Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    I've been reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

| | |

How high can Tenacity get on the official Showdown Server's ladders?
    Spoiler:
    Format | Core Pokemon | Highest Rating | Highest Ranking | W/L

OU || 1677 | 497th/500 | 50/27
    Random | ? | 1605 | Unranked | 42/13

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    I just finished the first book in the Gallagher Academy about a week ago and I've started Fairest by Marissa Meyer. It's definitely… interesting but it's a villain's backstory so I guess that's to be expected.
    I love Marissa Meyer, but Fairest is probably one of the most messed up books I've ever read. Levana is flippin' nuts.

In other news, I've been reading...a lot of books that should probably go unmentioned here due to certain content, but other than those...surprisingly a number of horror books. Finally remembered The Suffering by Rin Chupeco was out, and then followed it with Courtney Alameda's Shutter. Both were fantastic--I love authors who can mix horror and humor well.

My dA | My FF.Net Avvie and sig made by me!

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I love Marissa Meyer, but Fairest is probably one of the most messed up books I've ever read. Levana is flippin' nuts.
    She's so messed up. SOOOO messed up. On so many levels. Also I just realized your username is Winter. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!

Though I will say it's cool to see so many connections to the original series. I keep seeing names and I'm like "OH HEY it's that character that'll become this person eventually."
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Shruikan View Post
    This thread :P
    I've been reading the Fablehaves series by Brandon Mull. Specificly, I've just started the Fourth book. They're quite good, but you can tell they're his first novels, as the writing seems a bit clunky at times.
    I loved those books! They were the sort of stuff I read as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
    I've been reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
    My other favorite dystopian, after 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    She's so messed up. SOOOO messed up. On so many levels. Also I just realized your username is Winter. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!

Though I will say it's cool to see so many connections to the original series. I keep seeing names and I'm like "OH HEY it's that character that'll become this person eventually."
    She is messed up, but I think she does a good job of explaining why she is messed up. It's not like one of those villains where they were just born evil, or mommy and daddy just didn't love her enough. It was a very interesting and badly timed culmination of things...and it explains a lot about her as fans of the series have come to know her up until Fairest's release. (And I thoroughly enjoyed writing a character analysis for her as a final project for a class for this reason.) Lol, Meyer does a good job of doing that with all of her prequel works, if you haven't read them.

And while the lovely Princess Winter is among my fav--nevermind, pretty much the entire main cast of The Lunar Chronicles are my favorite characters. I literally can't pick. But sad as it is to say, my username actually has its roots in Bleach. XD Which I have also been reading recently. Along with several comics run through Line Webtoon.

My dA | My FF.Net Avvie and sig made by me!

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    She is messed up, but I think she does a good job of explaining why she is messed up. It's not like one of those villains where they were just born evil, or mommy and daddy just didn't love her enough. It was a very interesting and badly timed culmination of things...and it explains a lot about her as fans of the series have come to know her up until Fairest's release. (And I thoroughly enjoyed writing a character analysis for her as a final project for a class for this reason.) Lol, Meyer does a good job of doing that with all of her prequel works, if you haven't read them.

And while the lovely Princess Winter is among my fav--nevermind, pretty much the entire main cast of The Lunar Chronicles are my favorite characters. I literally can't pick. But sad as it is to say, my username actually has its roots in Bleach. XD Which I have also been reading recently. Along with several comics run through Line Webtoon.
    I feel I should be a bit concerned though when I was reading it and I recognized a character's description and I went "oh yeah it's that guy that's going to die later." XD I thought that to myself in the middle of class and I just kind of paused and made a .-. face and a friend of mine just leaned over and whispered, "What sadistic thought is it this time?"

But yeah, and while I haven't really looked into the Evil Queen's backstory (like the original fairy tale) from what I've heard, it sounds pretty accurate too so kudos to her. Makes me wanna do research. BUT I STILL FEEL SO BAD FOR THE BABIES. AND FOR THE GUARD. AND I AM ONLY LIKE HALFWAY THROUGH. AND THIS CONCERNS ME ON SO MANY LEVELS.

My favorite's Cress but I'm biased because Rapunzel.
    / / / / / / / /

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
    My other favorite dystopian, after 1984.
    Ah, you're a big fan of the classics! I've read 1984 too.

Spoiler:
    I didn't like the ending, I'm a sucker for love.

Have you read Hugh Howey's Silo series?

| | |

How high can Tenacity get on the official Showdown Server's ladders?
    Spoiler:
    Format | Core Pokemon | Highest Rating | Highest Ranking | W/L

OU || 1677 | 497th/500 | 50/27
    Random | ? | 1605 | Unranked | 42/13

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
    Ah, you're a big fan of the classics! I've read 1984 too.

Spoiler:
    I didn't like the ending, I'm a sucker for love.

Have you read Hugh Howey's Silo series?
    Only Wool I'm afraid.

I'm reading Star Wars: Shadow Games by Michael Reaves and Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff. It's pretty good. Not as much action as I'd like in a Star Wars book, but still entertaining.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I just finished Fairest and I'm just sitting here screaming internally. I actually sent Winter a PM of me screaming. XD

BUT THAT ENDING WAS NOT OKAY!! IT MAKES GREAT DEALS OF SENSE BUT IT IS NOT OKAY!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!! *flails arms in an angered fashion*
    / / / / / / / /