Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PIXAR

Okay, okay. I'm a huge pixar nerd. If I weren't too busy doing my own 3D animation homework these past few days, I'd have posted sooner!

Some Pixar Fun Facts:

Toy Story 2 was almost entirely deleted by accident. Some person accidentally typed in that one linux command that would delete every file on the database as quickly as possible. By the time they pulled the plug on the machine, 90% of the files had been deleted. No biggie, right? This is why we backup files... except... the backup failed! What saved the movie? A team member who had recently given birth was working from home and had a copy of all the files on her machine.

Funny enough, most of Toy Story 2 was later deleted on purpose as they realized it was crap and made a last minute attempt to redo it to meet their standards. Nearly the entire movie was redone in about 6-8 months (I forget the exact number).

--

Up was going to be about two princes. How stories change.

--

Sulley from Monsters Inc. was originally going to be named Johnathon. He was later renamed Sully after historic Texas A&M icon Lawrence Sullivan Ross.

For more Aggie references, the Scare School in Monsters University is loosely based off the Academic Building at Texas A&M.

Note: There are a lot of Aggies working at Pixar and in the animation industry in general.

--

More myth than fact, Carl from Up is believed to be inspired by a professor at Texas A&M: Dr. Rodney Hill. There is no confirmation on this.

--

Pixar had a rough start in life. It didn't start out making animated films! In fact, it worked as a hardware company not named Pixar for a while before being bought by Lucasfilm to work on special effects. Later down the road, Lucasfilm decided Pixar wasn't profitable enough and tried VERY hard to sell the group to someone else. Guess who bought in? Steve Jobs! It was after Steve Jobs bought the group that they were renamed Pixar. They worked on various short films- and even commercials- before partnering with Disney to make and distribute Toy Story.

--

The first fully CG animated thing was a hand. Ed Catmull- later founder of Pixar-, along with others (I can only name one other: Frederick Parke... a professor at Texas A&M University now, haha) made it and surprised the world with it!

--

Ed Catmull wanted to work at Disney. But he didn't think he was good enough at drawing to be an animator. So what did he do? He freaking invented 3D animation so he could animate in another way.

He once pitched the idea to Disney to make an entirely CG animated feature. They laughed at him then offered him a job to work on designing theme park attractions or something.

--

John Lasseter- the genius director behind Toy Story, Luxo Jr., and various other Pixar greats- was fired from Disney for pitching The Brave Little Toaster. He later went to work at Pixar. I'm sure Disney has regrets.

--

I'll post more fun facts as I remember them. xD I'm a bit brain fried today.

--

As for favorite movies... oh dear, don't make me pick. I can say with certainty that my least favorite was Cars and Cars 2. I enjoyed Cars, but I don't think it needed a sequel- or needs another one.

Favorites.... Toy Story 1/2/3, Incredibles, Finding Nemo/Dory, Inside Out, and The Good Dinosaur (purely for how freaking gorgeous it is)

2. This post has been liked by:

Wow, I didn't know most of those, Neko! I'm especially shocked about Toy Story 2. xD Wow. I also do love that movie. As a kid, we had Toy Story 2 on video but not the first one, so I ended up liking it more.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about Inside Out. That's definitely in my top 3. Looooved that movie. <3

@Bulbasaur Oh my gosh. That parody is amazing.

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Wow, I didn't know most of those, Neko! I'm especially shocked about Toy Story 2. xD Wow. I also do love that movie. As a kid, we had Toy Story 2 on video but not the first one, so I ended up liking it more.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about Inside Out. That's definitely in my top 3. Looooved that movie. <3

@Bulbasaur Oh my gosh. That parody is amazing.
    I cried first time I saw it...

5. This post has been liked by:

Administrator

Toy Story and The Incredibles. I loved these movies! I can understand why Toy Story got sequels, but I will NEVER understand why it's taken this long for them to make another Incredibles movie. That movie was so great! I really even today can't wait for the next one.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

7. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    Toy Story and The Incredibles. I loved these movies! I can understand why Toy Story got sequels, but I will NEVER understand why it's taken this long for them to make another Incredibles movie. That movie was so great! I really even today can't wait for the next one.
    I WILL be among the first in line to see Incredibles 2.
    τι ζωή

9. This post has been liked by: