Buy our old boxes pls

Have you seen this?

LOLtendo,

Unless it's revealed that this is some really special *** cardboard with electrical cells all through its corrugation this is literally cardboard cut out junk, like Nintendo is going to get a big tax break from the Japanese government for recycling decades of cardboard they have accumulated as a large company.

or

NIntendo has been watching the way people have been conducting themselves with their products; they have observed with disgust and fascination how people will hoard and scalp anything they produce, consoles, little figures, even down to cheap junk sugar-coated oat cereal with Mario on the box has been hoarded and scalped. People will buy anything, won't they? Here you go, have some cardboard lol

That's my first impression anyway. Nintendo is great.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Haha this is so random. I think it's really cool but I also wouldn't buy it. xD Seems like it's for little kids. It's nice to see the different ways the joycons can be used though. It's kinda weird they decided to use cardboard but at least it's recyclable, I guess? xD
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Haha this is so random. I think it's really cool but I also wouldn't buy it. xD Seems like it's for little kids. It's nice to see the different ways the joycons can be used though. It's kinda weird they decided to use cardboard but at least it's recyclable, I guess? xD
    Yeah little kids would like it (I would have loved it when I was a little kid)...but being cardboard, little kids would destroy it quickly and easily. Their new cool toy is just some cardboard is going to get wrecked and when it does it will be a bad day. Unless they price it with it not surviving use in mind it will be not]so bad but if it's like the price of a game per cardboard cut-out set give me a break.

Still find it kinda silly overall. Idea behind it is great but something more durable than cardboard seems like it would be way better first looking at it anyway.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Matdo View Post
    Yeah little kids would like it (I would have loved it when I was a little kid)...but being cardboard, little kids would destroy it quickly and easily. Their new cool toy is just some cardboard is going to get wrecked and when it does it will be a bad day. Unless they price it with it not surviving use in mind it will be not]so bad but if it's like the price of a game per cardboard cut-out set give me a break.

Still find it kinda silly overall. Idea behind it is great but something more durable than cardboard seems like it would be way better first looking at it anyway.
    Yeah that's a good point. It better be really thick cardboard or it won't last long. The packs are actually quite expensive. I believe they were around $80 in the US. There's one pack for the robot outfit and another for the piano, house, car, fishing etc. Here in Australia the robot pack is AUD$119 and the other one is AUD$99... Both more expensive than games (around AUD$89). Seems pretty expensive for cardboard...
    GCEA

Let's Fight Crimes With Mangoes and Limes Wookie Mistake's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong, I'd probably never get it, and as ridiculous as it looks and seems it could actually be pretty sharp from a business standpoint.

In comparison, Playstation vr with all the leads cost as much as a switch, and that doesn't include the ps4 itself. PS VR also doesn't come with the move controllers, which i believe are around $100 brand new. So in total you're looking at $600+. Compare that to ~$400 for a switch and one of the Labo sets.

Even if durability is an issue, replacement isn't. From what I've seen it's all analog, with gears, pullies and strings/rubberbands, (though the tank thing confuses me). So if you're not gonna feel ridiculous punching imaginary things with cardboard wrapped around parts of you, you wont be bothered replacing parts, whether it's with a shoe box, or tupperware, or anything lying at hand. It's relatively cheap especially if you're a gamer like me and are pretty rough on peripherals. Good luck trying not to spend another $100 or so if you break anything on your ps4 VR. I've had my ps4 for 3 or 4 years and I've gone through 3 controllers and a few replacement parts (I play primarily fps games and i can be pretty rough on the analogs). So if I had a VR I'd probably break something, like the headset, my ps4...a wall. Hey! stuff happens.

If you do end up getting labo, It'll only be a one time purchase. If you bust a rubberband, buy a bag of them. Rip your fishing rod in half? there's always duct tape. Something more severe happens to your cardboard "toy-cons", I hear nintendo will have the templates available for you to recreate what you lost. I wish I could do that for my controllers, for some strange reason, I'm always moving to the left now, and no amount of duct tape can fix it...

And yeah this stuff looks goof, but I' walk around my house in a Chewbacca onesie, so who am I to judge XD

P.S. I swear I'm not a nintendo shill. I wouldn't recommend buying this unless you really like the games themselves and are willing to part with you're hard-earned money. Honestly, if I worked at nintendo I'd tell them to quit figuring out ways to make cardboard origami and gimme a FE release like PoR or RD.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie Mistake View Post

Even if durability is an issue, replacement isn't. From what I've seen it's all analog, with gears, pullies and strings/rubberbands, (though the tank thing confuses me). So if you're not gonna feel ridiculous punching imaginary things with cardboard wrapped around parts of you, you wont be bothered replacing parts, whether it's with a shoe box, or tupperware, or anything lying at hand. It's relatively cheap especially if you're a gamer like me and are pretty rough on peripherals. Good luck trying not to spend another $100 or so if you break anything on your ps4 VR. I've had my ps4 for 3 or 4 years and I've gone through 3 controllers and a few replacement parts (I play primarily fps games and i can be pretty rough on the analogs). So if I had a VR I'd probably break something, like the headset, my ps4...a wall. Hey! stuff happens.
    Come to think of it yeah, that's a good point, sure it's just cardboard, and basic super cheap things, but that makes it easier to repair. People will be going around will these jalloped contraptions of cardboard and tape and pencils and stuff they had lying around to play some games. But, they'll work. lol.

And yeah, I have to agree it could be sharp business, people will buy it even if "ironically" like people do things now and it's just literally some cardboard and misc. cheap utility items. That's what's so funny about it all and so great about Nintendo. I mean, if people want to buy it more power to them, wouldn't call them idiots, I don't even currently own a Switch and probably won't until the next generation of Pokemon is well on its way, but 2silly4me would not buy.

P.S. I swear I'm not a nintendo shill. I wouldn't recommend buying this unless you really like the games themselves and are willing to part with you're hard-earned money. Honestly, if I worked at nintendo I'd tell them to quit figuring out ways to make cardboard origami and gimme a FE release like PoR or RD.
    Oh yeah no worries, NIntendo if they wanted to shill would pay some to do it with passion in a swarm. The most I can give to NIDF feeling the most generous is that this is kind of like Nintendo merging their old roots of being a card company dealing with paper products and video games which made it famous.

The thing I like the most about it is the fact that it sort of brings all of us old fuddy duddies back to a bit of our youth, when we used to make a spaceship out of a big ole cardboard box and pretend we're flying through say the death star (I never did that *cough*). Haters gon' hate but at least it's not people griping about having to pay for cosmetics, or companies blatantly making games pay2win. People are probably gonna hate on it because it's childish. Those same people are gonna look at you like you're crazy rolling around in the snow, or puddle hopping. I'd much ratcher watch someone look ridiculous smothered in cardboard than some of these other current trends (looks at the tidepod challenge with undisguised disgust)

It does seem kinda cool in its idea, but also random. I think it seems like something aimed at younger kids because there's a hands-on creative element that encourages them to build something physical which can then reward them digitally. Cardboard is such an easy material to manipulate and cut out, and it does hold together quite well. If people take care of it, it won't necessarily get ruined, and honestly it's refreshing to see something not plastic for once. At least this is more environmentally friendly (I hope, at least).

But the price...now that's just ridiculous. People are going to start printing out plans for others to download and put onto their own cardboard instead of pay ridiculous money for cardboard. XD Nintendo really is a money-sucking parasite.

yeah, the price is the most prohibitive part, unless the games are pretty cheap, 10 and under, I can't find the justification for it, but I'm not gonna lie, I thought the same thing with amiibos and the skylander type games too, so I could be way off base.

Like you said though, best bet, wait for someone to post the blueprints and how-to's and all you'll pay for is the game(s).

Does anyone know if there's any software that comes with the bundles? I know that the variety pack comes with some sort of game disc, whether it's a bunch of "full" games or demos I don't know, but that might help justify a little bit of the price point.

It just seems like something ultimately nintendo. "Lo-fi is the best buy". The most advanced thing I've seen on anything attached to nintendo is the 3d screen on the 3ds, and that thing makes me nauseous generally so I never use it lol.