out with no problem. It's great for impressing and freaking people out. That aside, this whole monologue itself talks about the stages of life and introduces people as if they are truly only actors with set lines, roles, and fates. The part where it says "and one man in his time plays many parts" actually refers to a person growing up, that they play one role as a baby and one as a child, etc. There's seven in all if I recall the whole monologue correctly. It's a good quote about life and how we change as we progress through it to the point where humans can be referred to as different characters as they grow older.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

2. This post has been liked by:

Fate 

Ah, the iconic Shakespeare quote. Touching on the theme of fate, it is implicit in the idea that we all perhaps are living out what has been scripted. Is there an audience? Who is the playwright – the one who knows how the play ends, and how we the characters interact? This quote is such an amazing and succinct metaphor on existence itself.

P. S. I don't mind the overriding. No harm in it. x3

When I saw on Google that today is the Let's-Remember-Shakespeare day, I immediately thought, "Hey, that daily literature thread should be Shakespeare today! I wonder if the RNG will give us Shakespeare." Don't have to worry about that now!

Regarding the monologue, I do love it a lot. Tried memorizing it once but I got lazy. It's kind of a sad way to look at life, but it's a fascinating way, nonetheless.

I'm going to tie it in to a Poe poem (coincidentally, Poe was yesterday!) called "The Conqueror Worm"--and this one's even sadder. It touches on the same "life is a play" theme but also states that life is spent eternally chasing something unattainable and that in the end, the play itself is a tragedy where Death is the hero, not man.

Anyway, thanks, Shakespeare, for your works!

Interesting. I do not believe in fate/a predetermined path, but I do believe that one can forge it. And it's true; even if it's not already written, everyone will have their exits. And entrances, obviously. Cool quote. except the obvious male-only pronouns 8/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    I do not believe in fate
    Not cool, dude.

7. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Interesting. I do not believe in fate/a predetermined path, but I do believe that one can forge it. And it's true; even if it's not already written, everyone will have their exits. And entrances, obviously. Cool quote. except the obvious male-only pronouns 8/10.
    I think that is mainly because in Shakespeare's time there weren't many female actors.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Fate View Post
    Not cool, dude.
    If I keep not believing in you, what will happen? Will you disappear?

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    I think that is mainly because in Shakespeare's time there weren't many female actors.
    Haha yeah. All the female characters were played by men.

If I keep not believing in you, what will happen? Will you disappear?
    Maybe I...never existed in the first place...

Maybe I...never existed in the first place...

12. This post has been liked by:

Fate 

Not cool, dude.
    Did you just increase your own counter?

| | |

How high can Tenacity get on the official Showdown Server's ladders?
    Spoiler:
    Format | Core Pokemon | Highest Rating | Highest Ranking | W/L

OU || 1677 | 497th/500 | 50/27
    Random | ? | 1605 | Unranked | 42/13