Page 298 of 365 FirstFirst ... 198248288296297298299300308348 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,980 of 3644

Thread: Other Chat DCC

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Hey, I almost went into architecture. Totally wasn't what I thought it was. I thought I would be building neat models of houses and coming up with my own unique designs. Nope. WAY more math, regulations, and structural engineering involved. Totally not my cup of tea. Glad I dodged that bullet before it was too late.

Senior Moderator

I'm a botanist.

·»Your focus determines your reality«·

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Hey, I almost went into architecture. Totally wasn't what I thought it was. I thought I would be building neat models of houses and coming up with my own unique designs. Nope. WAY more math, regulations, and structural engineering involved. Totally not my cup of tea. Glad I dodged that bullet before it was too late.
    I almost went into meteorology. I mean even today weather fascinates me, but I'm not the kind of person to be on live camera like that. Maybe behind a computer screen on webcam, but not on national television.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Structural engineering is good! :D

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

I started my new job in assembly and my arms already hate me. xD
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Political science would be great, if not for the fact that I'm in the minority and constantly under fire. What does that mean you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    Noble is more Republican though. A lot of people seem to hate Republicans these days.
    ^^^^^ That is what it means. ^^^^
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Xanthe thought Left Shark was a political thing.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    Political science would be great, if not for the fact that I'm in the minority and constantly under fire. What does that mean you ask?

^^^^^ That is what it means. ^^^^
    I'm really interested in why you're a Republican. I wouldn't have picked it if I had to guess. xD I don't know a lot about the parties but I guess the policies I've seen (particular the socially conservative ones) don't really match up with my idea of what you're like, Noble. I mean you seem pretty open minded to me haha. Or do I just have the wrong idea of what republicans are about (I thought the party was pro-religion, anti-abortion, anti-lgbt, anti-multiculturalism, anti-science, anti-environment, anti-women etc.)? Or do you just have to align yourself with a party even if you disagree with some of their policies?

If you'd rather not talk about it, that's totally cool. I just find it pretty interesting :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    I almost went into meteorology. I mean even today weather fascinates me, but I'm not the kind of person to be on live camera like that. Maybe behind a computer screen on webcam, but not on national television.
    I'm not sure what it's like there but I think 99% of weather people no TV are NOT meteorologists here. xD They usually work in the background.
    GCEA

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    I'm really interested in why you're a Republican. I wouldn't have picked it if I had to guess. xD I don't know a lot about the parties but I guess the policies I've seen (particular the socially conservative ones) don't really match up with my idea of what you're like, Noble. I mean you seem pretty open minded to me haha. Or do I just have the wrong idea of what republicans are about (I thought the party was pro-religion, anti-abortion, anti-lgbt, anti-multiculturalism, anti-science, anti-environment, anti-women etc.)? Or do you just have to align yourself with a party even if you disagree with some of their policies?

If you'd rather not talk about it, that's totally cool. I just find it pretty interesting :)
    You don't have to align yourself with a party normally but since I'm going into political science I kind of have to and since I actually disagree a lot more with what the democrats are doing than what the republicans are that's where I stand. In addition, I was raised in a Republican household so there's that. So to address the claims one by one. Just to state as an overall though, everything you just listed is pretty much Trump's positions on everything and I want to make it abundantly clear that just because he identifies as a Republican does not mean his beliefs reflect that of the entire party.

Pro-religion? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, if you could clarify maybe I could answer it. Anti-abortion? Correct, Republicans are anti-abortion, as am I. It is based in my personal beliefs that the fetus is alive at the moment of contraception and while there isn't much scientific evidence to prove that there is with fetuses fairly early on in life. Therefore, I feel like it's murdering those without a voice. I can understand why some people would want to have abortions and candidly now that it's legal there's not much I can do to stop it, I just think there should be more regulations in regards to it. And before you try to change my mind, just know that this is one of my hot points. I won't try to argue with you on it but if you're thinking of having an abortion I am the wrong person to come to. Anti-LGBT? This is pretty sketchy territory, as in my experience they're not against the LGBT+ community as a whole, just certain issues and it . Personally, I think there's a fine line between acting for rights and completely ignoring everyone else. More recently I've found that the LGBT+ community in America is slowly becoming more and more like the BLM community. They're stepping way out of line with some of their stuff and it personally really hacks me off when they scream about equality but then refuse to compromise or even listen to the other side. That's not equality, in case you aren't aware. As an individual who religiously is against same sex marriage, like with abortion, I'm not gonna stop you from getting married. If Xanthe wants me to attend her wedding do you really think I'm not going to attend because I don't support same sex marriage? If anything it would be because the wedding is in Australia and I can't fly there, but it wouldn't be because of my beliefs. Candidly, having a civil union where people get insurance and tax benefits no matter what their gender is, that's a great idea economically (and we republicans are all about economics), so generally we're okay with it until you start messing with the churches but that's a whole other conversation. Anti-Multiculturalism? Uh, no. The xenophobia thing that's going on? That's ALL Trump. Republicans are anti-illegal immigration but in all my time as a political enthusiast I have never heard of anti-multiculturalism. You might be thinking immigration? That's more for economic soundness than anything else? Think of it this way, I don't know if Australia has an income tax but America does and it's one of the government's biggest funding sources, so imagine Australia does have this, and then suddenly the country gets flooded with a bunch of people not paying this tax. They're still paying state tax whenever they buy stuff but the government's not really getting any money from them. That means (please note I'm making up these numbers for the sake of the example) the government has to invest money in programs to help everyone in the country but with only 2/3rds of the country's money going into the programs to do this. Economically it's not feasible. I know illegal immigrants, I've heard stories about what they've been through, and I don't want them to get sent back home as much as the next person, but when you look at the economics behind everything, they're kind of creating a huge problem. Anti-science? Uh... no? I've never heard of this one either and don't even know where you would have gotten this from. Anti-environment? Again, that's pretty much just Trump. Actually, fun fact, the president most notorious for creating a bunch of national parks across the United States was a Republican. Now if you're talking about the pipeline... eh that's sketchy territory again but let's just say the company bought the land legally. Should they have been able to? Probably not. But there's not much that can be done with it right now. Anti-women? AGAIN, just Trump. There's actually plenty of women in the Republican party that fight for women's rights just not in the same way you would think. A great example of this is the previous South Carolina governor and now UN ambassador, Nikki Haley. A lot of people really like her and she's a Republican woman.

I hope that answered some of your questions. You have to understand, Republicans are not anti-progression. That's not who we are at all. That's what we're portrayed as but it's not who we are. And we're not all like Trump. Republicans just tend to see things from a more economic point of view that Democrats. Overall I may be a rather open minded person, but if you start attacking my beliefs, I will fight with you on it. My argument with Starmie after the pulse shooting incident should be proof enough of that. And I'm not the type to let my personal beliefs get in the way of my friendships. You want to have an abortion or marry a transgender? Go for it, I'll support you all the way. I'm just more likely to support policy that are against those kinds of beliefs.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    You don't have to align yourself with a party normally but since I'm going into political science I kind of have to and since I actually disagree a lot more with what the democrats are doing than what the republicans are that's where I stand. In addition, I was raised in a Republican household so there's that. So to address the claims one by one. Just to state as an overall though, everything you just listed is pretty much Trump's positions on everything and I want to make it abundantly clear that just because he identifies as a Republican does not mean his beliefs reflect that of the entire party.

Pro-religion? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, if you could clarify maybe I could answer it. Anti-abortion? Correct, Republicans are anti-abortion, as am I. It is based in my personal beliefs that the fetus is alive at the moment of contraception and while there isn't much scientific evidence to prove that there is with fetuses fairly early on in life. Therefore, I feel like it's murdering those without a voice. I can understand why some people would want to have abortions and candidly now that it's legal there's not much I can do to stop it, I just think there should be more regulations in regards to it. And before you try to change my mind, just know that this is one of my hot points. I won't try to argue with you on it but if you're thinking of having an abortion I am the wrong person to come to. Anti-LGBT? This is pretty sketchy territory, as in my experience they're not against the LGBT+ community as a whole, just certain issues and it . Personally, I think there's a fine line between acting for rights and completely ignoring everyone else. More recently I've found that the LGBT+ community in America is slowly becoming more and more like the BLM community. They're stepping way out of line with some of their stuff and it personally really hacks me off when they scream about equality but then refuse to compromise or even listen to the other side. That's not equality, in case you aren't aware. As an individual who religiously is against same sex marriage, like with abortion, I'm not gonna stop you from getting married. If Xanthe wants me to attend her wedding do you really think I'm not going to attend because I don't support same sex marriage? If anything it would be because the wedding is in Australia and I can't fly there, but it wouldn't be because of my beliefs. Candidly, having a civil union where people get insurance and tax benefits no matter what their gender is, that's a great idea economically (and we republicans are all about economics), so generally we're okay with it until you start messing with the churches but that's a whole other conversation. Anti-Multiculturalism? Uh, no. The xenophobia thing that's going on? That's ALL Trump. Republicans are anti-illegal immigration but in all my time as a political enthusiast I have never heard of anti-multiculturalism. You might be thinking immigration? That's more for economic soundness than anything else? Think of it this way, I don't know if Australia has an income tax but America does and it's one of the government's biggest funding sources, so imagine Australia does have this, and then suddenly the country gets flooded with a bunch of people not paying this tax. They're still paying state tax whenever they buy stuff but the government's not really getting any money from them. That means (please note I'm making up these numbers for the sake of the example) the government has to invest money in programs to help everyone in the country but with only 2/3rds of the country's money going into the programs to do this. Economically it's not feasible. I know illegal immigrants, I've heard stories about what they've been through, and I don't want them to get sent back home as much as the next person, but when you look at the economics behind everything, they're kind of creating a huge problem. Anti-science? Uh... no? I've never heard of this one either and don't even know where you would have gotten this from. Anti-environment? Again, that's pretty much just Trump. Actually, fun fact, the president most notorious for creating a bunch of national parks across the United States was a Republican. Now if you're talking about the pipeline... eh that's sketchy territory again but let's just say the company bought the land legally. Should they have been able to? Probably not. But there's not much that can be done with it right now. Anti-women? AGAIN, just Trump. There's actually plenty of women in the Republican party that fight for women's rights just not in the same way you would think. A great example of this is the previous South Carolina governor and now UN ambassador, Nikki Haley. A lot of people really like her and she's a Republican woman.

I hope that answered some of your questions. You have to understand, Republicans are not anti-progression. That's not who we are at all. That's what we're portrayed as but it's not who we are. And we're not all like Trump. Republicans just tend to see things from a more economic point of view that Democrats. Overall I may be a rather open minded person, but if you start attacking my beliefs, I will fight with you on it. My argument with Starmie after the pulse shooting incident should be proof enough of that. And I'm not the type to let my personal beliefs get in the way of my friendships. You want to have an abortion or marry a transgender? Go for it, I'll support you all the way. I'm just more likely to support policy that are against those kinds of beliefs.
    No worries at all, I don't wanna debate about anything. xD I was just curious about what your take on those things were. Thanks for answering! I mean over here when someone says they're a republican I feel like they would kinda be seen in a bad light (especially cos of Trump now), but I know some of you guys on the forum are republican and I find it hard to believe that stuff about you guys, you know?

I think plenty of people are against, say, same sex marriage for religious reasons and I totally understand why that is, since you're taught from a young age that it's wrong! I personally think people should be free to do things if they're not hurting others, no matter what I believe. Like my religious beliefs shouldn't govern someone else's life. And you basically said the same thing when you said you'd attend a friend's same sex marriage even if you have moral issues with it. But then that is still kinda supporting same sex marriage in my mind. xD So I figure we're not that different on that topic, even if you feel like you're against it and I feel like I'm for it, it's like the same outcome int he end? haha.

But yeah, obviously it's a lot more complex than I thought. xD I still think you'd be a great president :)
    GCEA