Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I love seeing your WIP things! It's really interesting seeing how people do their artwork. That isometric piece is gorgeous and I really like the limited colour stuff, too. The smiling cat and the black and white things. They remind me of old school games. :D
    GCEA

2. This post has been liked by:

Not a clue, man TheoreticalSelkie's Avatar
    Okay I know I missed last week, but considering I've been finishing up WIPs without even getting to Wednesday it's a bit tough. Just kidding. This week is also a quick update.

WIP Wednesday #6: Quick Looks Again!

Getting there with the car. Cars are not a field of something I have experience in unfortunately. I'm looking at references for the Fiat 500 1970 L which is what this particular car is. I am planning on making a turnaround so I want to cover all angles (which seems to be about 8 so far).

Now for some finished stuff~

Icons:

And a bigger piece:

I freaking love that car. It's so cute, and the colors are really nicely done. What doesn't make much sense to me though is the shading on the one facing forwards: I understand that the sides that are shaded are meant to be facing more away, but you may want to have it be just one singular line that differentiates the sides from the front. It looks odd, like those two sides are dipping in a little more than they should.

Still experimenting with colors, I see? x]

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

I'll get around to the car... like... in July? Something like that. Hella.

Also yep, I'm still experimenting with colors. Which brings me to this week's WIP Wednesday! I've been slacking, I know.

There comes a time where you're not sure what's going on... this is one of those time. Welcome to another week of WIP Wednesday~

WIP Wednesday #7: It's a Safari Run... Right?

Well without further ado, here's the WIP of the week.

As for what it is, it's an game mockup in the GBA resolution. Am I sane? Probably not. But it definitely looks good so far. Just the background to do, which is going to be some weird lab thing. I'm definitely not looking forward to this part, because of how hard it'll be to pixel and line up with the rest of the thing. If not, I might opt for some sort of Mother 3 deal and call it a day.

Except, you know, I have to animate this at some point. But that's a project for another time.

And not much to talk about, technique-wise. I'm doing a lot of color conservation here, especially with the HUD and the monster sprites. So far, the HUD is just 6 colors. That gives me a lot of room to work with the background. Like... 10 colors, since my limit will be 16 on this one. Though I'm not sure how this'll pan out when I do work on the background.

Fingers crossed that it all works out!

Thank you for reading my rambling, and see y'all next week!

I actually finished a WIP Wednesday for once. I know that I missed a few weeks, but hey, vacation > pixel art sometimes xD

Without further ado:

Yep, the mockup.

8 colors, chili peppers in the background, probably a food RPG?

The things I make sometimes...

Oh geez I totes remember this. xD I love how it reminds me of the battle backgrounds from Earthbound and Mother 3, minus all the blurred and trippy colors. Still trippy in its own way, though. Are the face-like icons supposed to be for the different monsters? Oh wait, those are meant to be for the player character and co. My bad.

That centaur-griffon-thing that looks like it came from the ring tho...that's always creeped me out a bit, lawl. Like seriously Selkie where did that even come from

One thing I just now noticed about it, though, is that if you were to make the green darker it would be a little easier on the eyes. Also that pink background hurts my retinas, might want to make it...not as bright. x]

WELCOME BACK WE ALL MISSED YOU

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

@Speed-X

Lawl yeah I was like "I should make a laboratory background, no wait I want repeating food, BANANAS, this looks more like chili peppers" and thus the background was born.

As for the colors, the green is okay where it is imo because if I make it darker, it contrasts too much with the white. It seems to pop more probably because of the background (complementary colors). I like burning pink tho :(

JK, I pushed it back to a bit darker-red.

Hope the red looks better here, since I decided the pink didn't work too well with our snake-cat. As for our centaur friend... inspired a bit by Megami Tensei sprites and other... weirdness :P

I feel like a dark, solid-colour background doesn't work too well with the enemy sprites which are already very dark, and when each enemy has a different colour it might be better to use a slightly more neutral colour for the background as well. Some of the detail you put into the monsters gets a little obscured or confused amongst the current background in my opinion. It looks very nice though! Very quirky and reminiscent of some Megami Tensei x Mother or something.

@monkeybard I'm trying to fiddle around with the background colors which is probably a lot of work in itself to fix up since I think some of the detail issues could be attributable to the shadows under the monsters. It'll probably take a while to hit upon the right color for the background, so I'm probably not going to focus on it as much right now.

and a bit of a quick sword:

Lovely sword. O: I'm also a big fan of the GBA creatures/mockup scene. It's awesome. Personally my favourite background was the darker room-like one, rather than the red or pink.

P.S. Do you have a DeviantART account? If so, we'd love to have your pixel art in our PokemonCrossroads group. c: I can also add you to this thread if you have a DA account.