Page 231 of 513 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233241281331 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,310 of 5121
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    For me, I'm just having a tricky time deciding exactly how I'd have my comic idea start off. Usually there's a very intense opening with comics to hook and grab the reader's attention, but I'm still deciding exactly what that should be.
    That’s a big one to struggle with. Starting out mid climactic scene only to backtrack, starting from the very beginning, starting after something big has already happening and just explaining. It’s tough. I still don’t know how I’d start mine. I’ve only thought on major events mainly. Not how to lead up to those points. It’s easier to think of awesome things that WILL happen versus how it all began.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    That’s a big one to struggle with. Starting out mid climactic scene only to backtrack, starting from the very beginning, starting after something big has already happening and just explaining. It’s tough. I still don’t know how I’d start mine. I’ve only thought on major events mainly. Not how to lead up to those points. It’s easier to think of awesome things that WILL happen versus how it all began.
    Yeah, it's the same with movies. You have to hook the viewer/reader in FAST because attention spans are short. While it may seem necessary, don't do a lore buildup right in the very beginning. If something out of the ordinary doesn't happen within the first few minutes of diving into it, people will look elsewhere.

I made that brutal mistake with the novel I'm still trying to get published. Knocked out like five pages worth of introductory/exposition material just to jump ahead to where the story gets wild. I haven't tried submitting it again since then, but I'm waiting for a colleague of mine to give the red-lined version a look through first. I changed the ending around as well since the original submission.

Man, trying to get something published is BRUTAL. It feels like most places don't even want to try it unless you're famous, you have already published something in the past, or you know someone on the inside.

Administrator

Yeah, it's the same with movies. You have to hook the viewer/reader in FAST because attention spans are short. While it may seem necessary, don't do a lore buildup right in the very beginning. If something out of the ordinary doesn't happen within the first few minutes of diving into it, people will look elsewhere.

I made that brutal mistake with the novel I'm still trying to get published. Knocked out like five pages worth of introductory/exposition material just to jump ahead to where the story gets wild. I haven't tried submitting it again since then, but I'm waiting for a colleague of mine to give the red-lined version a look through first. I changed the ending around as well since the original submission.

Man, trying to get something published is BRUTAL. It feels like most places don't even want to try it unless you're famous, you have already published something in the past, or you know someone on the inside.
    Like I told Gemma. My mom actually knows a writer and hangs out with her. Maybe I can talk to her and see if she can contact her publisher and hook you up? That is IF she’s okay with it or can.

The time is upon us...

Senior Administrator

Like I told Gemma. My mom actually knows a writer and hangs out with her. Maybe I can talk to her and see if she can contact her publisher and hook you up? That is IF she’s okay with it or can.
    Ohh, I'd love that. It feels like something you need to network with to get anywhere with it.

Things are not quite ready yet with the revised version I'm having my coworker review, but I'll take a raincheck on that. Seriously, I would appreciate that BIG TIME when the time comes!

5. This post has been liked by:

Administrator

Ohh, I'd love that. It feels like something you need to network with to get anywhere with it.

Things are not quite ready yet with the revised version I'm having my coworker review, but I'll take a raincheck on that. Seriously, I would appreciate that BIG TIME when the time comes!
    Cool deal! No worries! I can at least give her a heads up and see if it will be an option for when the time comes.

The time is upon us...

7. This post has been liked by:

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar

I didn't know you had a book you want to publish! That's awesome. But yeah, everything I've heard about the publishing process sounds so intense. I still might want to try publishing in the future (I have several novel ideas I've been thinking about), but not any time soon as I'm in no way ready for that.

I wish you all the luck in getting in published whenever you decide to submit it again, though! I would love to read a book written by you.

9. This post has been liked by:

Senior Administrator

Cool deal! No worries! I can at least give her a heads up and see if it will be an option for when the time comes.
    Cool beans! I would love that, but I'm also working on the sequel in the meantime. But yeah, just resorting to the spray and pray tactics for contacting agents hasn't been getting any success for me lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
    I didn't know you had a book you want to publish! That's awesome. But yeah, everything I've heard about the publishing process sounds so intense. I still might want to try publishing in the future (I have several novel ideas I've been thinking about), but not any time soon as I'm in no way ready for that.

I wish you all the luck in getting in published whenever you decide to submit it again, though! I would love to read a book written by you.
    I started it way back in 2007, which seems crazy now, but it's taken a lot of twists and turns along the way and I'm up to Editor #2 when it comes to how it's been reviewed. She said I tend to go into a lot of detail, more than what's probably necessary, which... eh heh, is probably true. There are times when the last thing I want is for someone to visualize it totally wrong, but you know, everyone's got their own perception on things and it's okay if people imagine things differently.

It's tough. I've heard only 1% of manuscripts submitted get published. In fact, if you read the story behind how Harry Potter got selected for publishing, it was almost sheer luck.

Thanks, I wish for good luck for you too if you decide to take on the challenge! I feel really strongly about this story though. It's fun, it's a different take on the typical fantasy novel, but I feel it has an unexpected ending and finishes off nicely. I've written plenty of "just for fun" stories in the past and they've come and gone, but this one I feel as though it would be a shame if it doesn't hit the presses. From time to time I flip through it and it still makes me smile and laugh and I know there's GOT to be other people out there that would enjoy it.

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    Cool beans! I would love that, but I'm also working on the sequel in the meantime. But yeah, just resorting to the spray and pray tactics for contacting agents hasn't been getting any success for me lately.

I started it way back in 2007, which seems crazy now, but it's taken a lot of twists and turns along the way and I'm up to Editor #2 when it comes to how it's been reviewed. She said I tend to go into a lot of detail, more than what's probably necessary, which... eh heh, is probably true. There are times when the last thing I want is for someone to visualize it totally wrong, but you know, everyone's got their own perception on things and it's okay if people imagine things differently.

It's tough. I've heard only 1% of manuscripts submitted get published. In fact, if you read the story behind how Harry Potter got selected for publishing, it was almost sheer luck.

Thanks, I wish for good luck for you too if you decide to take on the challenge! I feel really strongly about this story though. It's fun, it's a different take on the typical fantasy novel, but I feel it has an unexpected ending and finishes off nicely. I've written plenty of "just for fun" stories in the past and they've come and gone, but this one I feel as though it would be a shame if it doesn't hit the presses. From time to time I flip through it and it still makes me smile and laugh and I know there's GOT to be other people out there that would enjoy it.
    Oh wow, 2007 is when I started my Pokemon story! And yeah, I know what you mean. There are certain things in my stories I want people to visualize a certain way, darn it! I'll probably make illustrations for my stories if I ever publish.

Yeah, I've read a lot about that before. The odds are definitely not good and it's discouraging sometimes. My brother is writing stories to publish, I want to talk to him about this stuff again sometime.

Thank you! And that sounds awesome! My novel ideas are all fantasy stuff too and the one I've been thinking about a ton recently involves dreams merging with reality (I like writing about dreams XD). For now all those stories are "just for fun" but who knows. It frustrates me that there are creative stories like yours that don't get published even for reasons like it "might not sell well" because it's different from the norm (I've talked with other authors and they've said things about this). Like I get that publishers are trying to make money and stuff but it's so frustrating. I want to see stories that do new and different things. /end random rant

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yeah for me with my comic I’m starting it off with a mission. That was I get to briefly touch on the basic dungeon mechanics as well as kinda show how missions go. The plot won’t really kick off until the end of the second mission to somewhat mimic the fact that we don’t really hear or see anything about Treeshroud Forest until after our second or third major mission.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Administrator

Yeah like with jobs. It’s almost like you really gotta know someone to get any luck in getting any success. That just sucks. Hopefully things take a turn for the better soon.

The time is upon us...