Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: [Open Discussion] GCEA Galactic Diamond Skill System

  1. #11
    Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,256
    @Lychee @Truly @brandon_g @Rival Max @Shruikan

    Here's the first version of the skill system I've put together. I've gone with having a different skill for everything rather than roles, but I've kept the number of skills to a bare minimum. I've tried to keep this as simple as possible.

    I've underlined the parts that I'm not sure about.

    The Skills:

    Melee Combat: The ability to overpower others with physical force
    Fighting, Restraining others

    Performance: The ability to act and to deceive.
    Lying, Attempting to impersonate someone, Creating a distraction by drawing attention to yourself.

    Stealth: The ability to move without being noticed.
    Sneaking, Lockpicking, Pickpocketing

    Technology: The ability to use computers and other electronic devices.
    Hacking, Fixing, or building computers and computer systems.

    Medicine: The ability to treat injuries
    Performing CPR, bandaging wounds.

    The success of actions will be decided by a 100 sided dice roll, which Max will do himself. The appropriate skill modifier for your character will be added to the result of the roll, meaning if Max rolls a 32 and you have a +10 in the relevant skill, then your final result is a 42. If the final result is higher than the minimum required to pass, then you succeed at the action.

    Everyone will start with 8 skill points, and can gain more by successfully completing missions. You can apply these skill points to any skill you want. The maximum possible skill modifier is +75, but you can only have one skill with a modifier higher than +60.

    For every skill point you spend, you will gain a +5 to the chosen skill if your current skill modifier is under 30, or +3 if your current skill modifier is 30 or higher. This means that it would take 21 skill points total to reach the maximum skill modifier of +75.

    What do you guys think? Does that last part over complicate things too much? Do you think those 5 skills will cover anything you want your characters to do? Anything that you think needs to be majorly reworked?
    Last edited by Dragon Master Mike; 06-04-2019 at 02:50 PM.

  2. #12
    Experienced Trainer Lychee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    429
    That sounds good to me! I'm happy to roll with it until we find some glaring flaw during gameplay, haha.
    I think it'll take 21 skill points to reach a bonus of +75, though.
    Also! Would harder missions award more skill points? Would some missions only award certain categories of skill points? Time will tell! We have a lot to play with here, and I'm curious about the average length of a mission tbh.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    That sounds good to me! I'm happy to roll with it until we find some glaring flaw during gameplay, haha.
    I think it'll take 21 skill points to reach a bonus of +75, though.
    Also! Would harder missions award more skill points? Would some missions only award certain categories of skill points? Time will tell! We have a lot to play with here, and I'm curious about the average length of a mission tbh.
    Maybe skill points will be given out for specfic missions.





    Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

    Spoiler:

    Gible bite's Comic


    GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

    ....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......


  4. #14
    Original GCEA Member brandon_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    GCEA Section
    Posts
    1,458
    System looks good to me.
    The all new and improved Broadcasting Duo is here! We have a new banner, a new look and still more great improvements to come! What are you waiting for? Come on over and check us out! We promise, you won't be disappointed!
    www.broadcastingduo.com


    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    GCEA Stats:
    Decimation Blue
    Galactic Diamond

  5. #15
    Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    That sounds good to me! I'm happy to roll with it until we find some glaring flaw during gameplay, haha.
    I think it'll take 21 skill points to reach a bonus of +75, though.
    Oops. Apparently I don't know how to math. And of course, we can make adjustments as we go. It's the first time implementing something like this in GCEA so there's bound to be some issues to work out during actual gameplay.

    EDIT: One more thing to remember for everyone is that this skill system is mainly only going to be used during missions for Team Galactic. Outside of those missions we won't really be using it.
    Last edited by Dragon Master Mike; 06-04-2019 at 03:14 PM.

  6. #16
    Experienced Trainer Lychee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    429
    Hey! Some things have come up in the chat which are worth addressing here!

    Firstly; a Pokemon handling skill would be cool. Like how James from team rocket can get Pokemon on his side-- or sometimes they try to eat him. I'm assuming since we have no badge system and also will steal other people's pokemon, we could very realistically come up against the problem that our stolen ratatta will not chew through the wires on a mission, but instead run away and set off an alarm! Perhaps, though, this is unneccesary, since Pokemon are assumed to cooperate in most stories.

    Secondly!
    In the discord, someone mentioned that if you don't put a skill point into a skill, you don't even get to roll for it and automatically fail! I assumed that the luck of the dice could still get you through, however unlikely it is. So, in order to be able to even able to get Palila to attempt things with any chance of success, I'll be putting 1 point into each skill, lol!

    Thirdly, we got into a big debate about using Pokemon to threaten and hurt people. I think we should be both expected to, and also threatened to. We may be grunts, but hey, pretty much every bad team tries to push people around, using Pokemon as their means of force. Maybe I'm thinking too cinematically? But I want the gloves off. Make NPCs cry! Make PCs afraid when they jump into a battle they aren't going to win! Sure, repercussions and the legal system are still in play- but we've ALREADY seen nad guys kidnap, threaten, shoot, burn with charizard, crunch with dinosaurs, and outright incinerate people.
    I'm all for cute petty crime beginnings, but it is fun to have a greater evil to build towards, rather than Pokemon harming humans being vetoed from the get go.

  7. This post has been liked by:

    Truly 

  8. #17
    Mary Mary tell me how your garden grows. Desolate Divine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    Hey! Some things have come up in the chat which are worth addressing here!

    Firstly; a Pokemon handling skill would be cool. Like how James from team rocket can get Pokemon on his side-- or sometimes they try to eat him. I'm assuming since we have no badge system and also will steal other people's pokemon, we could very realistically come up against the problem that our stolen ratatta will not chew through the wires on a mission, but instead run away and set off an alarm! Perhaps, though, this is unneccesary, since Pokemon are assumed to cooperate in most stories.

    Secondly!
    In the discord, someone mentioned that if you don't put a skill point into a skill, you don't even get to roll for it and automatically fail! I assumed that the luck of the dice could still get you through, however unlikely it is. So, in order to be able to even able to get Palila to attempt things with any chance of success, I'll be putting 1 point into each skill, lol!

    Thirdly, we got into a big debate about using Pokemon to threaten and hurt people. I think we should be both expected to, and also threatened to. We may be grunts, but hey, pretty much every bad team tries to push people around, using Pokemon as their means of force. Maybe I'm thinking too cinematically? But I want the gloves off. Make NPCs cry! Make PCs afraid when they jump into a battle they aren't going to win! Sure, repercussions and the legal system are still in play- but we've ALREADY seen nad guys kidnap, threaten, shoot, burn with charizard, crunch with dinosaurs, and outright incinerate people.
    I'm all for cute petty crime beginnings, but it is fun to have a greater evil to build towards, rather than Pokemon harming humans being vetoed from the get go.
    Regarding that third point, that is more a difference between Rival Max and my own style if roleplaying. Whilst Max isn't a fan of the gritty and dark violent sorta stories, they are right up my alley. This however does create differing standards in parallel stories which can be problematic, I agree.
    Sophie's Trainer Card
    Paired with the awesome FedoraChar.

  9. #18
    Original GCEA Member brandon_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    GCEA Section
    Posts
    1,458
    As I said in the chat on the third point, I just think its both unnessecary and extreme to use the powers of pokemon to cause harm to people. Threatening is one thing, but attacking is a whole other. As should be obvious by my character, I dont mind some violence, but I do find its a bit harsh and unfair to start using the powers of creatures on a powerless human. I believe violence should be person on person or pokemon on pokemon, as then its fair. A person can not defend themself against a pokemon the same way another pokemon can, its just plain cruel and unfair in my book to allow someone to be attacked in a manner in which they cant reasonably defend themselves.

    Now obviously it isnt my call, but I formally wanted to add my two cents on the matter.
    The all new and improved Broadcasting Duo is here! We have a new banner, a new look and still more great improvements to come! What are you waiting for? Come on over and check us out! We promise, you won't be disappointed!
    www.broadcastingduo.com


    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    GCEA Stats:
    Decimation Blue
    Galactic Diamond

  10. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon_g View Post
    As I said in the chat on the third point, I just think its both unnessecary and extreme to use the powers of pokemon to cause harm to people.
    That sounds like a matter of your morality. While maybe I agree with you, maybe my character does not.

    Threatening is one thing, but attacking is a whole other.
    A threat of violence without the possibility of actual violence is an empty threat. If all threats will be taken as legit, sure, we can end it at threats. But like, any scenario that has a lethal threat has a chance to become lethal.

    As should be obvious by my character, I dont mind some violence, but I do find its a bit harsh and unfair to start using the powers of creatures on a powerless human.
    That sounds like a matter of your character's morality.

    I believe violence should be person on person or pokemon on pokemon, as then its fair.
    Criminals don't always play "fair." Maybe, when it suits them.

    A person can not defend themself against a pokemon the same way another pokemon can,
    No, but a person with a Pokemon can defend themselves against a Pokemon. It's called a Pokemon battle. Ideally, the violence stops at the battle stage -- the loser concedes and the winner takes the spoils.

    its just plain cruel and unfair in my book to allow someone to be attacked in a manner in which they cant reasonably defend themselves.
    Since we can assume pretty much everybody has Pokemon, it's hardly cruel to use Pokemon to attack a person: that person can just whip out their own Pokemon, and now it's a completely kid-friendly Pokemon battle.

    __

    This probably won't even ever be an issue, but I want to know I'm playing in a world where I don't have to have super soft kid gloves. This game was pitched as kid characters joining a villainous team, which is an interesting premise -- Palila will be the most interesting character because she's the only one who has had the privilege of being on the "light side" and rejecting it for a more pragmatic "dark side." The rest of us are just baddies from the start. Fine, but to undermine that further and say "but you aren't really bad, it's all just make believe, tee-hee" means we aren't really playing villains.

    Please please please give me stakes, and let me create stakes. I do not want to play a game where the biggest obstacle is a panic attack because nobody is allowed to get hurt.
    [edit]
    And if your game is one where the biggest obstacle is a two-post panic attack, that's fine, but please let me know ahead of time so I can plan accordingly. I'm happy to play within the boundaries of whatever it is you want to do, but it's apparently not clear what you want from me.

    [edit 2, to Max below me]
    Understood. No more from me in this thread.

  11. #20
    Lets leave this thread for skills only. Any opinion about difference in story telling belongs elsewhere. This thread is limited to just this topic which is a big enough issue.

    I am fine with threatening. I would not stop you as I said in the discussion thread. You are criminals. To me and maybe this will help Brandon. Him starting a fight to steal is no different than threating someone. I think where the balance comes in is people mainly speaking to truly who go nuts are going to be punished in the game. So my guess is truly will he the first person arrested for trying to do some over the top stuff.


    As far as skills. They are meant more for direct character choices in specific moments. Not every action will be rolled. However in the case of a tech trying to hack or a stealth character trying to pickpocket they will. Whats interesting is that the skill point itself does with what lychee suggested. A pokemon partner completing something successfully that involves their skill would be rolled.





    Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

    Spoiler:

    Gible bite's Comic


    GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

    ....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......


  12. This post has been liked by:

    Truly 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •