Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Member of the Year! 2015 [Discussion]

Welcome to the discussion thread!

Here we'll talk about Member of the Year, pros and cons, suggestions, and questions.
    Remeber that voting will not count in this thread. If you want your votes to count, go to the voting thread:

HERE
    Paired with Jessu
    .|.Instagram.|.TiKToK.|.Podcast.|.Buy Stuff.|.Gallery.|.
    ~

I feel as if "True Pokemon Fan" and "True Pokemon Master" are the same. I think the latter is redundant, considering being a true pokemon fan would sort of classify you as a pokemon master...right? I know you mentioned that it's related to people who have caught them all or rarely lose battles, but I'd still put the same people up for both categories since they're kinda the same. xD I do understand what you're trying to get at, though. There just may not be that much of a difference for it to work properly.

Second, the best female/best male... I've met some cool people who don't identify as either. That's...not their fault. I don't think they should be voided from both categories because of this, but at the same time, I wouldn't know what else to suggest. "Best other" sounds kinda vague, and frankly I don't know of too many people who COULD fit that category. Point is... I dunno. =/ I would just like to accommodate for everybody but I can't seem to find a good solution to it.

3. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    I feel as if "True Pokemon Fan" and "True Pokemon Master" are the same. I think the latter is redundant, considering being a true pokemon fan would sort of classify you as a pokemon master...right? I know you mentioned that it's related to people who have caught them all or rarely lose battles, but I'd still put the same people up for both categories since they're kinda the same. xD I do understand what you're trying to get at, though. There just may not be that much of a difference for it to work properly.

Second, the best female/best male... I've met some cool people who don't identify as either. That's...not their fault. I don't think they should be voided from both categories because of this, but at the same time, I wouldn't know what else to suggest. "Best other" sounds kinda vague, and frankly I don't know of too many people who COULD fit that category. Point is... I dunno. =/ I would just like to accommodate for everybody but I can't seem to find a good solution to it.
    Seems like you are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Best other seems very specific and might be more offensive than just tossing them into a specific group. If gender roles are a concern make it more specific. Best Naturally Born Male/ Female and best Hermaphrodite. Those three cover everyone ;)

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

To be honest, Pokemon Master was thrown in last minute, it wasn't even well thought out. But there is a difference between a fan and a master. A fan adores Pokémon, loves the concept, the aesthetics, the mystery, and everything else about it. They can sit and talk about Pokemon without getting bored, and love the anime, mangas and games. A master knows everything (or thereabouts). They're dedicated to raising and getting their team stronger, winning their battles, and catching them all. There's even a breeding aspect to being a Pokemon Master. So there a larger aspect to being a master than being a fan. Knowledge and dedication, time and effort. Factors that we don't normally consider. I'll put some of this in the front post when I get home from work, so people know the differences from the hosts point of view.

As for best male and female, those are always going to stay. Otherwise to say "best individual" would clash with member of the year as it's basically the same title depending on how you look at it. To say something like "best other" or "best gender neutral" would be either insensitive or just taking up unnecessary space. It is a person's right to identify themselves how they wish. When it comes to this, I would hope for them to at least go with which ever they'd relate to more. Other than that, there isn't much I can do.

Mad Max, "Hermaphrodite" while the technical term for a person who chooses to live with their bodies in such a manner, isn't what we're talking about. Though relevant, we mean for people who refuse to identify as male or female, although they live in such a body. This is generally called gender neutral or other kin. Hermaphrodite would just offend people.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Well by the fan vs master logic I actually qualify for both and I feel like many others on this site would too.

As for best male or female, that is exclusionary and I think that should be taken out or have a way to include the gender fluid and others like that. If we could find a good term that would qualify for this I'm all ears but otherwise it's just not fair and should just be removed.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

I don't think that best male or female should be removed. I can see how someone could be upset if they didn't identify as male or female yet were put into one of the two categories, but I think abolishing those categories all together is taking it too far. We've had these categories both previous member of the years, but as far as I know no one raised these objections then. If someone who does identify as something other than male or female raises an objection to this, then I will change my opinion, but right now I agree with Caleb's opinion of keeping it the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    Well by the fan vs master logic I actually qualify for both and I feel like many others on this site would too.

As for best male or female, that is exclusionary and I think that should be taken out or have a way to include the gender fluid and others like that. If we could find a good term that would qualify for this I'm all ears but otherwise it's just not fair and should just be removed.
    You may see yourself as eligible, but do other people? Your opinion of yourself doesn't really count for much during MOTY, because you can't vote for yourself.

As far as abolishing the gender categories, you got them jokes, huh? I already said the categories were staying, and they will. They only thing that will change that is of a majority of people decide to remove them. I don't see that happening, as most of this forum identifies as male or female.

I mean no disrespect to your views and opinions, but I've made it clear about the status of the gender categories. Any further discussion by ANYONE of this matter should be done in private. This is to avoid any unnecessary comments or arguing, and make room for other potential matters regarding MotY, rather than personal beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Master Mike View Post
    I don't think that best male or female should be removed. I can see how someone could be upset if they didn't identify as male or female yet were put into one of the two categories, but I think abolishing those categories all together is taking it too far. We've had these categories both previous member of the years, but as far as I know no one raised these objections then. If someone who does identify as something other than male or female raises an objection to this, then I will change my opinion, but right now I agree with Caleb's opinion of keeping it the way it is.
    Kissa**. <3

But honestly, don't change your opinion because someone disagrees with it. If a gender neutral individual has something to say about it, I will personally talk with them and come to a peaceful resolution.

Edit: @MC Elesa and @Pokemon Trainer Sarah if you wouldn't mind posting on the home site and throwing up a notice for moty, that'd be awesome!
    Last edited by XaiakuX; 12-19-2015 at 05:42 PM.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by XaiakuX View Post
    You may see yourself as eligible, but do other people? Your opinion of yourself doesn't really count for much during MOTY, because you can't vote for yourself.

As far as abolishing the gender categories, you got them jokes, huh? I already said the categories were staying, and they will. They only thing that will change that is of a majority of people decide to remove them. I don't see that happening, as most of this forum identifies as male or female.

I mean no disrespect to your views and opinions, but I've made it clear about the status of the gender categories. Any further discussion by ANYONE of this matter should be done in private. This is to avoid any unnecessary comments or arguing, and make room for other potential matters regarding MotY, rather than personal beliefs.
    I know I can't vote for myself, I read the rules. I'm just saying that a majority of people on this site that I've talked to both play the games and know a lot about the franchise itself. I was just using myself as the example. Here, how about I use Corey as an example. He's another person who I can see qualifying as both. There are plenty of people I can see qualifying as both because the criterion are inter-linked. I think they need to be distinguished more or just merged into one category.

That wasn't very clear to me before I made my post. Now it is. Also, since this is sort of a discussion/suggestion thread, I think it is subject to "personal beliefs." Just saying.
    Last edited by Noblejanobii; 12-19-2015 at 07:54 PM.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    I know I can't vote for myself, I read the rules. I'm just saying that a majority of people on this site that I've talked to both play the games and know a lot about the franchise itself. I was just using myself as the example. Here, how about I use Corey as an example. He's another person who I can see qualifying as both. There are plenty of people I can see qualifying as both because the criterion are inter-linked. I think they need to be distinguished more or just merged into one category.

That wasn't very clear to me before I made my post. Now it is. Also, since this is sort of a discussion/suggestion thread, I think it is subject to "personal beliefs." Just saying.
    I mean, you could just vote for that person in both categories. I just feel that some will identify as a fan before a Pokemon Master. In example, "Sure, I love Pokemon! I don't feel the need to win battles or catch them all. Just own and raise my favorites. Especially Scizor!"

Then there's people who surely care for Pokemon, but dedicate more to, like, beating the game, and completing the pokedex. Achieving that master status, and raising the strongest Pokemon is more important to them that simply raising their favorites.

So if a person identifies as both, then there isn't any harm in voting them in both. But I know there will be people who take a side more than being both. And it is in the eye of the beholder. If that other person thinks they are both or one or the other.

As for the gender thing. I'm past it on a public level. I just don't want the topic to get too sensitive or offensive.

I sort of see where you're coming from with the fan vs. master idea. It makes sense, I suppose... I think I'd qualify as a fan but not a master, since I don't bother raising pokemon and training them all to level 100 and such. I more just adore the concept of Pokemon as a whole and love the franchise. So yeah, I think I see what you mean. That being said, I'll still put the same people in both categories I reckon. xD

Yeah, that's the thing. I didn't mean to start up a debate or encroach on tradition. I agree that getting rid of those categories wouldn't be sensible because then it's turning on its head and people who DO identify as a certain gender wouldn't get a fair go. I suppose we could have "best gender neutral" but that's up to Caleb, I guess!