View Poll Results: Would this work?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think this idea would be successful.

14 87.50%
  • No, I do not think this idea would be successful.

0 0%
  • I am unsure.

2 12.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It's no worries! And yes, I think that will likely be the most difficult part; especially finding the right people to assist as mentors. And about the students, that's actually another reason I created this thread first...so we can see who all is initially interested. ^^ Thanks!

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

I know we would make sure it was well known and we could advertising on Facebook and Twitter and the site.
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

Senior Administrator

Administrator

And though I don't see the forum admins opposing you, I'm happy to post a good sprite guide on PXR's site.

If you would like to make a PxR sprite guide on the main page, then thats totally your call. :> And yeah, I see what you mean.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by ray_quazaa View Post
    And though I don't see the forum admins opposing you, I'm happy to post a good sprite guide on PXR's site.
    I like the guide but i think I have misunderstood whats going on in this thread. I thought this was a discussion about setting up a sprite school..lol

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

It is but it doesn't mean we couldn't post tutorials on the site.
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

Senior Administrator

Administrator

The School's main documents could be on the site or duplicated on the site and forum with the interaction being on the forums itself.

8. This post has been liked by:

That wouldnt be a bad idea. On the main threads I would most likely have links to external tutorials. After all, most of this planning has included me searching for the same type of tutorial by different people. Found several fantastic guides. Everyone has their own way of doing things, so I figure that if I have a variety of guides for one lesson then it will help students feel a little more free and not limited to following one guide word for word. Also, Ill likely type of some type of comprehensive guide myself for them all. Im going to work on the Color Theory lesson as soon as Im back home.

Edit: Hey guys, I'm bolding out this entire edit because I want to make sure I provide extra emphasis on this.

This spriting academy will not be working with the Pokemon sprite edits a lot of us are familiar with. We will start with the basic elements of pixel art--some of the most important ones--and work into making things ourselves...without having to edit from a base. If you feel uncomfortable with this, you guys should probably let me know so I know who all to expect.

On the other hand, if you are aware of and comfortable with this, I would appreciate if you would let me know about that, too.

Thanks for your time, everyone!
    Last edited by SassySnivy; 03-06-2014 at 12:08 AM.

------------

Inside my mind, trying to grasp the reality of the world
    I don't know about this. I think that more people would be interested in making pokemon sprites and working off a base rather than learning pixel art in general, but that's just my take on it. I might be interested in doing a little teaching, even though my work isn't the greatest. This applies only if it's more pokemon spriting though, because I really can't do any other pixel art otherwise lol. I think this is a good idea that would help get the spriting community a little more active around here.

11. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Palkia View Post
    I don't know about this. I think that more people would be interested in making pokemon sprites and working off a base rather than learning pixel art in general, but that's just my take on it. I might be interested in doing a little teaching, even though my work isn't the greatest. This applies only if it's more pokemon spriting though, because I really can't do any other pixel art otherwise lol. I think this is a good idea that would help get the spriting community a little more active around here.
    Thanks for the feedback, Palkia. I'm always really glad when someone points out a [pretty significant] flaw so that I can think up a solution! Really, not being sarcastic. ^^; I love positive, neutral, and negative feedback all the same.

You make a pretty good point. Actually, I probably should post up the lesson plans for the rest of the ranks--or at least progress on it--because more of the filler classes contain more Pokemon-based pixel art things. I'll show you!
    Spoiler:
    Rank 1 (Freshman)
    Main Classes
    --Color Theory I: Color terminology, introduction to hue-shifting, choosing colors)
    --Prerequisites: None
    --Line Art I: Creating smooth and effective line art
    --Shading I: Shading basic forms; basic shadow and light source properties
    --Prerequisites: Color Theory I
    --Perspective I: Overview of basic perspectives: isometry, axometry, head-on / sidescroller
    --Prerequisites: Shading I, Line Art I
    --Anti-Aliasing: Explanation of anti-aliasing
    --Prerequisites: Shading I, Line Art I
    --Pixel Art Taboos: Things to avoid in pixel art
    --Prerequisites: Shading I, Line Art I, Anti-Aliasing
    Filler Clases
    --Isometric I: More in-depth about isometric perspective
    --Prerequisites: Perspective I
    --Objects I: More in-depth about pixelling basic objects
    --Prerequisites: Pixel Art Taboos, Perspective I
    --Overworld: Basics about the "overworld" POV in spriting
    --Prerequisites: Shading I, Perspective I
    --Pokemon Sprites I: Red, Blue, and Green Style
    --Prerequisites: Perspective I, Pixel Art Taboos

Rank 2 (Sophomore)
    Main Classes
    --Color Theory II: Basic color conservation, in-depth hue-shifting
    --General Anatomy I: General overview of anatomy of living things
    --Shading II: More complex forms, alternate light source perspectives
    --Prerequisites: Color Theory II
    --Pixel-Overs: Overview of tracing in pixel art; utilizes shading and line art
    --Prerequisites: Shading II
    --Dithering: Types of dithering: 50%, Stylized, Random, Interlacing
    --Textures I: Basic textures and applying shading to them
    --Prerequisites: Dithering
    Filler Classes
    --Animation I: Basics on animation: frames, movement
    --Pokemon Sprites II: Gold, Silver, and Crystal Style
    --Prerequisites: Shading II, Dithering
    --Objects II: More complex objects.
    --Isometric II: Applying knowledge to isometric pixel art

Rank 3 (Junior)
    Main Classes
    --Shading III: Mimicking and finding your own style
    --Prerequisites: here
    --Blocking: Pixel art method that starts with shapes intead of lines
    --Color Theory III: Advanced color conservation, working with very limited palettes
    --Texturing II: Description
    --General Anatomy II: Description
    --Title: Description
    Filler Classes

Rank 4 (Senior)
    Main Classes
    Filler Classes

However, maybe I should add more things like this for filler classes? For instance I'm really regarding adding something kinda fun like those TCG pixel overs. Does anyone have any other suggestions, perhaps? Something that's potentially pretty fun / enjoyable. However, using your point, I wonder if making these Pokemon based things be extra classes that require prerequisites...would you think they would give people an incentive to reach that goal, perhaps?

@Canadian Palkia

------------