Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Redbubble Trouble Over Pokemon Copyright

Popular online store RedBubble, based in Melbourne and San Francisco, is facing court in Australia for selling merchandise using Pokemon names and characters without permission.
    The website allows artists to upload their own designs, which are then manufactured and shipped to the buyer via a third party. Redbubble submitted documents stating that any copyright violations are the artist’s responsibility, and that artists are advised to obtain consent from rights holders before uploading images to Redbubble. The case resumed on March 7, and will set an interesting precedent for many other art websites which allow Pokemon-inspired merchandise.
    This is not the first time Pokemon has forced online stores to remove Pokemon-inspired goods, or sought damages for use of copyright creatures. One of the most famous cases is that of a fan attempting to hold a Pokemon-themed party at PAX in 2015. The fan was ordered to pay thousands of dollars in damages, even though the party was cancelled. Artists using the 3D printing service Shapeways and the art site Etsy to sell goods featuring Pokemon have also been served with cease and desist letters in the past.
    Source: 9 News Australia, TechDirt, Motherboard
    The post Redbubble Trouble Over Pokemon Copyright appeared first on Pokémon Crossroads.

Read more or post a comment.

This is pathetic. Forbidding fans from selling a few t-shirts here an there? Really? I RARELY see any official Pokemon clothes and if I do, they're all for kids or for boys. What a joke. I seriously hate when companies punish their fans for loving their franchise.

...Pokemon is getting power hungry. This is getting ridiculous. **** you guys, seriously.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

4. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    ...Pokemon is getting power hungry. This is getting ridiculous. **** you guys, seriously.
    We should riot.

6. This post has been liked by:

I love the fan made t-shirts! Its much better than the official stuff!

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

Its just the fact that theyve been going after such petty and small things is what makes my blood boil.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    ------------

9. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    Its just the fact that theyve been going after such petty and small things is what makes my blood boil.
    This is really no different than Disney would treat this kind of thing. Pokemon is trademarked. Starwars did something like this with fan made films being sold. The company doesnt want people to profit off of them.

I dont agree with this at all because I think the inspired designs are a tribute to pokemon and not like a rip off game that sells with the same name. Interesting case though because the site is saying its not responsible for the art just the clothes.

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

It's still crap. And yeah, I agree--it's a tribute. People do it because they LOVE POKEMON, not because they're trying to rip off the company and make money off them. xD Ugh...so lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Rival Max View Post
    This is really no different than Disney would treat this kind of thing. Pokemon is trademarked. Starwars did something like this with fan made films being sold. The company doesnt want people to profit off of them.

I dont agree with this at all because I think the inspired designs are a tribute to pokemon and not like a rip off game that sells with the same name. Interesting case though because the site is saying its not responsible for the art just the clothes.
    Mainly what I'm referring to is their takedowns of...various fan-made, completely non-for-profit things. :\ I guess this was a bad thread to mention that in since RB does, indeed, profit off of these things. And the artists.

------------

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I have a feeling Teepublic might be next. That place has loads of Pokémon fan made shirts and stuff.

But yeah, I hate it when companies do this, punishing fans for liking something enough to create cool new things the company doesn't do themselves.

Maybe we should bring back black markets. XD

14. This post has been liked by: