Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Yeah, if only people budgeted their funds over these rather than... somewhere else.

TWITTER: voltmakesart
    INSTAGRAM: voltairemakesart
    Spoiler:
    Current VPP
    Tynamo@330 (Chen)
    Hatch: 345
    Eelektrik: 447
    Eelektross: 450
    Level100: 630

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Yeah, people spend their money on a LOT of stupid stuff.

I still don't get how NFTs ever took off. I mean if you're smart enough to be able to earn money and know how to do a basic transaction like buy something at a store and that you aren't as oblivious as plant life, you should be smart enough to know how much of a sham those things are...

3. This post has been liked by:

Lychee 

How NFTs and crypto get their monetary value is too flimsy to even consider trusting them with it.

Spoiler:
    Current VPP
    Tynamo@330 (Chen)

Senior Administrator

I can somewhat understand the people that set up a PC to farm crypto stuff and then immediately trade it over for cash. My brother does that, although it seems like it uses a LOT of electric power and generates a crazy amount of heat, which seems sketchy to me. I have a PC that could do it, but dang, this house is hot enough as is. That and I've heard this kind of practice really isn't good for the environment...

NFTs seem like they were built on the premise that some gullible sap puts money into it hoping some other gullible sap comes along and buys it for more than what the first sap paid for. Not only is this a lousy premise, but I've heard of NFTs getting stolen en masse and what's already a problem with humanity got even worse.

I'm just surprised there are people that put millions into these things. Something that has no entertainment value, no utility, no physical form, and is easily subject to being stolen or deleted. :P

Administrator

When I think of things like that. It reminds me of the game called "Welcome to the Game 2." Sounds like it's more scary than good xD.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Senior Administrator

Yeah, but NFTs aren't even clever. I mean there have been some pretty clever scams and hussles out there (some of these phishing scams that prey on the elderly and naive are downright diabolic), but this was easily one of the dumbest and most blatantly obvious scams. I mean it's one thing to trick someone into pretending you're an IT or government agent and convincing someone to give up their password, but it's quite another to get someone to buy a link to an image they don't own or have the rights to.

After buying an NFT, what are you supposed to do with it? It's not like some kind of DLC that gives you additional content to a game, movie, site, or anything like that, even if that stuff may be virtual. It's not like buying some aesthetic gear or bonuses in an MMO where at least there's some utility and entertainment value to that (even though pay-to-win games are still a terrible predatory practice in games). No, these things do NOTHING AT ALL!

I remember getting flak for buying MTG and Pokemon cards ("oh, they're just cardboard!!") but at least those have a physical form that can't be stolen via internet hackers and there is actually entertainment utility behind them in that you can use them in play. And some of the resell value on these pieces of cardboard sell for hundreds, if not THOUSANDS. And don't tell me it's just cardboard when money is literally just paper, too. :P

Everyone who deals with cardboard merch agrees they're better than NFTs :P

Spoiler:
    Current VPP
    Tynamo@330 (Chen)

Senior Administrator

(Gah, come on, I was so close to winning!)

It's crazy how the simplest things can be worth so much dang money. A winning lottery ticket for example... xD

(Sorry about that, I have some time in my hands to visit PXR :P)

True, at least for TCGs they have to be official to be usable, but for plain ol' pictures of artists, you could theoretically just print them, but it isn't quite the same.

Spoiler:
    Current VPP
    Tynamo@330 (Chen)

Senior Administrator

(Tis ok, just how this game works! ;D)

True, yeah, this is how counterfeit stuff became a thing. I know a dude who creates fake MTG cards (more for fun, he mentions upfront these aren't real and in many cases its quite obvious) but if he really wanted to, he could do the wrong thing with them and trick people into thinking they're authentic.

Although this is kind of the reason why I'd rather buy things like this from an actual retailer that at least looks like they've been selling official merchandise for a while rather than some random guy found on eBay or so.