@Scytherwolf @Soups

Episode 117a: Tie One On! (part 1)

"Nervous at all?" Misty asked Brock as she and Ash located him in the holding room for the Grand Lore Stage the next day.

"It's just now sinking in that I'm taking part in a Grand Lore Stage." Brock replied as he studied some highlights from elsewhere around the League, including Ash's victory the day before, and Misty and Michelle's commanding win in the Goal Roll earlier in the day. "I'm a little nervous, but I've practiced my material, so I should be okay."

"Any news from the other events?" Ash asked as he attempted to get a look at Brock's PokeNav.

"Well, Misty put on a grand show in the Goal Roll of the Grand Pokethlon, and they are still talking about your narrow win over Macy yesterday." Brock motioned for Ash to look at the highlights flashing by on the PokeNav. "Speaking of which...Macy saved herself from elimination by winning her second match, which also means that you and Macy are tied at the top of Group H, even though you only have to face someone named Jackson for your next match. That said, you only need a tie against Jackson in order to go on, while Jackson must win outright to force a three-way tie. On top of that, a second tiebreaker round-robin would be needed should Jackson win outright."

"Wow..." Ash was impressed.

Brock just smiled. "But I think you can advance, so go get'em!"

"Thanks, Brock!" Ash smiled as he and Misty turned to leave. "Break both legs in your performance!"

---------

[...and so I used a Hydro Pump to help me get up, and take out the Quilava at the same time!] Brenna finished her recap of the previous day's battle to the Bulbasaur on the videophone screen.

[Wow, that's amazing!] the Bulbasaur smiled before she noticed Luce in the background, [Who's that?]

[This is Luce, one of Ash's Johto Pokemon.] Brenna explained, prompting Luce to wave hello. [Luce, this is Saria, Ash's faithful Bulbasaur.]

[Nice to meet you.] Luce smiled.

"Aw, that's so sweet..." Misty smiled as Brenna continued her phone call, with Luce interjecting every so often. "You don't feel guilty about leaving Saria at home?"

"Not at all--after what happened at the Kanto League, she needed the rest." Ash replied.

Just then, he noticed Prof. Elm and a boy with pale brown hair talking in the Pokemon Center. "That must be my opponent in the next round..."

"Oh, Ash, hello!" Prof. Elm smiled as Ash and Misty approached him. "I was giving Jackson here some advice on what to use in the match. Why is Brock not with you?"

"He's getting ready to take the Grand Lore Stage." Misty explained, showing Prof. Elm that the storyteller before Brock had just started her tale.

"I'm sure he will do well..he clearly has a passion for the world's folklore." Prof. Elm smiled.

"Even though you are my next round opponent, I feel safe telling you my problem..." Jackson told Ash. "When I left on my own journey, I started with a Chikorita named Mint. Mint has only recently evolved into Meganium, but I didn't think to include her on my entry form..."

"Why not?" Prof. Elm asked.

"I didn't feel she was ready for this big a stage after evolving so soon." Jackson went on "I thought it would be better to save Mint for the Victory Tournament, but now that I look back, that was a mistake."

"There's still time to make changes--the match isn't until tomorrow." Prof. Elm assured Jackson.

Jackson smiled. "Thanks, Professor--maybe Mint is ready for the League!"

"Bring it on!" Ash challenged as Misty departed for the Grand Lore Stage stadium. "I can't wait to take on Mint!"

---------

Applause rang through the stadium as Misty arrived. I made it...the storyteller before Brock just finished!

She looked up at the bracket for the Grand Lore Stage on the scoreboard as she found Brock in the entry tunnel leading to the stage. If Brock does well in his performance, he has a chance to advance to the finals.

"Misty, am I glad to see you!" Brock heaved a relieved sigh when he found Misty approaching him. "I am in fact against the clock for the first round of the Lore Stage--any suggestions for a quickie with punch?"

"Try that really funny one about the vizir's great feast--that should get the crowd rolling in the aisles." Misty suggested.

Brock nodded. "Okay then...let's do this."

---------

Number K-93098, telling 'The Great Feast'. the announcer explained as Brock was invited on the stage to perform.

Once the clock on the scoreboard had displayed thirty minutes, a judge told Brock "The clock will begin when you start talking."

Brock took a deep breath to ease his nervousness, then began his tale. "In a far away land, the people could not stop complaining about their vizirs--what an official is called in some lands."

Intrigued murmurs wafted through the crowd at this. "The reason? They argued over anything and everything, and once they started arguing, it was anyone's guess as to when they would stop." Brock explained, nodding to Ethan and Lyra giggling in one of the front rows.

As if inspired by Ethan and Lyra, soft laughter rippled through the crowd. "Now, the vizirs knew what the people were saying, and they took it upon themselves to show their people they could conduct affairs in a civil manner." Brock went on. "So one day, they went into town, making small talk amongst themselves and saying hello to all they met."

He paused for a moment, then went on "Suddenly, they found a rare black pearl embedded in the sandy road. Their first thought was to debate what to do with it, but they remembered their promise to conduct affairs civilly. They decided to hold a great feast in honor of their friendship."

"Aw"s went up at this. "So the ten vizirs all went down to the food shop and used the black pearl to buy enough food for the whole city to be fed for a week and still have leftovers." Brock went on, to awed chatter. "There were potstickers, and puddings, meats both from the land and the sea, vegetables of all kinds, cheese, nuts, Berries, and a bewildering array of desserts."

"Mm"s filled the air at this. "Just before the vizirs could sit down to their massive meal, the ninth vizir saw that the palace gate was open." Brock continued. "He told the sixth to shut it, but he believed the first vizir should shut it. The first told the eighth, the eighth asked the fourth, and before long, all ten vizirs were fighting over who should shut the gate."

Laughter filled the arena as the crowd pictured the chaos. "The tenth vizir finally broke it up by saying the next person to say anything or stand up would close the gate." Brock explained as the laughter quieted. "So the ten vizirs began to eat, not saying a word to each other or getting up for seconds."

Lyra stiffled a giggle of anticipation at what crazy scenario Brock had dreamed up, "The open gate lured hundreds of Pokemon into the palace, and they wasted no time in devouring all the meat." Brock went on. "When every piece of Combusken, beef, and fish was gone, they moved on to the vegetables, fruits, cheeses and desserts. But the vizirs just sat there, oblivious to the Pokemon eating their food."

More laughter wafted down the rows at this. "Just then, a Growlithe mistook the tenth vizir's lip for a piece of meat, and bit down hard!" Brock announced.

The crowd howled with laughter as they pictured the tenth vizir dancing in pain. "When the others told him he had to shut the gate, they looked around and realized the food was gone, and there was now no point in closing the gate." Brock concluded. "They went their separate ways, not wanting to argue about the matter any more...at least until the next day!"

The crowd roared as Brock took a bow, but Ethan and Lyra's applause was the loudest. "Oh, that was so funny!" Lyra raved as she brushed away a tear of laughter. "I'll have to tell Hana that one!"

"Dundee might love it too." Ethan agreed. "I'll admit Brock has real talent...but you don't get this far on mere talent alone. He really loves doing this, and it shows."

---------

"Let's see..." Ash mused as he examined Jackson's profile on the PC that evening. "in addition to Azumarill and Meganium, he also has a Shiny Magneton, but Meganium is the strongest Pokémon on his team."

He looked over at Misty and Brock. "Any suggestions, you guys?"

"Cyndy would work well as a Meganium counter, and Tintri as an Azumarill counter." Misty suggested as she settled in to watch a sitcom on the TV.

"Your third competitor needs to be able to cover as many of those as possible should Cyndy or Tintri go down." Brock cautioned before joining Misty on the couch with his share of dinner.

After selecting his third Pokemon and sending in his entry form, Ash looked at the opening credits rolling on the TV as the show's theme song played. "Funny you guys are watching 'The Poke-Mom League'--maybe it will inspire me for my match tomorrow!"

He looked over at Misty. "Got room for one more?"

"Sure." Misty invited Ash to join her and Brock on the couch. "It's the one where the boy's mom interferes with his first Gym match."

"Rerun or not, 'The Poke-Mom League' is always a funny show." Ash grinned as the show began...

To Be Continued...