Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    I've seen artists limit revisions to just 2 times. Some even limkt how major the revisions are.

TWITTER: voltmakesart
    INSTAGRAM: voltairemakesart
    Spoiler:
    Current VPP
    Tynamo@330 (Chen)
    Hatch: 345
    Eelektrik: 447
    Eelektross: 450
    Level100: 630

Administrator

Well try starting off in moderation. Start off with sketches alone to build up with those that would want something. If they want it lined/colored/etc. next month or batch they can ask for addition. Ooooor if full from the start. Only do sketching and leave a watermark over it so they can't just take the sketch and run. Then they pay before you do more.

Don't go full blown is what I'd say to start. Start off small and see how it works before you add more options.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I think that yeah, I would need to have them do a deposit first, then provide the sketch of what the final piece would look like, then get the rest of the payment and then complete the full drawing. I've seen other artists do that and it seems like the most reliable method to make sure you don't get screwed over.

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

When I got my commissions done they were paid for in advance, 100%. I guess in that respect, it helps to have enough art that is indicative of the quality the buyer gets so that they know what they are paying for somewhat before they pay. That being said, financially I am doing well enough that whilst paying upfront and not being happy with it would have sucked, it'd not be a HUGE deal.

Senior Administrator

Yeah, that's how I usually pay for my art commissions. Everything up front, especially if I know the artist pretty well and they aren't the type that would scam me over.

It's honestly pretty rare that I get scammed.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

First rule of thumb when pricing your commissions: Give yourself a minimum wage. Originally, I priced myself as if I'm getting paid $10 an hour (usually), then time myself as to how long a piece would take from start to finish and THAT dictates the price. So if something is listed as $10 that means it normally takes me about an hour to do. Additionally, the more valuable your time is, like if you work a 9-5 like me, the higher you should price your stuff. It's not as if you have all day to work on these things. You've got a job, plus chores, and other engagements. Time is money, so price it accordingly. This is actually why I'm going to be raising my prices again here shortly, because my job and also overall lack of stamina due to my illness has made my drawing time very limited, and I'd much rather do personal stuff than commission work. Which leads me to...

Second rule of thumb: if you don't want to do something, either don't offer it OR charge a lot for it. If you're good at drawing robots but HATE drawing them, base price should be whatever you dictate is enough to warrant you drawing said robot, whether it be $100 or $1000. If it's a pain in the butt to draw, you make it worth your time.

Third rule of thumb: Limit alterations to as early in the process as possible, ideally to the sketching phase. This is for two reasons. 1) Because it's WAY easier to fix major mistakes in the sketch phase than it is in the later phases. Minor detail adjustments in the latest states such as adjusting colors or adding small markings are fine. But redoing an entire limb or god forbid the ENTIRE POSE can cause you to have to redo an entire portion of the drawing. So be strict about this. And if the client is INSISTENT on having a major alteration done late in the game, make it clear up front that they will be charged for it. I'm talking like at least half the price of the drawing. So if they paid $30 originally and want a major alteration late in the game? Slap them with a $15 fee. TIME IS MONEY.

Fourth rule of thumb: Take the money up front or very early in the process. I generally take mine AFTER I get a sketch approved just so that way I can price stuff accordingly, but I also always slap a huge ass WIP watermark on the sketches unless someone is a close friend or trusted client, and even then it's not always a guarantee since I've have enough art stolen from me to not trust anyone. Some people do half and half, but personally I find this system is a bit of a hassle especially if you use invoices (which btw you should ALWAYS use invoices if you use paypal it makes it way easier to keep track off stuff and you can implement payment deadlines for riskier clients). But you should definitely get it as early into the process as you can since the later into the process you take payment, the more susceptible to scam you are.

Those are my commission tips <3
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

7. This post has been liked by:

The #1 Stalkers Fanatic C0L0R3D's Avatar
    Welp. Guess there's me mostly sorted when it comes to opening up commissions.

I mean, I'm still in high school and technically don't really NEED the money yet to tell the truth, but there's no harm in getting some extra cash in my pocket. Not everyone can live off of their parents forever.

Avatar(s) and banner(s) made by the excellent Neo Emolga for DBR V2!

9. This post has been liked by:

Senior Administrator

@Noblejanobii

VERY good tips, thanks for sharing those!

And yeah, as someone who has tried to make alterations late in the process, it's BRUTAL. Entire pose changes are usually impossible and it ends up being more work (and that's IF it even works) than just starting over.

Robots I could do, but yeah, humans... whenever I try to draw them, they just end up looking ten years older every time.

11. This post has been liked by:

Administrator

Just make the humans smaller. BAM! 10 years younger! XD

I know it's not that easy. All of my characters always look so big compared and. Yeah it just comes out looking odd.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    I can't even draw humans rip, I find it hard to grasp human faces and even the "trust the process" mindset won't work

TWITTER: voltmakesart
    INSTAGRAM: voltairemakesart
    Spoiler:
    Current VPP
    Tynamo@330 (Chen)
    Hatch: 345
    Eelektrik: 447
    Eelektross: 450
    Level100: 630