Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    LMFAO, so I finished stuffing all the tails (might need to go over a few since I see a few areas where it could use a bit more love) and now I have this GARGANTUAN BUTT KRAKEN on my bed.

I say again, this is a QUEEN SIZE BED. These things are laughably and ridiculously huge. So NO, CHAKRA AND SARAH, THERE IS NO FREAKING WAY I'M SITTING DOWN WITH THIS ON. XD

So, as it's no surprise, a harness actually has to be worked in and around these so they stay up and don't just drag everywhere. I'm pretty sure I have it figured out but she did leave me instructions on how to set this up, so that's the fun part that comes next.

Ah, what a great costume this is. XD
    Ahh, come on Neo. Spread those tails wide and pop a squat..........umm...sit down xD. Either way, oh WOW! I honestly didn't expect it that big. I mean I expected big, but not THAT big! That thing IS HUGE!

Yeah you don't want that thing dragging along and getting ruined quicker or getting stepped on. What made you decide on Ninetails when you contacted her about this? I'm kinda curious. It really is amazing, Neo! :D

I'm sure it's final designed look will be majestic! Honestly, thinking about the curse thing. I think nearly anything is better than this laptop curse I have xD. I need a counter curse haha.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    Ahh, come on Neo. Spread those tails wide and pop a squat..........umm...sit down xD. Either way, oh WOW! I honestly didn't expect it that big. I mean I expected big, but not THAT big! That thing IS HUGE!

Yeah you don't want that thing dragging along and getting ruined quicker or getting stepped on. What made you decide on Ninetails when you contacted her about this? I'm kinda curious. It really is amazing, Neo! :D

I'm sure it's final designed look will be majestic! Honestly, thinking about the curse thing. I think nearly anything is better than this laptop curse I have xD. I need a counter curse haha.
    I think squatting would be as far as it goes. XD

As for deciding on Ninetales, well, turns out, she actually made it once before and I was pretty impressed that FINALLY, someone does a Ninetales cosplay right without making the tails all thin and funky or flat and limp just because there's nine of them. Given, I know, it's a super-challenging Pokemon to make a cosplay for, and here she got the whole thing looking as darn-spot on as humanly possible. I thought it was pretty cool and impressive and I guess I pulled a YOLO and decided hey, try it out with your own! Only I decided to just go for a shiny variant of Ninetales because I like the coloring on that version more.

The difference between that one and mine is I decided to also add in paws for hand covers, shoe covers for the feet, and the head cover comes all the way down to cover my face so it's fully complete. To me, I just felt like if you're going to go that far into it to look like the Pokemon in question, might as well go ALLLL the way.

Well, I need to head off to sleep and find some way to get this huge thing off my bed now. XD

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    That is awesome, Neo, I can't wait to see the finished costume!

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

NEO THAT IS AMAZING! XD It really is huge! Is it heavy?! You'll have to be careful carrying that around on your back if so! No wonder stuffing the tails took so long! :O Her dA is pretty amazing. The Lucario suit she made is crazy good!
    GCEA

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
    That is awesome, Neo, I can't wait to see the finished costume!
    It's crazy... but fun. I fully put together the harness and tried it on (without the other part of the suit) and it felt pretty solid. Not too heavy, but I haven't really tried walking around with it, yet. I should have built the harness sooner as what I realized from moving it around with the tails fully stuffed, the tails can get easily tangled up. Building the harness and running the PVC pipe through the top five tails keeps them locked in formation and you don't end up with a spaghetti mess of tails in a tangle. XD

I'm hoping this harness can hold up the weight for a long period of time because the straps are a bit small and it's a little concerning. If I end up having to break out duct tape, it's not too much consequence because the straps and harness aren't meant to be seen anyway, but I'm hoping it holds together.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    NEO THAT IS AMAZING! XD It really is huge! Is it heavy?! You'll have to be careful carrying that around on your back if so! No wonder stuffing the tails took so long! :O Her dA is pretty amazing. The Lucario suit she made is crazy good!
    It totally is amazing! I unfortunately did catch a tiny bit of a bust in one of the seams and had to play surgeon with a sewing needle and thread. Wasn't too bad and it's barely noticeable. At first I was like "NOOOOO" but a stitch in time saves nine. I'm no tailor but at least I got that to work out okay.

As for the weight of the tails, it's about 20 pounds for the whole thing. Not really heavy, just really BIG and all over the place. But yeah, it's really not that much heavier than a backpack with your books for school. It's really just the size of it that's more on the crazy side. XD

And yes, I saw she just uploaded that! It's pretty neat and it seems like she can make just about anything. The poor girl constantly seems busy, though. Still, it's inspiring to see what she does with all this stuff.

So yep, I've tried the tails alone and the rest of the Ninetales suit alone and so far, both halves seem to be working out. Maybe tonight I'll try the full thing on after I get home from the gym. And NOO, before you ask, I sure wouldn't work out at the gym with this on. XD

Senior Administrator

Did it!

I strapped into everything and just wow. I think the only thing I would do differently next time is at least wear a t-shirt rather than wear the harness bare-chested. The friction caused by that was a little pesky and I think it would be painful if I wore this for over an hour.

As I expected, it does get pretty warm pretty quickly. I wouldn't wear this outside in the heat of summer otherwise I might actually be able to pull off Flamethrower and Fire Blast attacks before... eh heh, fainting and whiting out (of course you see what I did there).

I think the toughest part is just strapping on the tails through the Ninetales suit. And that's mainly because it's just a tiny bit tricky to locate the holes in the back while wearing it, running the strap with the connector through it, and then linking it with the connecting side that's attached to the tails. I was able to use my bed to hold up the tails, but it does have me wondering if I might have trouble with that if I were to ever take this to a convention. I'd have to lean against something or get help. Another possible option is to lay it down on a large couch or chair and try doing it that way.

And OF COURSE, as soon as I strap into absolutely everything, my dad comes up the stairs to pay me a visit and I'm just laughing to myself because of course, he walks through the door and I'm wearing all this. Inevitably, showtime. But he comes into the room and he's TOTALLY INDIFFERENT. I'm actually a little shocked. He comes up just to give me an insurance enrollment promotion card and that's it. I tell him I'm just trying on a new costume and he acts like it's nothing new. Out the door. Well, I'll admit that with all the over-the-top costumes I've had over the years, I guess this is the norm for me. XD

I obviously didn't try sitting down in a chair because that sure wasn't happening, but kneeling, crouching, bending over, and lying down are still possible even with all those tails. Walking around isn't hard either. It's great and is quite a bit of fun to wear! I didn't wear it for too long because as I said, the harness was getting pesky on my bare skin. I didn't want it to get to the point where it would start to hurt. The weird thing is that even after a few minutes of taking the costume off, it still kind of feels like the tails are there in a "phantom limb" kind of way.

It's a great costume, though! I'll try to see if I can talk my dad into taking a few pictures, as selfies wouldn't do this justice and you wouldn't get to see everything.

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    Yes, definitely take some pictures! I'm glad you got everything to work right. I imagine how weird it must feel with all those tails. xD

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
    Yes, definitely take some pictures! I'm glad you got everything to work right. I imagine how weird it must feel with all those tails. xD
    Yeah, I was a little worried about sizing, putting the harness together, and how exactly one even straps themselves into this. Everything just worked out perfectly, though. Don't you love it when that happens?

As for wearing all those tails, it's a little funky, I'll admit. It's kind of weird, cool, and interesting all at once. You'd have to try it, there's no one word that describes it!

Senior Administrator

@Pokemon Trainer Sarah @Chakramaster @Scytherwolf

Okay, more pics and stuff of this crazy thing. XD

Spoiler:

Here's the whole harness and stuff for strapping all these crazy tails to your back and butt! XD

I know, it looks REALLY complicated but it's actually not that bad once you start working with it. To strap in, you kind of need to sit on this like it's a sofa chair. Ha ha, yep, it's even kind of shaped like a seat. The two upper straps go around the shoulders and they support the upper five tails while part on the bottom part holds up the lower four but has all nine tails strapped into it. I guess the closest thing I can compare it to is a life jacket.

There's a hidden PVC pipe that runs through the top five tails and that provides the additional support to hold all this up. I should have set that up immediately after stuffing the tails, because otherwise it becomes a tangle fiesta and I was getting worried about the strain I was putting on the seams. That pipe keeps everything locked into this formation where you have the first tail going up, next one down, next one up, and over and over again throughout all nine. So yeah, these tails won't go waving or dragging all over the place and won't get tied into knots this way. The bottom four kind of wave a bit since there's no pipe going through those, but not much. Probably better off without too much waving around to be honest.

I tested it and tried wearing this with the t-shirt under the harness and it's MUCH better. That friction is kind of a killer on bare skin, but wearing a shirt before putting on the harness parts cushions against that and it works out way better.

Here's the paws! These go on your hands and they're like nice, fuzzy mittens. Good stuff. :3

They're pretty easy to put on and they're usually what I save for last.

You know how Ninetales has that extra fuzzy fur around the neck? Well, that's what this is for! There's two buttons to make for easy strapping on and removal. This is like the second to last thing I put on.

These are the shoe covers! I have a pair of slippers that I wear under these, as there's no actual bottom to these. That way, I can wear them outside without them getting dirty bottoms. To put these on, you actually put these covers on first, then whatever shoe you want to wear underneath. Easy money.

Here's the actual suit itself! It's soooo soft. it's kind of like a onesie with all these extra fun bits. There's a hole right above the butt so you can run the straps through that hold up the lower part of the harness. Then there's two holes in the upper back that hold up the upper straps that help support the top five tails. Getting those straps through while wearing this onesie and then clicking them into place is probably the only tricky part and it's one of those things Draxaca said I might need to get help with. I can kind of pull it off myself as long as there's something the tails can rest on. Otherwise... yeah, I might need a helping hand with that.

Overall, the execution of this whole thing is genius and would have taken me a killer amount of trial and error and dismal failures to figure it out myself.

Next time, I'll try to show some pictures of what the whole thing looks like together. Might need my dad's help with that. Or I might use my phone to capture a video. Video might be easier come to think of it.

Definitely a very fun and cleverly-designed costume. Still though... tails everywhere! It should be quite a lot of fun at conventions, though. I've always wanted to join in on those group shots of cosplayers. :3

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    @Pokemon Trainer Sarah @Chakramaster @Scytherwolf

Okay, more pics and stuff of this crazy thing. XD

Spoiler:

Here's the whole harness and stuff for strapping all these crazy tails to your back and butt! XD

I know, it looks REALLY complicated but it's actually not that bad once you start working with it. To strap in, you kind of need to sit on this like it's a sofa chair. Ha ha, yep, it's even kind of shaped like a seat. The two upper straps go around the shoulders and they support the upper five tails while part on the bottom part holds up the lower four but has all nine tails strapped into it. I guess the closest thing I can compare it to is a life jacket.

There's a hidden PVC pipe that runs through the top five tails and that provides the additional support to hold all this up. I should have set that up immediately after stuffing the tails, because otherwise it becomes a tangle fiesta and I was getting worried about the strain I was putting on the seams. That pipe keeps everything locked into this formation where you have the first tail going up, next one down, next one up, and over and over again throughout all nine. So yeah, these tails won't go waving or dragging all over the place and won't get tied into knots this way. The bottom four kind of wave a bit since there's no pipe going through those, but not much. Probably better off without too much waving around to be honest.

I tested it and tried wearing this with the t-shirt under the harness and it's MUCH better. That friction is kind of a killer on bare skin, but wearing a shirt before putting on the harness parts cushions against that and it works out way better.

Here's the paws! These go on your hands and they're like nice, fuzzy mittens. Good stuff. :3

They're pretty easy to put on and they're usually what I save for last.

You know how Ninetales has that extra fuzzy fur around the neck? Well, that's what this is for! There's two buttons to make for easy strapping on and removal. This is like the second to last thing I put on.

These are the shoe covers! I have a pair of slippers that I wear under these, as there's no actual bottom to these. That way, I can wear them outside without them getting dirty bottoms. To put these on, you actually put these covers on first, then whatever shoe you want to wear underneath. Easy money.

Here's the actual suit itself! It's soooo soft. it's kind of like a onesie with all these extra fun bits. There's a hole right above the butt so you can run the straps through that hold up the lower part of the harness. Then there's two holes in the upper back that hold up the upper straps that help support the top five tails. Getting those straps through while wearing this onesie and then clicking them into place is probably the only tricky part and it's one of those things Draxaca said I might need to get help with. I can kind of pull it off myself as long as there's something the tails can rest on. Otherwise... yeah, I might need a helping hand with that.

Overall, the execution of this whole thing is genius and would have taken me a killer amount of trial and error and dismal failures to figure it out myself.

Next time, I'll try to show some pictures of what the whole thing looks like together. Might need my dad's help with that. Or I might use my phone to capture a video. Video might be easier come to think of it.

Definitely a very fun and cleverly-designed costume. Still though... tails everywhere! It should be quite a lot of fun at conventions, though. I've always wanted to join in on those group shots of cosplayers. :3
    That's amazing Neo! I love the gloves, so cute! :) It does seem like it'd be pretty difficult to get in and out of by yourself, but that's cool that you can manage it! This thing is like a feat of engineering! :O
    GCEA

11. This post has been liked by: