Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

Use of Neo’s characters done with his permission.

Note: Abbee and Dylan’s Epilogue is absent, as there are elements of their characters I wanted to explore in Spiritwater, however given it fizzling out, I don’t want to rush it. Will explore their characters and paths more in Eon Academy, and probably wind up with their epilogue’s there. As for Brianna, I need to rethink some of her plans. But all will be explained. Eventually…

Jon Drake

Eon Academy

Six Weeks Later...

Six weeks had passed since the end of the Spiritwater Crisis. Since it came out that the Pokemon League, assisted by First High Seas Champion Jon Drake, and the presumed dead Diamond Ladies had played a part in preventing a Shadowcraft apocalypse, Jon’s phone had blown up. Mostly Chris, one of Jon’s first students, asking if the rumors were true, that Jon had acquired another Legendary Pokemon?

Jon was surprised however, by how good the publicity was, and not just for him. Considering #BurnTheWitch and #F**kJonDrake was trending around this time four years earlier, the turnaround was still unexpected. As was Cassandra confirming that Triad, the mysterious group of Shadowcraft wielders that had helped avert disaster, were in fact the Diamond Ladies, and alongside Jarena, and a few weeks later, Violet, decided to join Jon at the Eon Academy. Joining them at the Academy, was Willow, a member of Agatha’s coven who realized the danger she presented, before defecting alongside her Latias partner, that Jon’s Latios had loved being reunited with, it being many years since the siblings were together under peaceful circumstances.

Whilst the Eon Academy’s true asset was its summer program, this year having been the fourth before Jon had to cancel it in light of the tip off of Agatha and her call, during the other nine months of the year, the Academy was much quieter, with the occasional schools spending a week there during the school year, and it being mostly used for making improvements to the site, or planning the next year.*

Having heard their desire to enrol at the Eon Academy, and heard their goals and hopes for what the future held, Jon reworked Dylan’s position from the first year that he stayed at the Academy, being an intern of sorts, with the year spent training and growing their skills, alongside helping to prepare for the next summer, where they would work as interns themselves to put the skills they learnt into practise on helpless and unsuspecting teens. After which, they could choose to stay and continue, or follow their path elsewhere, depending on how they felt afterwards….

It was mid-afternoon when Cassandra found herself waiting out the front of the locked battlefield, with Jon cutting it awfully close to being late for their training session, which she had picked up quite early was out of character for him. She pulled out her phone to double check he hadn’t cancelled and instead found a text from Alyssa.

”Sorry he’s late. Come to the house, and you’ll see why…”

Cassandra didn’t have to knock on the door for Alyssa to let her in. She was waiting, and stifling a laugh. She put her finger to her mouth, gesturing for Cassandra to be silent, and led her through the house, towards the lounge room. Sitting on the couch as Super Sylveon Smile Squad played fruitlessly on the TV, was Jon, head resting back, mouth hanging open, and asleep, as Amelia, Lili, as he called her, sat next to him, equally catatonic to her father, resting against his arm.*

“She’s barely left his side since he got back…” Alyssa whispered, trying to not laugh. “It’s starting to catch up with him…”

“She definitely takes after her Dad…” Cassandra replied.

Hearing the chuckling, Jon began to stir, however he and Alyssa’s three-year-old remained sleeping, as Alyssa picked her up to put her into her bed.

“I can reschedule, if you’ve got other things to do?” Cassandra asked, half joking.

“No, it’s fine…” Jon answered. “I love her to bits, but if I have to hear that theme song, or the magic being the friends you make along the way, one more time, I think I may lose it…”

An hour later the pair were in the stadium, Cassandra’s Ampharos battling Jon’s Jolteon. After a long and tiresome exchange between the two electric types, intentionally chosen to prevent Cassandra from relying on type advantages, Jon pulled Jolteon back, figuring that they were passing the point of diminishing returns. As he took a breath, he looked up, and stifled a laugh.

“What’s up?” Cassandra asked, as she called Ampharos back.

“I’m just sorta surprised that in the four years I’ve been at this place, I haven’t had to repair any Latios shaped holes in the ceiling…” Jon answered. “If he keeps behaving himself, I might have to stop calling him Wrecking-Ball…”

“Well, if he wants to, there is another similar shaped Pokemon who could make finding a suspect confusing…”

“Yeah, don’t tell him that…” Jon laughed. “I don’t think he realizes, and I’d hate for him to start again, especially after a beer or two…”

“Latios trying to take the tome, and leaving the hole in the chapel wall was what confirmed that you guys were onto us,” Cassandra laughed. “You should have heard Jarena! ’I swear, if I find out whose Latios that was, they’re toast!’

“I would have been turned into a Dunsparce?” Jon asked, remembering the first conversation.

“A Dunsparce that felt like they were under the influence of a cocktail of recreational drugs…” Cassandra joked, before noticing Jon missing a Pokeball. “Latios off with Latias again?”

“Yeah, they’re pretty inseparable these days,” Jon answered. “I’m hoping they get it out of their system before next summer, because we are already breaking records for registrations…”

“How many?” Cassandra asked, this being the first she had heard of the numbers.

“One hundred and eighty and counting…” Jon answered. “I’d put half of it being the coverage from Akala, the other half being that the staff have a total of eleven Legendary Pokemon between them, and kids are hoping to be able to see them in person…”

“Wait, what?” Cassandra asked in shock. “We’re nearly a year off and that many kids are registered?”

“I know, I’m gonna have to build more lodges…” Jon laughed. “If the numbers keep increasing, I might need to think about buying the nearby land, or even opening another campus somewhere else…”

Cassandra thought over what Jon had said about Legendary Pokemon, particularly two of the three in his care.

“How’s Rayquaza doing?” Cassandra asked. “He took a bit of a beating bringing down Giratina and Marshadow…”

“He’s recovering well. I can actually let him out of the Pokeball now and not worry about being thrown into prison,” Jon laughed.

“I never got around to asking, since he kinda made an appearance out of nowhere when Giratina first showed up, but is he…” Cassandra began, feeling slightly embarrassed at having to classify a Pokemon with such a harsh label, having lived as one herself, and having done more damage before that than most Pokemon do.

“Safe?” Jon asked, as Cassandra nodded. “I am ninety-nine percent sure. I have taken him somewhere far from people every few weeks since we caught him, with the exception of a period of time when I was under government scrutiny, and in that time, he hasn’t given me reason to believe he will hurt anyone. He is proud, and wouldn’t go back on his word to us…”

“But all that time, he hadn’t been around other people until Akala...” Cassandra asked, more finishing Jon’s own thought, than questioning it. Jon nodded.

“Occasionally Dylan would tag along, as well as Chris, one of the interns who earned my trust, and could keep a secret. And after the Deoxys incident, Charlotte would come most of the time and we’d alternate between working with Rayquaza and Deoxys, but yeah…” Jon explained. “Until Akala he saw a total of four people since we captured him. And I am certain enough that he has calmed down and is safe, but until I see it for sure, I’ll hold onto him. It was the same with Latios. I kept him away from people until I knew he was safe, but even then, I had to make sure...”

“So you’re going to release Rayquaza eventually?” Cassandra asked. She noticed Jon’s face darken a little.

“Not as soon as I want to…” Jon answered. “I might start competing again, because it's not fair to Rayquaza to be kept in a Pokeball all the time now that he can be let out without any repercussions. Especially since I will need to hold off releasing him a little longer… But I need to hold onto him until Giratina is safe…”

Cassandra shuddered at the mention of the Legendary Pokemon. Rayquaza struggled to restrain it, and Jon was lucky to have been able to capture it himself. Jon still hadn’t let it out of the Pokeball.

“I don’t know Giratina’s nature outside of the influence of having Agatha as a trainer…” Jon explained. “I will train it at the same place I trained Latios and Rayquaza, but Rayquaza is the only Pokemon I have that can restrain it, and keep it in check, and it could take years before Giratina can be released without the risk of it rampaging…”

“And what if it is never safe?”

“Then for its own sake, I hope that it learns to appreciate my company…” Jon said solemnly. “I really do want to set it free one day, but I can’t take any chances…”

Cassandra brow furrowed over the conversation. Whilst she did want Giratina to live a normal life like other Pokemon, however, seeing the damage that Giratina did, and the people it hurt...

“But maybe things will work out,” Jon added, sensing the hopelessness permeating the conversation. “We thought that we needed to hex Rayquaza to force him into a Pokeball, when really, we were able to earn his respect. I don’t know how, but maybe I can earn Giratina’s?”

“Maybe…” Cassandra replied, though wanting to change the subject. “Aside from taming a potential demon, what does the future look like for you and Alyssa? All we’ve talked about until now is what the three of us are wanting.”

Jon laughed.

“Really, I just want to live a normal-ish life,” Jon answered. “Not a nine-to-five, but if I can go the rest of my life without another mission like Akala, then I’d be pretty happy. Maybe I’ll compete again, and defend my title. Maybe I’ll stay here and teach. Kind of taking it a year at a time, you know? Alyssa is slowly getting back to working as much as she was before, so maybe I’ll end up as a trophy husband, and spend my days looking after Lili...”

“If you start competing again, and the League lifts my ban, we might end up facing each other again. Granted on a more equal footing…”

“Well if you want to beat me, then stop stalling,” Jon teased. “You gotta be able to beat me here before then…”

Jon sent out his Scizor, as Cassandra grinned, remembering its battle against her and Victini. Jon guessed what that smile was about pretty quickly.

“For months after he got here, Victini wouldn’t stop talking about how he owed Scizor one for that fight…”

“Did he ever get it?” Cassandra asked.

“I’d always Baton Pass Scizor out when Victini appeared,” Jon said with a grin. “Partly to wind Victini up, and also because I think that Victini could probably put Scizor in hospital for a few weeks now…”

“Who’s stalling now?” Cassandra asked as she readied a Pokeball.

“Point taken…”

2. This post has been liked by: