Page 202 of 365 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252302 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 3646

Thread: Other Chat DCC

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Yeah, I think a mask. XD Unless you frequently wear jackets, pants or shoes on your face.

Soooooooo I had my job interview! It's weird; I wasn't too nervous and thought I "totally had this," but then it comes face to face and I was a babbling fool. XD I mean, I thought I did alright, but I was also a bit weird, so I don't know. XD I hope I get a call back! Awkward, the first thing he asks me is, "So have you been here before?" and I was like, "Actually...no." XD Probs not the right thing to say. But I wasn't going to lie. xP I couldn't even if I wanted to!
    I'm not a fan of job interviews, and I've had my share of bad ones. I remember being interviewed by four people, one after another, and the only reason why they didn't hire me was because too many of my responses were "one-worded." That was their only reasoning. Huh? I'm not the kind that likes to ramble on and dump filler everywhere, but if they really wanted to hear a whole life story and forget about getting back to work that afternoon, hey, I could accommodate! Or, you know, I could just do the sensible thing and touch base on the most important points and if they wanted more detail, hey, just ask! I haven't quite gotten telepathy down-packed yet, so I can't really tell just by reading your mind that you wanted more info on that stuff that's on my resume!

There's other things about job postings that annoy me:

"3-5 of experience: Entry Level Position." - Wut.

"Needs 10+ years of <program> experience." - Said <program> has only been around for seven.

"Local candidates only." - You know, it's possible for people to relocate and a job offer is a good reason to!

The BIG thing that annoys me the most about searching for jobs is that on company websites, EVERYTHING that pops up is either for a manager position or a director position. Where the heck is everything else!? Your company that employs 10,000 people can't possibly be all managers and directors.

Really, job searching/interviewing is an insanity circus.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    I'm not a fan of job interviews, and I've had my share of bad ones. I remember being interviewed by four people, one after another, and the only reason why they didn't hire me was because too many of my responses were "one-worded." That was their only reasoning. Huh? I'm not the kind that likes to ramble on and dump filler everywhere, but if they really wanted to hear a whole life story and forget about getting back to work that afternoon, hey, I could accommodate! Or, you know, I could just do the sensible thing and touch base on the most important points and if they wanted more detail, hey, just ask! I haven't quite gotten telepathy down-packed yet, so I can't really tell just by reading your mind that you wanted more info on that stuff that's on my resume!

There's other things about job postings that annoy me:

"3-5 of experience: Entry Level Position." - Wut.

"Needs 10+ years of <program> experience." - Said <program> has only been around for seven.

"Local candidates only." - You know, it's possible for people to relocate and a job offer is a good reason to!

The BIG thing that annoys me the most about searching for jobs is that on company websites, EVERYTHING that pops up is either for a manager position or a director position. Where the heck is everything else!? Your company that employs 10,000 people can't possibly be all managers and directors.

Really, job searching/interviewing is an insanity circus.
    One-worded? Really? xD So even if they were reasonable responses that gave them a good insight, and were entirely appropriate...it wasn't good enough because it was just one word? Whaaaaaaat? That's just rude. Come on, guys. -_-

OH MY GOSH I KNOW RIGHT. It's pretty much pointless to go on job searching websites nowadays because that's all you'll find! I've seen so many of those. The experience one really annoys me. HOW could I have had experience if EVERYONE is asking for someone who HAS SOME?!?!? Bit of a loophole there!

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    One-worded? Really? xD So even if they were reasonable responses that gave them a good insight, and were entirely appropriate...it wasn't good enough because it was just one word? Whaaaaaaat? That's just rude. Come on, guys. -_-

OH MY GOSH I KNOW RIGHT. It's pretty much pointless to go on job searching websites nowadays because that's all you'll find! I've seen so many of those. The experience one really annoys me. HOW could I have had experience if EVERYONE is asking for someone who HAS SOME?!?!? Bit of a loophole there!
    I think the growing trend is companies don't want to invest in their employees anymore and just want to be as cheap as possible. A lot of things are getting scrapped, such as pensions, 401ks, benefits, long-term careers with the company, and so on just so they're not officially on payroll and aren't a part of the budget. Also, companies don't want to train their employees or invest in their health and future. They just want them to come in the door already knowing everything they need to know, or they expect them to pay for their own training prior to taking on the job.

I'm not a fan of networking either. I've gone to networking events, and they've never helped me. I know the goal there is to find someone who has a nice, high-up position so they can help you get your foot in the door, but every time I've gone to these things, people just talk about themselves and don't really care about your personal situation or they don't have a way of helping you. So in the end, I've wasted hours of time just listening to how other people got lucky.

I also hate the "it's not what you know, it's who you know" quote they like to drop everywhere like a dog dropping a poop. Pft, then what's the point of college and training? Is it really better for me to just be a clueless social butterfly on Facebook and not actually know anything useful?

There are so many annoying double standards and irrational expectations going on with job searching. Really, it makes me sick and the whole process makes so little sense anymore. :\

Administrator

Yeah interviews are a hit or miss kinda thing. Some do it right, others do it wrong. I overheard my boss say he's changed the way he's done it so many times because there's always one interview that changes his mind (probably many others as well).

Yeah I was feeling nervous about my interview back in the fall, but once I got in there I felt more comfortable after I got to know the guy better on the way back to the room.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Senior Administrator

Yeah, for me, they're hit or miss also. But even on the interviews I feel went awesomely well, still no dice.

Now is just a bad time for people trying to get jobs. Hiring managers can be super-fussy about who they hire, and they can afford to just not hire anyone at all and dump the tasks and responsibilities on already-existing employees instead. I've heard plenty of cases where instead of hiring someone new, they just expect current employees to work 60+ hours a week and work weekends and holidays. XP

Pokemon Trainer
    Yeah, for me, they're hit or miss also. But even on the interviews I feel went awesomely well, still no dice.

Now is just a bad time for people trying to get jobs. Hiring managers can be super-fussy about who they hire, and they can afford to just not hire anyone at all and dump the tasks and responsibilities on already-existing employees instead. I've heard plenty of cases where instead of hiring someone new, they just expect current employees to work 60+ hours a week and work weekends and holidays. XP
    Sounds like my old office. There was more work for each person than could humanly be done, but people gave up their free time to keep the job. Meanwhile, some bosses were making $500,000+ for manipulating schmucks into getting paid peanuts to work 70 hour weeks under the guise they couldn't find "good new people." (Read as, "exceptionally talented people who are simultaneously naive enough to get twisted into doing three people's jobs when they inevitably get a piss-poor review and are told to step it up after being around for a few months.")

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dratini View Post
    Sounds like my old office. There was more work for each person than could humanly be done, but people gave up their free time to keep the job. Meanwhile, some bosses were making $500,000+ for manipulating schmucks into getting paid peanuts to work 70 hour weeks under the guise they couldn't find "good new people." (Read as, "exceptionally talented people who are simultaneously naive enough to get twisted into doing three people's jobs when they inevitably get a piss-poor review and are told to step it up after being around for a few months.")
    I know the top 1% get a lot of comical backlash, but the statistics say that the top 1% of the world population control more than half the money in existence. And let's face it, with the stupid things they waste so much money on, there's a problem and the money isn't going to the people that work hard for it. That sixth mansion or third private jet could have been the basic livelihood of dozens of families.

And usually their excuse is "everyone else is doing it." Yeah, no one drop blames itself for the damage caused by the flood.

Speaking of work and money...

@Trainer17, I really hope Tapatalk is paying you for all the advertising you're doing for them.

9. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Fate View Post
    Speaking of work and money...

@Trainer17, I really hope Tapatalk is paying you for all the advertising you're doing for them.
    They don't :( sad day.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
    Paired with the lovable 💕 Kaoru 💕

- I has risen from the ashes of the flames -

I think the growing trend is companies don't want to invest in their employees anymore and just want to be as cheap as possible. A lot of things are getting scrapped, such as pensions, 401ks, benefits, long-term careers with the company, and so on just so they're not officially on payroll and aren't a part of the budget. Also, companies don't want to train their employees or invest in their health and future. They just want them to come in the door already knowing everything they need to know, or they expect them to pay for their own training prior to taking on the job.

I'm not a fan of networking either. I've gone to networking events, and they've never helped me. I know the goal there is to find someone who has a nice, high-up position so they can help you get your foot in the door, but every time I've gone to these things, people just talk about themselves and don't really care about your personal situation or they don't have a way of helping you. So in the end, I've wasted hours of time just listening to how other people got lucky.

I also hate the "it's not what you know, it's who you know" quote they like to drop everywhere like a dog dropping a poop. Pft, then what's the point of college and training? Is it really better for me to just be a clueless social butterfly on Facebook and not actually know anything useful?

There are so many annoying double standards and irrational expectations going on with job searching. Really, it makes me sick and the whole process makes so little sense anymore. :\
    Oh, for sure. That happened to me in a job. They hired 15 year olds and started giving them all the shifts instead of giving them to the 20 year old. xD It's a shame. =/

Networking helps in many areas, but they're better for the creative fields. THAT'S when you want to network. Funnily enough I only got this interview because I knew one of the managers. xD

I know right? xD It's not always true, obviously, but it's annoying when they push that it's the most important thing, only to be like "TRAINING AND EDUCATION IS REALLY IMPORTANT!!!" Mixed signals. I did a games design course for two years and that industry is about what you know and who you know. But knowing people is key in that industry. That, or making your own games and somehow being really good at it, then getting attention for it.

BUT!!!!!!!!! GUESS WHAT! I have a trial thing on Tuesday. :D And Sam has an interview on Tuesday as well! XD I got a call the day before yesterday and she told me that on Tuesday I can come in and have a look 'behind the counter' to see if it's what I want to be doing. And she said if all works out, then I'll start getting put on shifts. :] So yeah, pretty exciting! I can finally get teh moneyz!

12. This post has been liked by: