Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    I'd love to participate in this, but I'm not skilled in the slightest at drawing anything. We wouldn't be able to make out much from it. I can hear it now though, trying is the best way to improve, right? That's the thing sadly. I'd have to have a lot of time set aside even if it's just for one page. That or I could try and make it super silly

That is what we are going for in this right? Just one page at a time?
    @Neo Emolga swearing wise I'm not too against seeing that. I'm used to that kind of thing. If it's used then it's okay. I've seen some fanfic stuff use it. It all depends on the situation. As long as it's not overly used or used every other sentence.

Honestly? I used to think sexual themes in it wouldn't work well either. I'm not entirely for it, but I'm not completely against it either. Depending on how it's shown, it could work. Just don't go too far into the dark territory. Or even further than that in this comic I'd say.
    If you're not up for drawing pages, you are MORE than welcome to collaborate with a certain artist COUGHCOUGH by offering ideas for their page and helping with the writing. While we cannot plot ahead, each page does require some writing and brainstorming!

Thoughts on swearing/sexual themes are below as part of my response to Neo.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Hmm, forgive me if I missed a detail about this, but as far as I checked, I didn't see any details about this and it kind of came up in the worldbuilding thread.

What kind of situation will we have regarding mature content such as blood and gore, swearing, and sexual content?

Knowing well from nature, one animal eating another is a very bloody and gory mess and when it comes to Pokémon, I could imagine the same kind of situation could arise. And that's just one particular example aside from all the other ways a Pokémon could potentially die a grizzly death, especially if they're going on dangerous missions and adventures. Thing is, if that happens in the comic, it would have to be depicted. I agree that it shouldn't be overdone with guts and severed heads flying all over the place, but the characters coming across a half-eaten corpse, bleeding from injuries, or witnessing the death of another character would add to the threat and dangers that they're facing. My thing is if it would be shown in a nature show, it's possible to depict in the comic. But that's mainly my opinion.

As far as swearing goes, I generally think whatever doesn't get ***-ed out by the swear filter on the forum is fair game, but I'm not sure how other people feel about that. However, I think it's fair to avoid excessive swearing. Swearing for the sake of swearing shouldn't be tolerated. If it fits the scene- fine! Excessive swearing sometimes gives the feel that a writer is trying too hard to be 'mature' or 'edgy' (I hate that word, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.)

Lastly, as far as sexual themes go, I'm perfectly fine with romance and relationships, but I'm not crazy about the idea of seeing two Pokémon making out. That's a little too much into dark territory. But characters implying it by saying things such as "they've been seeing each other" and "we slept together" basically makes it obvious what's going on.

How do other people feel about this, though? I figured this would be good to clarify before anything gets started.
    Regarding rules on blood, gore, and explicit scenes... Blood -will- be allowed, but not in graphic detail. If we choose to have carnivorous Pokemon, artists would be encouraged to depict such a thing in a way that isn't graphic. For example, carrying a dead body with some blood around the muzzle/on the body is fine. No guts and heads rolling around. If you think it's something you'd see in a rated R movie, then it's probably too graphic. That said, you can chop off heads off panel or imply in ways that aren't graphic. That's perfectly fine. I did imply a charactrer getting ripped to shreds in PRS recently- in fact, I've had quite a few bits of violence here and there. I'll post them- I think this level of blood should be acceptable.

Spoiler:

SPOILER: Panel from an unposted PRS page
    Spoiler:

As for language- I say that 'crap' and 'damn' are perfectly fine. If you can get it through the PXR filter, then it's probably fine. Also try to avoid excessive swearing. Swearing for the sake of swearing should be discouraged. I know one comic that has so much swearing that it feels like that writer is trying TOO hard to be 'dark', 'mature', 'edgy' and it really takes me out of the story.

Lastly- romance and sexual themes. I've gotten quite a few people come to be expressing concerns over this. Some of the people who have signed up are not entirely comfortable with heavy shipping- so I think it would be fair to keep sexual themes out of this. Having crushes and couples is fine, but please keep it innocent romance- like you'd see in cartoons. It'd be preferable if shipping not be a main focus of the story or at the very least not pushed too strongly as a plot point since it may discourage some people from participating. As I'm one of those people who doesn't particularly like writing shipping, I don't have an example from PRS for this... I'll dig through a few Pokemon comics and see if I can find examples of what I would think is acceptable vs going too far.

Note: This is all my suggestion based on concerns people have communicated. These rules are not yet set in stone, so please feel free to offer feedback! I want to encourage a mature story that is still appropriate to all ages. (By mature, I don't mean mature content- I mean a story with a serious story that may or may not have some darker plot lines). By no means, however, do I want to see any of the participants to feel uncomfortable with writing scenes because of gore, shipping, etc. This is a suggestion we DEFINITELY need to have.

Pinging all since the above is something important. @MajorLeeMan @Suicune's Fire @Lunar Latias @Noblejanobii @Scytherwolf @NeonUmbreon

Quote Originally Posted by Zirilon View Post
    So, my art skills aren't where I would want them for something like this, but I did say I wanted to do more art this year so... I will participate if you would like. I am very good at world building and making random bit characters when they are needed.
    We're happy to have you on board!

2. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

All this sounds good to me.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

I agree with all points! I wouldn't be interested in including romance anyway... xD

I feel if we are going to determine this, we need a target audience. For example, if we want this comic so that a 16-year-old can read it, or an 8-year-old could read, then we need to set the theme appropiately. If our target audience is an 8-year-old, we probably wouldn't be showing blood pooling, but superficial wounds are okay. Whereas with a 16-year-old target audience, one could up the ante a little bit with lopped off limbs or something.
    But I'm personally a fragile soul. I'm all for reduction of the more mature themes, as I'm uncomfortable drawing them. I even told somebody I wouldn't draw kissing. I wanted this comic to be fun more than edgy, a read that would lift your spirits in the end. Like, something I would show to my posterity if this turns out great.
    Last edited by MajorLeeMan; 01-15-2017 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Grammer.

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    I'd love to participate in this, but I'm not skilled in the slightest at drawing anything. We wouldn't be able to make out much from it. I can hear it now though, trying is the best way to improve, right? That's the thing sadly. I'd have to have a lot of time set aside even if it's just for one page. That or I could try and make it super silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post
    Tagging @Chakramaster cause I literally told him the EXACT same thing before. xD You don't NEED to be some kind of epic, amazing artist. All you need to do is draw and have fun! If you feel you're not good enough, do what Neko said and practice. c: Plus Eric, you have me as a pair to teach you all the amazing super artsy secrets!

But if you're still not confident, you can leave the drawing up to me and I'll let you write the page. :p Either way you're joining
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekomata View Post
    If you're not up for drawing pages, you are MORE than welcome to collaborate with a certain artist COUGHCOUGH by offering ideas for their page and helping with the writing. While we cannot plot ahead, each page does require some writing and brainstorming!
    I SEE YOU THERE, ERIC, DON'T THINK YOU'RE NOT JOINING IN.

7. This post has been liked by:

I'll add my two cents on the topics of violence, sexual themes and profanity. In my own PMD story, all are present, none of these topics bother me on their own. What does bother me is when they are used simple for the sake of having them. If something makes someone uncomfortable it's not necessarily a bad thing as long as it is adding something to the overall story. Unfortunately these themes tend to get a bit out of hand so keeping them to a restricted minimum is probably best for all.

Administrator

@Nekomata hmm, true. I'd be all for helping brainstorm some things or dialogue. Since that could be pretty tough. Hey, even if it's something funny and witty that'd be good. Buuuut I forgive one day I'd create something anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post
    I SEE YOU THERE, ERIC, DON'T THINK YOU'RE NOT JOINING IN.
    aaaaaand according to Gemma....I'm joining. So go ahead and sign me up! :p
    Last edited by Chakramaster; 01-16-2017 at 01:22 AM.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

10. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I'm all in agreement with the terms. :3

Quote Originally Posted by MajorLeeMan View Post
    I feel if we are going to determine this, we need a target audience. For example, if we want this comic so that a 16-year-old can read it, or an 8-year-old could read, then we need to set the theme appropiately. If our target audience is an 8-year-old, we probably wouldn't be showing blood pooling, but superficial wounds are okay. Whereas with a 16-year-old target audience, one could up the ante a little bit with lopped off limbs or something.
    But I'm personally a fragile soul. I'm all for reduction of the more mature themes, as I'm uncomfortable drawing them. I even told somebody I wouldn't draw kissing. I wanted this comic to be fun more than edgy, a read that would lift your spirits in the end. Like, something I would show to my posterity if this turns out great.
    Very good point! I hadn't even thought of that, haha. I think going for a teenage audience would make more sense, as I feel as if that's the demographic who would go looking for pokemon comics to read anyway. I think maybe 13+ would be good. 13 year olds won't care if there's "crap" and "damn" and some blood in there. xD We could always make it 15 and up to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zirilon View Post
    I'll add my two cents on the topics of violence, sexual themes and profanity. In my own PMD story, all are present, none of these topics bother me on their own. What does bother me is when they are used simple for the sake of having them. If something makes someone uncomfortable it's not necessarily a bad thing as long as it is adding something to the overall story. Unfortunately these themes tend to get a bit out of hand so keeping them to a restricted minimum is probably best for all.
    I agree with you! If it's just chucked in there willy nilly, it's not really worth having it in there at all. I think we should stray from anything you won't see in a cartoon.

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    I'm fine with what everyone's said regarding violence.

Shipping...eh, I'd honestly prefer there was none in it, but if it's minor stuff (and I can draw pages without it as I don't really like romance), I don't mind.