Page 14 of 302 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Yeah I'm one of those that haaaaaaate the new voice too. Original voice for Ash is still the best. It wasn't too bad in the movie, but sadly wasn't up to par with how t started is all.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    I agree the original voice was definitely the best.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I've caught glimpses of the anime now and it's even worse. Everything looks like it's fresh out of Toon World. WTF happened!?

Ash looks like he's gotten even younger! Is he going to be back in diapers next season?

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yeah but they brought back Brock and Misty
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Administrator

Doesn't matter if they ruin it by making the voices worse and the animation even worse. It's like they spent the minimum wages they could with this new season.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

"I was stupid... So stupid"
    The art style of the anime has changed rather dramatically. On the other hand, Sun & Moon are IMO the best series so far. Instead of Ash & co spending 20+ episodes of random filler to get toa single episode gym battle before returning to the road of random meaningless encounters, it has a larger core cast, and very little character of the day plots, instead giving more screentime to the main characters, how they interact, and developing thier characters.

If that's not to your liking, XY&Z was pretty much the complete opposite in every way, while still having good character development.

Both are vast improvments over the constant whining of Ash & Misty while Brock contibutes nothing bar a running gag that most people seem to adore.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

The new voices are REALLY jarring if you go back and compare them to the old ones. I've kinda gotten used to them though. I stopped watching like 1/4 through BW though. Saw a bit fo XY which I liked, Serena is interesting. I don't really like the new art style of SM but am interested in watching it sometime. That's cool if they expanded the cast, sounds like a way better idea. I have no idea who is actually in it though. *goes to look* xD
    GCEA

Senior Administrator

I've only watched a couple of the Sun/Moon episodes. I was curious to know what Alolan Raichu is like in the anime, so I watched that episode where they race with pancakes (most random idea ever). Wasn't bad but again they recycled the Raichu as Pikachu's bully theme again.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

It's not actually that bad? Sure it looks a lot different but it's better than some of the other rebooted cartoon animation styles I've seen as of late. One of the major perks to this art style is that they can exaggerate expressions a lot more, which makes it a lot funnier when this is done correctly, which it usually is. And while I can't do much about voice actors, you have to remember Veronica Taylor is 51 years old and she has a child that is my age. She stayed on the Pokémon project for about ten years, which is incredible. Most shows don't even last that long and if they do voice actors usually get replaced or swapped out a lot sooner. With a show going on as long as Pokémon has, voices are going to change. Personally, I really like Sarah Natochenny's voice for Ash. The difference between them has never been that jarring for me unless I go watch like the first ever episode and the latest episode but that's probably moreso due to sound recording from the 90s versus now rather than a difference in voice actors. And while I can't say much for the Brock and Misty episode because it hasn't aired in America yet, I'm hoping they go with Michele Knotz and Bill Rogers. Sure they're not the original voice actors but just hearing any iteration of their voices again would be great.

If something as simple as animation and voice actors is stopping you from enjoying a show with a bunch of character depth and a really compelling story then you're never going to truly enjoy some of the best parts of what anime and tv shows can give you. You want to know why Unova is my least favorite season despite being one of my favorite regions in the games? It's because until N and Team Plasma got introduced, nothing happens. Sure, the animation was great, it didn't deviate from the DPPt style too much, but the story was awful. Until we had the whole meloetta arc with giovanni and co. the whole thing was just utterly lackluster. But Sun and Moon? Every episode has some purpose. It's all about character and story development, and the Japan side of the series is really kicking it into gear.

My point is, love the series for the story. Pokémon has never been about fancy animation or voice acting. It's been about forming bonds with other people and deepening those friendships, with Sun & Moon has clearly taken to heart, both in the games and in the anime.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

10. This post has been liked by:

Senior Administrator

True, but one of the major reasons I also gave up watching the anime was because I grew tired of Ash and his story. I might have gotten used to the voice actors in time, but it was still the same kid forever and ever. It felt as though I kept waiting and waiting for his character to develop and mature, and just when I thought it was happening, boom, new region, new series, and there was a hard reset on everything, as if what happened in the previous seasons was really no longer relevant. That happened too many times for me to tolerate. It was done in such a way that it didn't even make sense anymore.

I wouldn't hold it against someone giving up a particular anime if it runs for so, so, so long and there's nothing prepared for the end conclusion that really defines the character and wraps up the overall plot. I dropped out of Bleach for the same reason. It was really good at first, but then I just got bored of it after episode 100 or something.

I just like things that have an actual ending to it. Otherwise they just run on for so long that eventually you get tired of it.