So I might be moving out.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    Yeee!

So I might be moving out.
    Hmm, are you going to stay in NJ or going out of state? If you're going to stick in NJ, I'd say stick more toward the southern NJ areas, because it gets madly expensive as you start going north.

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Hmm, are you going to stay in NJ or going out of state? If you're going to stick in NJ, I'd say stick more toward the southern NJ areas, because it gets madly expensive as you start going north.
    The situation is this:

My band's guitarist and dad are currently living with relatives, and plan to move out by June. They invited me, since they know I've expressed interest in moving out. The criteria on location is that the guitarist needs to be able to commute to Edison for college, and obviously I need to be able to commute to my college in Ewing. We're definitely not looking much further north than Edison, for the reasons you said. The main issue is that Edison and Ewing are about an hour apart, so commutes will be long-ish no matter what. Somewhere around South Brunswick would probably be optimal, since that's in the middle of the Edison and Ewing. But we're just looking anywhere that's between Edison and Ewing.

My Links

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    The situation is this:

My band's guitarist and dad are currently living with relatives, and plan to move out by June. They invited me, since they know I've expressed interest in moving out. The criteria on location is that the guitarist needs to be able to commute to Edison for college, and obviously I need to be able to commute to my college in Ewing. We're definitely not looking much further north than Edison, for the reasons you said. The main issue is that Edison and Ewing are about an hour apart, so commutes will be long-ish no matter what. Somewhere around South Brunswick would probably be optimal, since that's in the middle of the Edison and Ewing. But we're just looking anywhere that's between Edison and Ewing.
    Not bad, I think your biggest issue might be traffic. It tends to be like hell when you get closer to New Brunswick.

But yeah, as long as you stay around there or go further south, you should be able to avoid the high rent junk and sketchy areas of NJ.

Administrator

Some places are just outright crazy to live in unless you have an outstanding job with pay. It's insane they expect us all to live like this. Jobs are hard enough to come by, but insurance and the like with it? Oh man it's tough.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    Some places are just outright crazy to live in unless you have an outstanding job with pay. It's insane they expect us all to live like this. Jobs are hard enough to come by, but insurance and the like with it? Oh man it's tough.
    I avoid those places entirely. A lot of people are moving down south because everything up here is becoming too impossible to afford. As a result, these places are going to sink or swim. Lower your rent and costs, or just stay abandoned and unused and start inviting crime once there's no one around to pay taxes. That's how it works! Sorry, but I'm not paying 800K-1M for a townhouse, but that's what they go for around here.

In the meantime, I always avoid the word "luxury." That to me is a red flag whenever they plop that in front of anything. "Luxury" houses, townhouses, apartments, condos, cars, whatever. You're paying extra for a word.

Administrator

I avoid those places entirely. A lot of people are moving down south because everything up here is becoming too impossible to afford. As a result, these places are going to sink or swim. Lower your rent and costs, or just stay abandoned and unused and start inviting crime once there's no one around to pay taxes. That's how it works! Sorry, but I'm not paying 800K-1M for a townhouse, but that's what they go for around here.

In the meantime, I always avoid the word "luxury." That to me is a red flag whenever they plop that in front of anything. "Luxury" houses, townhouses, apartments, condos, cars, whatever. You're paying extra for a word.
    Yeah people throw in that word hoping to draw attention to it. Yet, that word alone is what brings in more money. Cause some people fall to it. It sucks that it's becoming so expensive up there. I would've love to move up there one day. A regular 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath house like that or so shouldn't cost in the 800k-1m range. Heck I've seen smaller houses cost way too much. I don't understand how someone can hope to sell it for so much. It's like someone bought it, had second thoughts, and thought they could make their money back and more.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    Yeah people throw in that word hoping to draw attention to it. Yet, that word alone is what brings in more money. Cause some people fall to it. It sucks that it's becoming so expensive up there. I would've love to move up there one day. A regular 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath house like that or so shouldn't cost in the 800k-1m range. Heck I've seen smaller houses cost way too much. I don't understand how someone can hope to sell it for so much. It's like someone bought it, had second thoughts, and thought they could make their money back and more.
    Well, at the end of the day, it just means we'll need to hunt around a bit more for a place that's maybe a little older, but more affordable. In time, the prices of these places will have to come down. The owners of these places will still be paying property tax year after year while depreciation works it's magic in the form of harsh weather, pests, and other fun things that causes these places to deteriorate. If they're not making money from the sale or rent of these things, they're just going to be losing money because they got too greedy.

Around here, even the small houses are unaffordable and are still in the 400K-600K range. It's like they're expecting our generation to just be cool with barely living paycheck to paycheck paying for rent paying upwards of 1500-2000 per month for a sketchy studio apartment. Nah. I've already found other areas where none of this nonsense is going on so that's what I'm aiming toward. They can keep their "luxury" houses and apartments. I'm sure the spiders and mice will get a kick out of them. XD

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Not bad, I think your biggest issue might be traffic. It tends to be like hell when you get closer to New Brunswick.

But yeah, as long as you stay around there or go further south, you should be able to avoid the high rent junk and sketchy areas of NJ.
    Yeah, Route 1 will most likely be a thing anywhere so that kind of stinks. But I already take it for 4 miles to school (getting off at the I-95 extension, if you're familiar with that), and it's not bad if I leave early.

My Links