Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

There's no way I couldn't do this precious rock baby the moment I saw it. Pokemon Green ftw!!

I also couldn't resist because of its stubby little feets, gosh.

2. This post has been liked by:

@monkeybard I love them! So cool! :D I have a few nitpicks:

Rhydon:

Love this guy. As dumb as it sounds, where you have some darker shading on the lip, right next to the very left of the tooth, there are two pixels shaded. It looks better with just the right-most pixel there, so it doesn't look so band-y from a distance. If you're unsure of the pixel, I mean this one:

I think the inside of the eye also looks quite band-y. I don't like the banded look much. xD I know it's part of the original sprite, but I think it's okay to make changes. I mean, these things aren't even anatomically correct, let alone correct in their pixel shading. The right side of the tooth looks a little odd and unnecessarily jagged, and there's even a pixel missing in the tooth's outline. I think the top of the tail could also be rounder and smoother, as it looks pretty flat, but other than that it's great. :]

Arcanine

I also very much enjoy this one, but there are a few things I have to pick on. First is the banding on the top of the lip and down the side of the lipline. It's not a good look. The other is the front leg. Err...I know that the sprite's leg line is diagonal, but it's not a good look on the HD version. I would recommend smoothing that more, to make it flow upwards with more of a curve. Even if it's going against the original sprite, I think it's silly to stick with the original lineart 100%. Right? Or am I wrong?

Also...what the heck is that thing drooping down in front of the back leg that's behind the sprite? XD It looks like flopping fur but I can't figure out what they intended for that to be. (That's not a fault with your sprite; I meant the original one. xD)

I think that's all I have to pick on. Oh, the rhydon has rather unnecessary antialiasing on the horn. Even though it's on the original sprite, it's on the dark side of the shading, so I don't see why it needs to be there. It makes it look soft, which I think is not a necessary touch. :]

@Suicune's Fire
    As dumb as it sounds, where you have some darker shading on the lip, right next to the very left of the tooth, there are two pixels shaded. It looks better with just the right-most pixel there, so it doesn't look so band-y from a distance.
    I've looked at it with and without, and my personal opinion is that it looks better with :P It makes the lip just a touch smoother looking in my opinion, which I like. It's not so much banding, but antialiasing, which I employ a lot in these sprites because the RGB sprites had a lot of it but also because I think on big-scale sprites like this it makes the lines nicer.

I think the inside of the eye also looks quite band-y. I don't like the banded look much. xD I know it's part of the original sprite, but I think it's okay to make changes. I mean, these things aren't even anatomically correct, let alone correct in their pixel shading.
    I know that, which is why I did two versions of Machop (it was so flat and weird it REALLY bothered me):

That said, the shading on the inside of the eye definitely adds some depth that is lost when I remove it. Also banding is more specifically when one pixel thick lines hug each other (I'll admit that this is what happened with Arcanine when I was trying to follow the original's mouth shading), this is more shading along the curve, which isn't necessarily a bad thing! In this case it works with the highlight on the forehead in making the brow ridge a lot more prominent and solid.

The right side of the tooth looks a little odd and unnecessarily jagged, and there's even a pixel missing in the tooth's outline. I think the top of the tail could also be rounder and smoother, as it looks pretty flat, but other than that it's great. :]
    The missing pixel was actually to smooth the outline out, it looks even more jagged with a solid outline somehow. I took another look at it and tried respriting that part, and it ended up mostly the same but I think it looks a little better. Also you got me with the tail, the line was way too straight there :P

Oh, the rhydon has rather unnecessary antialiasing on the horn. Even though it's on the original sprite, it's on the dark side of the shading, so I don't see why it needs to be there. It makes it look soft, which I think is not a necessary touch. :]
    Not necessary, but not necessarily problematic. The smoother look is nice, and what I'm trying to achieve in these pixel overs is basically making a huge, adorable version of these old sprites that still have the same personality and flair as the originals. It's not bad to stray from the original at all, but I'm specifically emulating the style because I think it adds to the sprite. If the line is smoothened out with antialiasing in the original, I'll do the same. If it's shaded this way, I'll shade it the same way. I liked Rhydon's original shading and such enough that I didn't want to make a reshaded version like with Machop hahaha.

So I played around with all the problem areas you mentioned, and made some small edits.

First is the banding on the top of the lip and down the side of the lipline. It's not a good look.
    Definitely excessive, I cut it down quite a bit so it's smooth without being thick.

The other is the front leg. Err...I know that the sprite's leg line is diagonal, but it's not a good look on the HD version. I would recommend smoothing that more, to make it flow upwards with more of a curve. Even if it's going against the original sprite, I think it's silly to stick with the original lineart 100%. Right? Or am I wrong?
    Neither! There's no clear cut answer for these kinds of things. Funnily enough, the issue in my opinion was caused by me not following the original close enough. As I said, my intention is to make the Pixel Over feel like the original, so in this case copying that straight line was the wrong move, because the front leg ended up coming out a lot further than what it seems to in the original. The line was a long straight diagonal line, but if I were to leave the leg at that angle I feel like curving it one way or another will look weird. Can't be certain though, because I didn't end up having to try. I moved the paw back and the leg's a little nicer for it.

Also...what the heck is that thing drooping down in front of the back leg that's behind the sprite? XD It looks like flopping fur but I can't figure out what they intended for that to be. (That's not a fault with your sprite; I meant the original one. xD)
    I thought it was the last paw, but that made no sense at all so I just shaded it and lined it as if it were fur. But it is a mystery, and will be until the end of time...

Arcanine was a rare case of me posting my first "completed version" of a sprite, because normally I'll post something, look at it and fix it and edit it before most people notice :P I thought I'd let this one ride itself out.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

http://pokepalettes.com/

Came across this site which instantly lets you see the palettes of Pokemon sprites. Might be useful for someone? :)
    GCEA

@monkeybard

I love these! I love how you made them stay true to the originals. And while your edited version of Machop obviously doesn't follow the original, I love that you added it because the original really is lacking, and it's like, you added your own flair to it. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I love the placement of dithering around the upper-body region.
    @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Hey, that's really cool! I didn't know such a thing existed. Thanks for sharing! <3

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

Okay so they're not sprites per say but I thought I would give Dream World pictures a try and see how doing lineless would turn out.

VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

Quote Originally Posted by Caite-chan View Post
    Okay so they're not sprites per say but I thought I would give Dream World pictures a try and see how doing lineless would turn out.

Caite! O: You should do these in sprite form! XD You've got a cool idea. I say you should shrink them down a little (especially that electrode) and try going over them with sprity-lineart. c: Because this is, after all, a spriter's showcase. xD That ditto is so close to being pixel art--if you only drew that face with pixels! (And the shading.)

I'm just going to throw these here because they honestly aren't gallery-worthy. They're fun, though! Well, the process is boring, but I enjoy how the animation turns out. I love color cycling xD

The process is quicker if you have access to a program with layers. Tbh you don't even have to do any actual "dirty work," so to speak.

Last edited by SassySnivy; 03-31-2016 at 08:30 PM.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

10. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I made a tiny Archen. I was basing it off the Chatot following sprite from HGSS but it ended up being too big for what I wanted to use it for. Oh wells.

<3
    GCEA

12. This post has been liked by:

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    I made a tiny Archen. I was basing it off the Chatot following sprite from HGSS but it ended up being too big for what I wanted to use it for. Oh wells.

<3
    IT'S SO CUTE, SARAH! ;u;

Archen is one of my favourite Unova Pokemon. In PMD GTI (I think it was) I had one on my team with Agility... Needless to say it destroyed all. xD