Page 30 of 513 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast
    The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

So Boy Scouts from my understanding is more wilderness survivalist training whereas Girl Scouts is more... frilly. We learned how to sew and cook and make pottery and paint and such. Sure we did a creek hike and archery and went camping once in a blue moon but it wasn't the same.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Administrator

That's about all I've ever heard besides the cookies. Is there was some seeing and cooking involved, but it wasn't like the Boy Scouts where they learned to hike, tie knots, make a came fire, pitch tents, etc. still kinda odd, but they're losing that over time. Both Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I have heard cases where in several Girl Scout troops, the only emphasis was on selling cookies. That's pretty shameful in my honest opinion. That's essentially turning little innocent girls into a sales force to guilt-trip people into buying cookies by solicitation.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yeah I've heard that too. I got pretty lucky in that my troop was run by my mom. And for as much wrong as she has done throughout my life, this was not one of them. She actually hated selling cookies with a passion. So we spent only the necessary amount of time cookie selling. Then she'd orchestrate events like teaching us how to belly dance and sew and such. She didn't like how constrained we were activity wise so we did go camping a little bit but it was just like sleeping in cabins without air conditioning.
    / / / / / / / /

Senior Administrator

I don't think it's a big deal if there's just a little bit of emphasis on cookie selling, but that's the only thing I hear of them doing. Meanwhile, you see pictures of these girls going rafting, camping, and all kinds of other activities when I haven't heard of any of them doing that.

Although I remember in cub scouts, they wanted us to sell light bulbs, which seemed odd. Why that of all things?

Administrator

only thing I can remember off the top of my head is a fundraiser for my Elementary School. It had a little pamphlet that had items of what you could sell people on it and all I had to go by was family. It was some really odd things. I can't remember any, but only real group I was with like those was Awana for a Church in 6-7 grade. That was able out xD.

Yeah though, forcing young girls into the Girl Scouts JUST to sell cookies is wrong....unless it's a separate branch and that's what it was made for. Just for the Girls that wanted to do that and couldn't spend time in the other.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Senior Administrator

Oh yeah, we had a fundraiser thing in elementary school where we were supposed to go around selling magazine subscriptions and we could get little "prizes" if we sold a certain number of them. And a bike would go to the top seller. Every year they tried to pull these shenanigans and enticed kids with all kinds of prizes and such. Sure, go talk to random strangers and hang around in sketchy places! Go try selling them to your parents who feel they need to buy one to help their kid not feel bad having zero sales.

I'm sorry, but using kids as your sales force and luring them in with goodies and stuff should be criminal. Kids that age aren't aware they're being used like salesmen on commission and think it's to help the school when all it's doing is allowing someone to profit off of them. Instead, kids should be encouraged to do volunteer work and stuff like that. Reward that kind of behavior instead.

8. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

God yeah. In my elementary and middle school for years we only sold like wrapping paper and it was so boring cause we didn’t even sell it remotely close to Christmas time which meant no one wanted any!
    / / / / / / / /

Senior Administrator

I think the only other time I buy wrapping paper when it's not Christmas is when I'm out of Happy Birthday wrapping paper and someone's birthday is coming up (but even then a solid green or red wrapping paper could still be used for a birthday and no one will know the difference). But yeah, there's a golden opportunity to sell that kind of thing around the holidays and your school totally missed that one.

Even then, buy your Christmas wrapping paper when the season's done. The discounts are insane and it'll be just fine to use next year.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yeah it was ridiculous. Girl Scout cookies sold much better.
    / / / / / / / /