Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Events/sections discussion

Original proposal:
    SECTIONS
    • Challenges from the following sections will be included: drawing, graphic art, spriting, roleplaying, creative writing, comics, showdown battling, humour.
    • Additional, random pop-up challenges offering only participation prizes may also be offered, such as puzzles or games.
    • Some sections may run multiple challenges throughout the 3-4 week period and some may have only one challenge, etc.

So we need to finalise this list (as well as the scoring) in order to recruit judges. Are there any sections on this list you think should not be included? Any we are missing?

It's possible that we could allow members to run one off challenges as well, like EmeraldSky wants to do a Gotta Watch Em All thing. We can also have things like puzzles and games etc. that award participation points.

Th only thing I want to be careful of when running these mini events is that everyone has a chance to join in. Timezones and other commitments can make it pretty difficult to participate in events which are held live, like Gotta Watch Em All or online card games. Because of this, they probably need to give out fairly limited points to make sure it's not too unfair.

Any thoughts?
    GCEA

The only section I think we could remove would be Comics. I don't really think it has enough to really be a section. If we really want that many we could replace it with Debate because that is something that literally ANYONE could do. Or just not replace it at all we don't want it to be to overwhelming.
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I put comics in originally because the PXR community comic has been very successful with a lot of participation. We also got a few members to join just for that, and this might also get them involved in PXFIRE. I kinda expect it to do better than graphic art and possibly creative writing to be honest. xD

Maybe we should make a poll asking what sections the members will participate in and see what kind of response we get? Not many people will probably reply though haha.
    GCEA

Do you think we shove have a lot of different sections to take part in or do you think it will just be too much for people? Or do you think the more the merrier?

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Caite-chan View Post
    Do you think we shove have a lot of different sections to take part in or do you think it will just be too much for people? Or do you think the more the merrier?
    I'm not really sure... haha. My original idea is that every section won't run for 1 week like usual. Instead some sections will run for 2 weeks or maybe even the whole 4 weeks.

eg. Creative writing you might have 2 weeks to enter your story, while sprite art you have 1 week. Maybe sprite art will only run 2 events though, in week 2 and week 4. And maybe comics will be a 4 week event where you'll have the whole time to draw a comic page. So that way it hopefully won't be too rushed/overwhelming, but it will also give people a range of stuff to join in. :)

Obviously we will have to coordinate with the judges.
    GCEA

I can see Art sections and Humor going every week. Whereas the others every other week or even the whole month.

Senior Moderator

GWEA will run daily (to account for timezones), unless you feel that's too much. I'm also open to running it weekly or biweekly, as well
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

This is kinda what I was thinking for events:

So the art events could run for 3 out of the 4 weeks to give people a chance to enter some of the other things. Roleplay is continuous, creative writing could have 2 events of 2 weeks each to give people enough time to write, comics could maybe have a character design thing the first week and then the next 3 weeks to create a short comic about them and showdown and humour could run every week. This is just an example kind of thing to show what I mean. Once selected, we can work with the judges on the schedule if they have certain things they want to do in certain weeks. :)

As for mini events (like gotta watch em all and card games, puzzles etc.), we could allow anyone to submit an idea for an event and an outline on how it will work and be scored, and then approve those individually.

We should probably try and get this organised ASAP, so are there any other comments on what events should be included or how they should be run?
    GCEA

I think that should be good. The more we try and add to it the more we have to try and plan and organize. We don't want to over do it for the first time around.

I also want to pop in and say that even if we start with things like Comics and it gets few to no entries, then we can axe it for the rest of the comp.

11. This post has been liked by: