Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    You're definitely right. The skill/activity of an RP is set by the people in it. I guess all I meant by beginners/casual was an RP with a simple/easy to follow plot where I don't need to read walls of text in order to keep up. xD For example, all the tech in previous WAR RPs has put me off because I don't know anything about weaponry and find it all too complicated haha. Not to mention all the rules and seriousness of it all. I know everyone would be really welcoming to beginners no matter the RP and that interesting plots probably make the "best" RPs, I'd just like to see some simple ones too and I think they might be a way for people who might have previously felt intimidated by RPing to give it a shot. :) I know GCEA really worked nicely in that way.

I know the more involved RPs probably aren't as scary as they seem, this is just how I feel as a non-RPer.
    I get where you're coming from. You aren't asking for a beginner/rookie RP necessarily, but more of a simple RP. The plots in the WAR and Team RPs are usually intense and extremely in-depth, so it would be refreshing to see something less serious. I'm sure whenever one finds the time, he/she will craft an RP that's less intense and more casual friendly.
    Stay Gold

Dreams are everlasting...
    Simply Super!

Breaker of the Fourth Wall Tyler Phoenix's Avatar
    I'm currently cracking on with a PMD story which I intend to be quite easy-going to begin with. It would develop more as time went on, but sign-ups would stay open indefinitely and people's first missions/etc would always be easier and it'd be a way to develop people's skills and the like. ^^

3. This post has been liked by:

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Phoenix View Post
    I'm currently cracking on with a PMD story which I intend to be quite easy-going to begin with. It would develop more as time went on, but sign-ups would stay open indefinitely and people's first missions/etc would always be easier and it'd be a way to develop people's skills and the like. ^^

I'm good with this. :3 I was browsing the new Team RP idea going on in the Groups section, and I don't love it. I mean, it's fine and all, but for newer RPers (much like myself) it's a lot to get your head around. For one thing, it seems way too in-depth for my liking. And cause rust and Neo are probably running the thing it'll most likely be futuristic with weapons like guns and such that I have no idea how to use, or even the anatomy of. xD So something like a PMD RP, which is more my style, cause I don't totally love using humans, seems great. And I'm totally on board to help with ideas.

If you want to make the RP world larger later, that's fine. But I think starting off smaller first might be a better idea. It'd be more likely to bring in new RPers. n.n

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Eh, I apologize if I've scared people off in RPs. Rust and I usually like to develop weaponry and ordinance in an RP to give it a ever-changing feel as new things are implemented and new technologies and weaponry are introduced to push people to communicate, strategize, and describe epic battles, character struggles, and movie-like plot development. Our mission isn't to scare people off, but more like to present and encourage RPers to challenge each other by using resourceful thinking, wit, and creativity to invent and strategize new approaches to challenge and overcome the opposition.

I understand if some people would prefer a more casual RP. My only thing is I'm not a big fan of an RP that progresses really, really slowly, as in one post a week. I lose interest quickly, get distracted from trying to progress the RP further, and then often what happens is it falls through the cracks.

I think the better approach here is for a casual RP, encourage people to stick with posts that are one MS Word page or less. It's daunting for new guys that see massive, five-page posts and feel they need to push themselves to mimic their effort when that kind of thing may be overwhelming to a new person. But an RP where everyone is encouraged to keep it casual and easy might be a more comfortable experience for everyone.

6. This post has been liked by:

Breaker of the Fourth Wall Tyler Phoenix's Avatar
    Heyhey folsk - I'm well into the base development for my PMD RP now, and I've got a question to throw out about an idea I've had that REALLY fits what I'm after here (I think, anyway - I hope you guys agree).

As it's a PMD RP, I'd like to open the story to each player with a questionairre, where their answers will then decide their starter. While I realise this means you aren't choosing your starter, it does fit the games very well and add a different edge to the RP - and of course if you REALLY aren't happy with your starter choice, we can talk about it.

I just feel this would make a nice homage to the games (as much as you could just reset and reset in the games).

I'm already starting to think of questions and get a list of possible starters ready including Magikarp so the sooner I can get some feedback, the better. Appreciate it guys!

Heyhey folsk - I'm well into the base development for my PMD RP now, and I've got a question to throw out about an idea I've had that REALLY fits what I'm after here (I think, anyway - I hope you guys agree).

As it's a PMD RP, I'd like to open the story to each player with a questionairre, where their answers will then decide their starter. While I realise this means you aren't choosing your starter, it does fit the games very well and add a different edge to the RP - and of course if you REALLY aren't happy with your starter choice, we can talk about it.

I just feel this would make a nice homage to the games (as much as you could just reset and reset in the games).

I'm already starting to think of questions and get a list of possible starters ready including Magikarp so the sooner I can get some feedback, the better. Appreciate it guys!
    I LOVE IT. LET'S DO IT.

I'm totally up for a personality pop-quiz. I love quizzes in general. Cx I also think this will be good because it'd give me a chance to use a Pokemon that I may not have been before. Are you going to use the Pokemon in the previous PMD games as starters, or make up a list of new ones? Or maybe combine it? I think that the quiz should be optional - for those who wish to take it, and those who don't. Or, like you said, just make it standard and if someone doesn't like what they get, to discuss changing with you. But I really like it! Good thinking!

ERROR! DOES NOT EXIST! The Nonexistent Tazz's Avatar

No!

No no no no no no no no NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Believe it or not, that is a REALLY bad idea, mate!

While I really like how you're thinking of the homage to the games, it is in the RP's best interest to have people sign up as what they will. No matter WHAT, restricting Pokemon choice is really bad in general unless it is EXTREMELY PLOT CRITICAL, and I really doubt there is a plot reason behind why we can't play different/Evolved Pokemon. Some people just like freedom of choice. This goes TRIPLE if you're planning on making everyone go through the quiz. The only Pokemon that should consistently be banned are the Legendary/Mythic Pokemon and Ditto for having very powerful abilities (Yes, Transform is a REALLY powerful ability). This should really extend to all forms of the RPer's character; restrictions based on personality, back story, moral alignment, faction alignment, and other such things should be treated with caution. Some people would like to play as solo explorers or even outright rogues; you shouldn't give those people the short end of the stick. That, and it's really just a waste of time-if someone really doesn't want to play as a specific Pokemon, then he will come to you on it, and those will be the people who even BOTHER with the quiz at all. The quiz just seems frustrating, needless, a waste of time and ultimately only a select few people would bother with it at all, so you're just saving yourself time by giving people a choice and saying what's banned and what isn't up-front.

Do you follow my reasoning, mate?

Avatar by the incredibly awesome Neo Emolga.

Zigzagoon: Hatch @8,669; Linoone @ Level 100: 8,829

My VPP Stats! - My Prism Stats! - My URPG Stats!
    BEHOLD THEM AND DESPAIR!!

GUITAR WARROIR! medeleymedeleymedeleyMOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

With the PMD idea, at first I didn't think the quiz would make all that much of a difference, but Tazz brings up a lot of good points. For some people, it could be a fun and new experience, while for others, it could be a deal-breaker on their participation. From a personal standpoint, there are Pokémon I'd definitely welcome giving a try, a few I feel neutral about but would try anyway, and others I really just don't want to touch.

Second, the quiz sounds like something that's going to be a load of work to figure out, balance, and ultimately employ and hope it works correctly. You'd actually be better off using an already made Pokémon personality test, even though yeah, there's nothing stopping someone from taking it over and over again until they get something they want.

Ultimately, I say it's just not worth all the extra trouble.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I think the quiz is a cute idea. Making it optional or as an additional thing could be a good idea so that no one is stuck with something they don't like. So then people could try it and if they don't like the Pokemon they get, they can just pick their own? I'm looking forward to seeing how it all goes. :)
    GCEA

I don't see what all the 'hate' on the quiz is about. It's an awesome idea. If people don't want to participate in it, make it optional. I'd like to have a go at it just for fun, anyway. I don't need to be whatever Pokemon it pops up with.