Did you just increase your own counter?
    Didn't count!

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Today's Literature Quote is…

Quote Originally Posted by Hamlet in the 'To be or not to be' Soliloquy
    "To be or not to be, that is the question."
    Ah, Hamlet. Truly an interesting and very weird play. Never the less, it has many of my favorite literary quotes. This is actually my second favorite quote from the whole play and my favorite soliloquy of the play. It does very well in contemplating the topic of suicide and death.

For those unaware, in this soliloquy, Hamlet speaks of suicide and whether or not it is worth truly dying at your own hands. In the line featured, Hamlet is actually asking whether or not he should continue to exist. He goes on to ask if death is merely just eternally sleeping and in death, do you dream? But then, if you are dreaming, do you encounter nightmares as well? And what happens if you become entrapped in these nightmares? It's really deep and I love it!

I actually had to do a parody of this soliloquy for a project in class earlier this year. Well, we had to do a parody of a scene or speech in Hamlet and I chose this speech. And before you ask, yes, I did have to record it. And yes, there is a video of it on YouTube. Here's the link: http://youtu.be/YgIFOpgSyrU
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

This is like the quote that Hamlet is famous for, everyone should know this or at the very least know that it's super Shakespearan in nature. I studied Hamlet when I was fourteen, watched like five or six iterations of the play. It was so....how should I say this, I wasn't very interested in the play but gosh, the soliloquy I knew (had to) by heart and I'd strangle anyone in my Literature class who did not.

I love parodies, and Hamlet's been the most common one. @Noblejanobii, Your pirate parody was really clever and witty, I thoroughly enjoyed it! ^.^

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Today's Daily Literature Quote is…

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett
    “Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one.”
    This quote can be taken in many different ways. For one, it simply could mean that people who like nonfiction probably won't like fiction. Secondly, it could explain why many people prefer to see the movies nowadays rather than read. What I think, though, is that it's talking about books with more controversial issues in their discussion like To Kill a Mockingbird. At the time of their publication, many books like this received intense hatred because they were controversial. No one could see what was the book's message was because the present prevented it from being anything else than it already was.
    / / / / / / / /

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post

This quote can be taken in many different ways. For one, it simply could mean that people who like nonfiction probably won't like fiction. Secondly, it could explain why many people prefer to see the movies nowadays rather than read. What I think, though, is that it's talking about books with more controversial issues in their discussion like To Kill a Mockingbird. At the time of their publication, many books like this received intense hatred because they were controversial. No one could see what was the book's message was because the present prevented it from being anything else than it already was.
    Absolutely agree with your interpretation. Things that push the boundaries, challenge the status quo and lie far outside the box are what gets people thinking and more often than not, those who are conservative in thinking will have their beliefs and ideals challenged and shaken which inevitably creates a stir and confer more attention onto the subject of controversy. This is why books are so powerful.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B. W. Tabor
    “One sure window into a person’s soul is his reading list.”
    This is an interesting quote that I actually had an IRL friend submit to me. Shout out to Shiloh for his submission! And since this was his quote, I'll let him post his take on the quote.

"Everyone has different tastes and you can see a lot about a person depending on their interest in books and what's on their "to read" list. For example, Sloane's (that's me) "to buy" list on her phone has seven books on the list that satisfy the fantasy genre and there are only eight books on the list. Fantasy readers are usually very whimsical, creative, and sort of outlandish in nature. Not in a bad way, but they tend to think in ways most people wouldn't expect. That's pretty much how Sloane is. You'll also notice that she has zero mystery solver books in her book shelves or on her reading list, because she's never been a big fan of mystery stories beyond Sherlock Holmes. This signifies a lack of patience to follow the story along clue after clue to the very end. Also a trait that Sloane has."

I pretty agree with everything Shiloh has to say. Shiloh's hugely into books that are really fast paced with riddled with action, like the Alex Rider series or the Maximum Ride series. Personality wise, Shiloh is very impatient and a bit of a daredevil. He's more willing to take risks than most and I think the books he has really reflect that well.

Hey @Fate @Lunar Latias @AWA1997 @Neo Emolga @Trainer17 @Suicune's Fire come welcome our guest speaker today!
    / / / / / / / /

Damn it! I saw the mention and was like, "YES, what quote of mine just got selected?" You lifted my hopes and then smashed them! >=(

I mean. Interesting quote! I've never thought about it before. But let's see. As a person, I'm impatient, restless, and a bit of a dreamer. Seems like an adventure or fantasy genre, but I'm not sure how much of those I read.

I generally stick to classics and mythology and stuff. And those are pretty foundational things. I do have an interest in digging into the heart of things and finding out how things started and changed and affected other things. I love seeing where things begin and I love being part of something from the start and watching it grow. I suppose that does reflect that aspect of me.

So, yeah! I'd say the quote is pretty accurate. But it seems a bit one-sided to me. You can tell what a person's like by what he reads, but what kind of person he is doesn't necessarily decide what he reads.

8. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fate View Post
    Damn it! I saw the mention and was like, "YES, what quote of mine just got selected?" You lifted my hopes and then smashed them! >=(
    I mean, if high school's taught me anything, it's how to raise hope only to crush people's dreams.
    / / / / / / / /

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I have a few books on my reading list:

• Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die by Chip Heath & Dan Heath - The reason why I got this one was because as a guy that wants to pursue a marketing career, I'm curious as to what kinds of things made for really good memorable ideas and how to get them to work with people. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it, but I've been kind of busy with other stuff lately.
    • Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman - Like the one above, this one delves further into human thinking, which again, might be helpful for career-related stuff.
    • Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard by Rick Riordan - This is mainly a fantasy book I wanted to jump into to keep the wheels in motion for liking fantasy books and trying to come up with inspiration when I plan out my own stories. I started it and it has been pretty good, but I still have quite a ways to go with it. I wanted to get through the first two books on this list.
    • Rip the Page: Adventures in Creative Writing - by Karen Benke. This was a birthday gift from my sister, and it's stuffed with fun, goofy, and thought-spurring creative writing exercises. I haven't tried any yet, but it seems like fun.
    • The Ryrie Study Bible - Another birthday gift from my sister. I have read the Bible before and have taken a few college classes with it, but this seems like a good refresher and delves deeper into Biblical understanding and reflection.

So, there's my list for all those who are curious. But yeah, I'd have to say that quote is right, and it does illustrate where the person's pursuit for knowledge and experience is driving toward, which gives others the insight as to where their passions are and what they want to learn.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I have read Gods of Asgard and trust me Neo, if you like sassy Protagonists, you'll love that book.
    / / / / / / / /

12. This post has been liked by: