Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I did both routes on Undertale...

And ugh, the genocide route just makes you feel awful and dirty the whole thing through. As someone who almost never plays evil characters, I didn't have a good time. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Yeah, the Genocide route isn't my thing either.

And fortunately, That Last Battle is separately available somewhere online so you don't have to make a mess just to see That Part yourself.

TWITTER: voltmakesart
    INSTAGRAM: voltairemakesart
    Spoiler:
    Current VPP
    Tynamo@330 (Chen)
    Hatch: 345
    Eelektrik: 447
    Eelektross: 450
    Level100: 630

Senior Administrator

The Pacifist route is fun with a reasonable challenge to it. It's definitely not the easiest thing I've ever done, but it feels appropriately balanced. And it has a great, feel good kind of ending that will leave you smiling.

But yeah, the Genocide route on the other hand can be tedious, makes you feel dirty and guilty, and Undyne and Sans will kick your butt AT LEAST a dozen times over before you finally overcome them only to, well, to avoid spoilers, doesn't make it feel like it was worth it in the end.

Still, it's a very decent game that has a crazy amount of surprises in it and really gets on a whole level of meta 4th wall breaking at times. It's one of those games that proves you don't need to have a AAA studio, a huge budget, super-stellar graphics, and thousands of employees to make a decent, well-designed game that sparks a whole fandom. Thankfully, in an industry where so many games are made just to squeeze money out, at least there's still great indie developers that make games out of passion and want it to be a memorable experience for gamers.

Administrator

For sure. I loved the Pacifist route. It was entertaining and enjoyable. The story was great with very creative and unique soundtrack to it too.

The Genocide route however, is very tedious yeah. Because you have to take the time to ensure you kill every single enemy in an area until nothing shows up anymore. Then the super bosses you face. Man I don't have the time to sit around playing all day on them as I used to. It'll leave you beat over and over for sure.

Toby was surprised by the game's success from what I've read. So much so it scared him. Now though you see Toby not only working on his own games, but some others. Most notably, Game Freak. Made a few songs for that Village game they made recently. Even made one for Sword and Shield. So it's nice to see how far Toby has come and is making it even further.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

"I was stupid... So stupid"
    I ended up playing the Pacifist route my accident XD I just liked that gimmic of not killing the enemies so I avoided fighting anything whenever possible and it just kinda happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    Even made one for Sword and Shield. So it's nice to see how far Toby has come and is making it even further.
    He's also been brought back to do some songs for Scarlet & Violet

Administrator

Yup and I can't wait to see what he does for the new game! I'm sure they'll be just as good for sure.

I looked up a little about the game before I played. So I knew about the two different routes. Though they explicitly explain at the start how you don't want to "Fight." So I think I might've caught on back then. I was more observant back then. Honestly more than anything it was the soundtrack that got me hooked.

The time is upon us...

Senior Administrator

Yeah, I'll admit I went in Undertale already knowing about the different routes, although yeah, in the beginning the game does urge you to not actually fight and kill anything. It's a stark contrast to most other RPGs where grinding by pulverizing all the monsters you face in random encounters is usually rewarded by EXP and money and is normally a good thing.

I agree that there's a lot of great music and that's where a lot of the charm of the game comes from. Not to mention the very memorable cast of unique characters.

But yeah, to anyone who really liked Undertale, try Omori. It has a lot of the same vibes as Undertale and I enjoyed that game a lot, too. And that game also has a lot of great music and charming SNES-style sprite graphics.

Administrator

Nothing wrong with knowing something like that I feel personally. Knowing a little if it's to help enjoy the game properly is just fine.

The time is upon us...

Senior Administrator

Yeah, and on top of that, the promo video that the Steam store page has for Undertale promotes it as the "RPG where no one needs to die" so that's already giving you a big clue besides what Toriel tells you in the very beginning.

Although I'll admit...

Spoiler:
    I spent a REALLY long time on the Asgore battle the first time around thinking there was a way to talk him out of it but you do have to fight him a little bit. And the Undyne battle was a bit of the same, didn't really think running away was the only non-violent option until I realized giving up on talking her out of it and just running away from the battle was the solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Considering that us Pokemon trainers are used with the idea that major fights are un-Run-able, we wouldn't think of that at all lol

TWITTER: voltmakesart
    INSTAGRAM: voltairemakesart
    Spoiler:
    Current VPP
    Tynamo@330 (Chen)
    Hatch: 345
    Eelektrik: 447
    Eelektross: 450
    Level100: 630