The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

University Applications

So it's getting to that point when I have to start panicking about which universities I should apply for, as well as all of the bonus stuff I need to pad out my application. I'm wondering if any of you know what the best things to have in my personal statement will be, and if there's any easy way to score a decent amount of enrichment.

I've just literally submitted an application for a university residential seconds before the deadline was over, only to realise that the deadline depended on when you started the application, not ended it. I found it more stressful than exams. But I digress. What do you think stands out and looks good on any university application?

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I don't think we do applications here, it's all based on your high school scores. Unless you're applying as a mature age student, then you have to write why you wanna study and stuff, I think. But it's nothing like other countries where you gotta have a full overcoming adversity story or anything like that. xD

Hopefully someone with some experience will comment, as I'm interested to know more as well! :)

And good luck! It does sound pretty stressful!
    GCEA

3. This post has been liked by:

Administrator

Applications can vary. Certain Universities look for particular things. Most Universities expect students right out of high school. So they look for grades, participation in extra curricular, attendance, etc. They may contact your prior school, look at your goals, but for sure initiative. They look at how much you want it. After putting in an application, put in a call an talk to someone. Ask questions. See if or when they may have tours. Just let them know or see how much you want to see and attend the school.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

5. This post has been liked by:

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    I don't think we do applications here, it's all based on your high school scores. Unless you're applying as a mature age student, then you have to write why you wanna study and stuff, I think. But it's nothing like other countries where you gotta have a full overcoming adversity story or anything like that. xD

Hopefully someone with some experience will comment, as I'm interested to know more as well! :)

And good luck! It does sound pretty stressful!
    Yeah, we don't do any of that. xD As long as you have a decent ENTER score, and get in early, you're in! Sounds tough for the Americans, aha.

7. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

It's pretty funny, cos from the sounds of it, schools that have applications and stuff are like trying to weed people out? While here it seems like they want ALL THE STUDENTS so they can make lots of money. xD At least that's definitely true at my uni where they don't require as good grades as other places.
    GCEA

9. This post has been liked by:

Administrator

It's pretty funny, cos from the sounds of it, schools that have applications and stuff are like trying to weed people out? While here it seems like they want ALL THE STUDENTS so they can make lots of money. xD At least that's definitely true at my uni where they don't require as good grades as other places.
    That's exactly what they are doing. trying to see who really does want to or wonks just trying to get into a college because say, their parents are making them, or they hear they need college to progress. Simple thoughts on why someone may not really want to go to that college for anything in particular. Doing what you said. Weeding people out.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

11. This post has been liked by:

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Uh...yeah. Here they just want to take your money and give you a crappy education for it (some places are probably good, but mine wasn't lol). And said education doesn't even guarantee me a job in that field, AND I'm thousands of dollars in debt. Way to go, Australia. xD

13. This post has been liked by:

I started my first year of University in September so I am familiar with all that application stress. I don't know how it works where you are from but I used a company called UCAS to process my application. UCAS controls all university applications throughout the UK and it helped because it told us what we needed to put down. Depending on your course, Universities ask for different things. All universities will look at your grades for the previous courses you did and along with that, they look at you as a person. I had to write a personal statement for uni where I explained my characteristics, why I want to go to uni, any extra curricular activities, such as volunteering or long term clubs and also they would want to know what you are like in general and what you do in your free time.
    I am doing Graphic Design so I can really only say for definite what those courses look for completely but I needed to go through an application process, then an interview process where they look at my work and get to know me so they can decide whether I am good enough and if the course is right for me.

So, from what I went through, I'd say universities want to know your grades, what drives you to be who you are and the passion you have for the course you want to do at their university. Try to sell yourself as much as you can. Try to stretch out the truth as much as possible. If you did something that you think is important to you, put it in. I put in that I got commissioned a painting and sold it for Ł80. It's something a little different so it stands out.
    Good Luck :)

Feel free to check out my Instagram for design and art stuffs

15. This post has been liked by:

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    Applications can vary. Certain Universities look for particular things. Most Universities expect students right out of high school. So they look for grades, participation in extra curricular, attendance, etc. They may contact your prior school, look at your goals, but for sure initiative. They look at how much you want it. After putting in an application, put in a call an talk to someone. Ask questions. See if or when they may have tours. Just let them know or see how much you want to see and attend the school.
    Tours right now are what I'm prioritising. Every other day it seems like I'm applying for some kind of residential or other. I think pretty much half my summer at this point is gone if all of the applications are successful. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupt_Voidlich View Post
    I started my first year of University in September so I am familiar with all that application stress. I don't know how it works where you are from but I used a company called UCAS to process my application. UCAS controls all university applications throughout the UK and it helped because it told us what we needed to put down. Depending on your course, Universities ask for different things. All universities will look at your grades for the previous courses you did and along with that, they look at you as a person. I had to write a personal statement for uni where I explained my characteristics, why I want to go to uni, any extra curricular activities, such as volunteering or long term clubs and also they would want to know what you are like in general and what you do in your free time.
    I am doing Graphic Design so I can really only say for definite what those courses look for completely but I needed to go through an application process, then an interview process where they look at my work and get to know me so they can decide whether I am good enough and if the course is right for me.

So, from what I went through, I'd say universities want to know your grades, what drives you to be who you are and the passion you have for the course you want to do at their university. Try to sell yourself as much as you can. Try to stretch out the truth as much as possible. If you did something that you think is important to you, put it in. I put in that I got commissioned a painting and sold it for Ł80. It's something a little different so it stands out.
    Good Luck :)
    That reminds me, we haven't even started UCAS and that whole section of applying yet. Thankfully I think out schools does a really good job at helping people with their personal statements and such from what I've seen, because even from the beginning of the year there was a mad rush to check them all. I'm going to apply for a mix of universities, but the only ones I know of so far (because I remember checking when I had nothing better to do) is that the course I want to do in university - linguistics, or failing that some kind of English - requires an interview if I apply to Cambridge and it's successful.

There's only one relevant thing I'll be able to write about so far, and that's a course I haven't even been on yet. That's the problem I'm having; I'm looking for more subject-specific enrichment type stuff in order to make myself stand out, but it's just so hard to find. And congrats for selling the painting! That's a great way to earn money whilst showing your passion, and I'm sure the customer was really happy too. :D

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Honestly it really depends on the university, but I think one thing they share is a unique, well-rounded applicant.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links