Page 30 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast
    I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

Ah right then. So these side quests would happen, but not in the story? And would there be a new thread for them so they aren't mixed up?

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Ah right then. So these side quests would happen, but not in the story? And would there be a new thread for them so they aren't mixed up?
    Yeah it would be a new thread. Again that part is easy its deciding how the RNG roll would work. How much it would cost. Also the points wouldnt transfer over, so how the captures would work would need to be a little different, or trainer would have access to a certain amount of their normal points to start with. This may be expensive.

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

Maybe like WFL? From what I heard, that was an RNG. Each Pokemon would have a set probability of seeing and catching. Type of ball, post quality and other factors influenced the probability of capture.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Maybe like WFL? From what I heard, that was an RNG. Each Pokemon would have a set probability of seeing and catching. Type of ball, post quality and other factors influenced the probability of capture.
    Okay so the way URPG did it was you have an area, in that are there is specific set of pokemon. You have to buy the pokeballs and the items. Certain items would make it more likely to find rare pokemon.

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

ERROR! DOES NOT EXIST! The Nonexistent Tazz's Avatar
    I really think we SHOULD separate the main quest from the sidequests, in terms of threads.

However, I really agree with the Operator's ideas on sidequests over yours, Achilles. Like, in every way. My main issue is that GCeA is NOT the URPG (NOR the ASBL): The facility in the UPRG (Which, if memory serves me correctly, is the Safari Zone, which we'd already visit anyways) is made with the URPG's mechanics in mind. Considering how GCeA works, there really isn't any way to mesh those mechanics smoothly enough for it to really work. We can't just throw stuff into GCeA, we have to make it REALLY work for GCeA.

My suggestion is to have the points and items from the main story be continuous into the sidequest, on the catch that you cannot post in the main story until the sidequest is done. You are not with the group at all during this sidequest at all. The fact that one or two people are going alone on a sidequest will amplify the difficulty naturally, even if the amount of Pokemon and Enemies is equivelant to the main games. Having (possibly) more items and points from the main crew is going to be a mercy, and if that's not the case, you can supply a few bonuses as a mercy rule.

As for the quest itself...I would pre-plan SEVERAL plots without any player input (read: They don't get to do anything inconvenient to the plot), in addition to one each with player input. Those without player input could be be partaken with a pair of random trainers, possibly cross-version (Jacob teaming up with Jello, IE, or Dash with Ginji), while those with player input are done alone (the aforementioned Craig-Tracks-an-Absol-through-utterly-miserable-conditions thing, not like that's what I had in mind...). They can be turned down before the start of the quest.

The quests themselves should have more wild Pokemon and rarer wild Pokemon, per post, than the regular thread, and just to make sure nobody misses out, the wild Pokemon will include any wilds available from either thread (though, to prevent overkill, only one or two), as well as the reward. On that note, the reward shouldn't be limited to a Pokemon: Who says a one-use artifact that grants Psychic powers that actually help the trainer isn't an equally good reward? (Yes, I have an idea how to make Psychic Powers of that level actually usable in the game without becoming a story-breaker power, if your curious). Or a set of Evolutionary items? Perhaps something important to the main plot that makes the team's lives much easier? Really, the reward could be far more than a Pokemon.

I admit, you are the GM, but I have to say my opinion on this. :P

Quote Originally Posted by The Nonexistent Tazz View Post
    I really think we SHOULD separate the main quest from the sidequests, in terms of threads.

However, I really agree with the Operator's ideas on sidequests over yours, Achilles. Like, in every way. My main issue is that GCeA is NOT the URPG (NOR the ASBL): The facility in the UPRG (Which, if memory serves me correctly, is the Safari Zone, which we'd already visit anyways) is made with the URPG's mechanics in mind. Considering how GCeA works, there really isn't any way to mesh those mechanics smoothly enough for it to really work. We can't just throw stuff into GCeA, we have to make it REALLY work for GCeA.

My suggestion is to have the points and items from the main story be continuous into the sidequest, on the catch that you cannot post in the main story until the sidequest is done. You are not with the group at all during this sidequest at all. The fact that one or two people are going alone on a sidequest will amplify the difficulty naturally, even if the amount of Pokemon and Enemies is equivelant to the main games. Having (possibly) more items and points from the main crew is going to be a mercy, and if that's not the case, you can supply a few bonuses as a mercy rule.

As for the quest itself...I would pre-plan SEVERAL plots without any player input (read: They don't get to do anything inconvenient to the plot), in addition to one each with player input. Those without player input could be be partaken with a pair of random trainers, possibly cross-version (Jacob teaming up with Jello, IE, or Dash with Ginji), while those with player input are done alone (the aforementioned Craig-Tracks-an-Absol-through-utterly-miserable-conditions thing, not like that's what I had in mind...). They can be turned down before the start of the quest.

The quests themselves should have more wild Pokemon and rarer wild Pokemon, per post, than the regular thread, and just to make sure nobody misses out, the wild Pokemon will include any wilds available from either thread (though, to prevent overkill, only one or two), as well as the reward. On that note, the reward shouldn't be limited to a Pokemon: Who says a one-use artifact that grants Psychic powers that actually help the trainer isn't an equally good reward? (Yes, I have an idea how to make Psychic Powers of that level actually usable in the game without becoming a story-breaker power, if your curious). Or a set of Evolutionary items? Perhaps something important to the main plot that makes the team's lives much easier? Really, the reward could be far more than a Pokemon.

I admit, you are the GM, but I have to say my opinion on this. :P
    First no character is going to have psychic powers strong enough to break the story. That is not even an option. GCEA has covered powers already, its not something that is going to play big roll in the story.

Second GCEA doesnt have the activity to have people disappear for long periods of time. If Jacob were to take off for a side quest GCEA Rubys activity would drop down to far. This is why I am considering side quests being outside of the story.

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

So, is the rest of what I said good then?

As for why you can't post in the main story...Well, that's two sources of points for the guy posting. :P That breaks the game quickly, as it's been proven time and again. The side quests are going to be harder than the main quest, if only because you're alone. I see your point, though. Perhaps the posts in the sidequest shouldn't count for points at all?

Okay here what i was thinking about side quests

Sidequests
    * Have a separate thread
    * Points in the side quest will stay there.
    * Sidequests can feature rare evolution items and pokemon (latio good suggestion)
    * You can only bring back a limited amount of things to the main story
    * Sidequests are mostly for one character but we could discuss team ups.
    * The points you earn during the sidequest are the points youll use to capture. Items will be available to buy for the sidequest like pokeballs and potions.
    * The side quest will feature pokemon that have been used and more rare pokemon that you may have missed out on.

As far as what you said Latio. I agree with several pre planned plots .
    I didnt understand this part.
    (read: They don't get to do anything inconvenient to the plot),

Are you suggestion that we have two options ? one where a person can help plan the side quest and another where they just get thrown into a story .

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    Okay here what i was thinking about side quests

Sidequests
    * Have a separate thread
    * Points in the side quest will stay there.
    * Sidequests can feature rare evolution items and pokemon (latio good suggestion)
    * You can only bring back a limited amount of things to the main story Why make them choose? Well, unless there's just waaay too much stuff to give out. But still, I don't see that happening.
    * Sidequests are mostly for one character but we could discuss team ups.
    * The points you earn during the sidequest are the points youll use to capture. Items will be available to buy for the sidequest like pokeballs and potions. How about just giving them a set amount of 'points' that you have to spend during the event, with no way to restock them? I really do not want to have to keep track of two increasing point tallies (two point tallies alone is hard), and I'm pretty sure that'll give you a big headache to deal with as well. Simple solutions are for the best.
    * The side quest will feature pokemon that have been used and more rare pokemon that you may have missed out on.

As far as what you said Latio. I agree with several pre planned plots .
    I didnt understand this part.
    (read: They don't get to do anything inconvenient to the plot),

Are you suggestion that we have two options ? one where a person can help plan the side quest and another where they just get thrown into a story . Bingo. The pre-made plots are the ones that you make entirely on your own, while the non-pre made plots are made with the help of the person involved. The pre-made plots help by making sure there absolutely, positively cannot be any plot inconsistancies or anything else inconveniant story-wise, and would also make sure that you have a side quest for somebody who can't get a good idea rolling for them.
    My comments are bolded.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nonexistent Tazz View Post
    My comments are bolded.
    hmm a set amount of points to start out with interesting. The problem still remains that amount of points and how many things can be brought back. I like there being a limit it means that people have to be certain of what they want.

The big problem I have with there being two different types of quest stories. Is that the ladder option will just take more time to create and not many people will choose the pre made story if they get to help design it. I see the point about someone not being able to plan a whole side quest but really the best way to make it a fair quest they would just be submitting there suggestion for things theyd like to happen.

Okay the big thing today

The lotto thread. Here are some ways it could work

1) I gather every point spent in gcea from the players in a big pool. Almost like free parking in monopoly.
    2) People put in 2 points once a week and if there number is not pulled the money rolls over.
    3) There can be a slots machine type roll with items and points being possible prizes.

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic