Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Yeah, book costs are definitely the salt on the wound when it comes to college expenses. There's no reason why a stack of paper should cost almost as much as a game console.

And the money you get back from selling it back to the bookstore is horrendously criminal.

Administrator

It's why I'm glad the last one I went to had rentals. Cost far less and just had to return it at the end of the quarter.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Textbooks are such a scam. Especially nowadays where they literally do just sell you a stack of unbound paper in order to kill the resale value. AND now you have all these online activation codes that mean you can't buy stuff used!
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Administrator

Or typically don't event use the books now. Just use it on an "in case needed." Lot of stuff is like you said is strictly online now. So lot of money wasted

The time is upon us...

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yep! That too! Such a pain and waste!
    / / / / / / / /

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Yeah, I hated those times we were told to buy an expensive book and then we barely used the darn thing. I did save a few bucks by going to an online bookstore called Abebooks which had the books I needed at a reduced price, but yeah, I only discovered these things from other people later on.

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AWA1997 View Post
    My state has a program called OHLAP or Oklahoma’s Promise, which gives you five years of college tuition (or until you get your bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first), so long as your household makes less than $55k a year and can get accepted into the college. The catch is that it only pays tuition, so you need other financial aid for books and stuff. If I remember right, so long as you get your degree, you don’t have to pay it back, which is nice. (Tried looking it up to confirm, but I’m not seeing anything about paying it back.)
    YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY IT BACK?! O.O Wow, I wanna live there now. xD

With my recent course I had to buy a book online that cost $60, and we only have access to it for a couple of years, so what I've been doing is taking screenshots of everything so I can have it for long after my sub is gone lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Altaria View Post
    YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY IT BACK?! O.O Wow, I wanna live there now. xD

With my recent course I had to buy a book online that cost $60, and we only have access to it for a couple of years, so what I've been doing is taking screenshots of everything so I can have it for long after my sub is gone lol.
    Yeah, but again it only covers tuition. Room and board, books, and anything else that’s not “covered by your tuition” have to come either out of your own pocket, or out of other loans or grants, which you may or may not have to pay back.

That being said, I thought that the case was if you get your degree, you don’t pay it back, if you don’t get your degree, you do pay it back. Still can neither confirm or deny any part of that statement, though.

Administrator

Key note to remember. If something seems cheaper, it probably is, but just because it's cheaper. Doesn't truly mean it is. Something else will just be more expensive. The money ALWAYS has to come from somewhere. Even if that means higher taxes.

The time is upon us...

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Very true. Nothing is ever truly free.
    / / / / / / / /