[Discuss] What is YOUR Artistic Style?

So I was thinking about this a minute ago. One of the most beautiful things about art is that our own individual style is influenced by ALL of the things that we're inspired by and what impacts us the most! Both from an objective point of view and based on some of your biggest interest, where all do you think YOUR style derives from? It can be anything, from visual art to written art to anything.

With my pixel art, it's hard to say WHO I'm inspired by the most. I got my need for selective outlining from the official Pokemon sprite style, since they use heavy amounts of shaded outlines. It's hard to say for the rest, though. In this department by itself, I've picked and chosen so many different elements that it's just...scrambled. Which isn't a bad thing! :>

My cupcake pixel art was 100% inspired by cyangmou and his tutorial regarding photorealistic pixel art.

I also enjoy trying to mimic other artists' styles completely in certain cases, and see what techniques I like the most from that. I really enjoy imitation, which is why you see so many TCG pixel overs and high resolution sprites from me!

When it comes to monster drawing and designing, it seems that I'm most influenced by, spoiler alert: Pokemon! That's a given, since I've been around the franchise since I was 3 or 4. Years ago I would have mentioned something about being influenced by Sonic the hedgehog...but I just can't really see it anymore.

When I draw humans or humanoid creatures, I've noticed that I'm most inspired by Ken Sugimori's modern style as well as the Hetalia anime style. I tend to do square-ish faces a bit reminiscent of Hetalia, and my facial structures and eyes especially do give a rather Pokémonesque feel.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    I do sketches and traditional pencil art. Illustration. :D Always been my strong suit. Been trying to go more digital, and while I like it, nothing beats the feel of a pencil and eraser across a canvas. Aaah~

I'm not exactly sure where I get my style from, though, it's developed and changed a lot over the years thanks to anime. Actually, maybe that's it. xD Anime would have been a huge influence on my current drawing style. Most of the time I just like to experiment and grab bits and pieces from everywhere.

I love to follow Chibi-Nuffie on dA, though. She has some of best cell-shaded artwork I've ever seen. Her Sonic OCs also rule. >u<

I do exactly what you do, Speed. I find I'm very good at imitating others' styles to the point that it looks almost exactly the same (which I suppose is why I can draw well?). I don't claim the style as my own, rather I take bits from said artist's style and combine it with a bunch of others to make my own. I suppose. xD One of my Uni lecturers once said I already had a style when I told him I didn't think I had one.

3. This post has been liked by:

Administrator

Sadly I have none (well no one has NO artistic talent...so maybe I'm at the bare minimum lol). Years ago I used to try a variety of things like Pokemon, people, objects. Last one I remember was in 2004 I tried drawing a character from Fire Emblem (the first one released in the west) and it didn't turn out super terrible, but he looked deformed or lopsided in the end. I would still like to improve and all the amazing talent I've seen from here makes me want to (at least with Photoshop) because it would be awesome to draw something I can expres like that freely.

I used to have a friend that, honestly could've become a professional artist is he stuck with it. Anime, magazines, general stuff like that. If he had an idea that inspired him he drew it and it looked amazing. One of the last I remember was he draw a picture of Goku from DBZ. It seriously looked like the creator (of DBZ) drew it himself in one of those large scale art pieces. Now I really only have a few friends with that talent. One who draws for the fun of it and I don't know if my other friend has the talent still (he used to love making things for the fun of it. My friend that had that amazing talent j asked a few years ago if he still had the talent and he had lost it. He tried and gave up about halfway in.

Who knows maybe I'll download Pokemon Art Academy and practice from time to time. Though that would only help to a certain standard since it is a small handheld device and note paper and a pencil. Even if it is similar in ways. Gotta start somewhere I guess. That and I gotta get back to Photoshop since I was working on something there before I got distracted. So many things to still improve on =)

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

5. This post has been liked by: