Quote Originally Posted by Coru View Post
Guys. I learned today of something that is scaring me very much and also annoying me that Nintendo plans to release next year.
I haven't looked into it fully and it is very unclear as well, but from what i've read from multiple places including the official Nintendo site, soon, you will need to pay an extra premium to be able to use WiFi functionality on your switch. This is for ANY game that you will play. This basically nullifies Splatoon as the whole idea of it is WiFi based, and also to some extent, destroys the Arms and Mariokart fanbase who use WiFi as their main game mode. Really hope this isn't true or I misunderstood it but I really do not wish to pay an extra premium for these games that are, on initial buying price, already very expensive compared to other games on the market. It may not seem like a lot of money but I know for sure that some people can't afford that and taking away a feature they have been able to use beforehand when they paid for the game is wrong.
Heres what's on the official nintendo website. The bit that scares me is the quote here.
"After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online. Currently the free-trial, the paid service, and online play (for applicable modes in compatible games) will be available for customers in the US, Canada, and Mexico. For the latest list of countries, please visit Customer Support."
Nintendo Switch Online
Yes you'll have to pay for online at some point in 2018.