garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar

[PXRWC] Conclusions/Feedback/Suggestions/Whatever

I hope I was specific enough in the title...

Alright, so the Winter Carnival came to a close a few minutes ago! It was an awesome ride, and I had a lot of fun planning it! I think it came a long way from being a few scribbles in my Discrete Structures notes, hah.

Of course, it was far from being all me, so I want to thank all the staff involved that helped me bring this to life! Thanks to you all, this event was brought to new heights, I believe!

Anyways, enough of me rambling. What did everyone think? What did you like about it? What did you dislike about it? What did you hate about it?

I think the main aspect I'd like to hear feedback on is the length. It got off to a slow start, thanks to my genius-self deciding to start it on New Year's Eve. I won't lie; I was getting a bit worried. XD But after everyone sobered up finished partying on New Year's, it sure came to life! At first I was afraid it would end a bit short, but I think the last few days things simmered down.

Events also! What was your favorite event? If I'm in a place to do this next year, what events would you like to see?

In general, post your thoughts here! Anything from the amazing parts to the horrendous parts (which I hope there was a shortage of :D). I wrote "enough of me rambling before", but I swear this time I mean it.

Enough of me rambling.

\drops mic

EDIT BECAUSE I'M FORGETFUL: Just a general reminder that you have until January 27th to spend coins!

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

2. This post has been liked by:

Whatever.

That took care of the last part. Anyway, I had good fun! Most of it was spent on the Showdown server, which I'm very happy was given some new life thanks to the event. That was my favorite part of the event. It was fun hanging out in the server talking to people and battling ones I've never battled before. And waiting as the thing wouldn't connect because someone killed it yet again.

And I thought the length was just fine. Wasn't too short that I couldn't get all of what I wanted and wasn't too long that I'd be working forever. That's one thing, though: Showdown was pretty much the only way to continue earning points (which is fine for me because I love it, but I imagine not for everyone). I would have liked some sort of daily activity I could do with other parts of the event for coins, too--like "write a haiku a day for 30 coins" or somethin' like that. And perhaps add in things during the course of the event and surprise us, rather than laying out everything in a completed form and saying, "Have at it!"

Overall, though, I'd say that was a great success. I enjoyed it--especially spending some time with some of your guys--and enjoy the cool stuff. ;] Thanks to Eric-saur and the staff for makin' this a great Winter Carnival! /two thumbs up

4. This post has been liked by:

First of all, special thanks to @Bulbasaur and the other managers of this winter carnival! It was a very fun event! :D

In my opinion, the length of the event was just fine. My favourite events were the Scavenger Hunt and the Showdown battles, but giving coins to the members who voted in the Member of the Year event was a great idea as well, because it avoids competition between the events of the forum. :)
    I agree with @Fate when he writes that there should have been another daily activity in addition to Showdown. It wasn't a problem for me because I liked the Showdown event and I managed to earn enough coins for what I wanted to buy in the prize shops, but it may be a good idea anyway.

Once again, special thanks to the fantastic managers of this fantastic winter carnival! o/

Special thanks to Fate for this cute avatar and this cute banner! :D
    Special thanks to AD for this awesome Chikorita GIF! :D

6. This post has been liked by:

Administrator

@Bulbasaur it was a really great event! I may not have participated this year myself, but hopefully come next year if this returns (which I'm sure has a really good chance of returning :D ) then I'll be here to join. Heck, I'd even like to help host something next time too! Just gotta find out what that may be. The Scavenger Hunt and Showdown seemed to be really popular. It wasn't until late in the event we started seeing the stories jump out. Those were some really fun reads too xD.

Come next year we can start planning on it early again and figure out what's best for any adjustments to make next year's event EVEN better! =D. Great job on everyone for this event once again and thank you to all who participated! It wouldn't have been so successful without all of YOU! =D

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

8. This post has been liked by:

LOVED the carnival! I think it really did pick up a few days into the year and became a lot of fun to participate in! For me, I'm terrible at Showdown so I would have liked some other way to continue earning coins, like the others have said. A daily challenge would have been great, as well as some other events. There were only four events, which were outnumbered by even the prize shops! That's completely fine and all, but perhaps a drawn art event would have been nice in addition to sprite art (especially since we have many more drawers than spriters) and probably some other neutral things that people could participate in such as the scavenger hunt, which is extremely accessible, and MotY voting. Having casual activities that aren't really contests, like what Cleobel mentioned, in addition to things that are more contest-like, such as the spriting and writing (which you can get awarded more points for).

So yeah, more ways to earn coins I suppose! Then I would have also spent a lot in all the shops, which I'm sure would be nice for the shop operators. :) Oh and all the prize shops were amazing! My only suggestion there would be that there were two tokens from the event--one you can buy, and a standard one that anyone who earned coins got added to their profile just for participating. :D The one you buy could have been some extra special funky one or something. XD

BUT these are all "ways to make it even cooler" suggestions as opposed to "these are the faults" because I don't think there were any faults! It was well-rounded and fun, and I felt like I had to work for the coins while it also seemed quite casual. A really good mix. :D All in all, amazing job to you, Bulbasaur, and everyone else who helped to run the event! ^v^

10. This post has been liked by:

URPG Staff

Yeah, this was a fun event that has a lot of room for positive growth. I think it turned out awesome.

I do agree that another daily/regular way to earn coins other than battling would have been fun! I'm not much of a battler, and I seldom have the urge to really want to. Agree to a different kind of art event; I started to sprite but ended up prioritizing the writing since it had higher base rewards. And I'm just a filthy procrastinator that ran out of time because of it.

However, I loved it and thought it was fun. I love that a lot of things aren't very competitive, and more of just participating for the sake of it--it keeps things really positive and generates a nice feeling of camaraderie, in my opinion. It also leaves a lot of room expansion. Keep up the great work. <3 <3

head ranger / expert curator / ace chronicler
    urpg stats
    / national park stats / deviantart

12. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

It was awesome and I feel bad I didn't really participate too much beyond having the graphics shop stuff, but yeah, I felt making sure requests were done relatively quickly was a bigger priority. I was trying to think of ideas to go for with the story contest, and while I had a few figments of ideas floating around, nothing really seemed usable as a coherent storyline and I just didn't get around to coming up with a solid thing to work with. That and I'm a bit better at coming up with a funny story rather than a heartwarming one. If there was an art contest (I can't really do decent sprites), I think it might have had a better go with something like that. Or yeah, something like a silly poetry section would have been great. :)

I agree with the general suggestion that having more events to participate in for coin income would have been great, because as it was mentioned, while all of the events would give you at least some coins, Showdown was the only way to keep a continuous income going. I think having more of those one-on-one games where winning gets you some coins would be great. Any kind of online game where you can take a screenshot of a winning game to verify a win for coins is perfect. And if you can find something like that which is Pokémon-themed, all so much the better.

Still, you started off small, got some great success, and there's plenty of room for this kind of thing to grow. Great work, dude! :D

14. This post has been liked by:

Administrator

I may not have participated, but I think it went over very well! Everyone looks to have had fun and that's the major point! It provided a lot of fun activities to bring on the forum and kept it active in places. I'm sure if it comes back next year (which I'm sure it will or be completely improved and even more popular) then it'll be totally worth the wait!

Great job everyone who helped to host and make this event the awesome event it was!

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Senior Moderator

The pleasure's all mine!
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"