Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I've never used an electronic reader, I love paper books too much! xD I feel like it would be kind of uncomfortable after a while to look at a screen, but I could be wrong.

I just finished Independent Study, which is a sequel to The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau, about a dystopian society where teens try to get into a prestigious University but end up having to go through crazy Hunger Games-like trials. It was pretty good but lacked a solid ending, I suppose due to the final book coming out next month. It would be nice if the book could stand on its own, but it definitely lacks any sort of conclusion.
    GCEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    It only hurts when it is night, because screen glares XDD. Although, I want paper books (especially for Blood of Olympus) because (a) e-readers run out of battery and (b) the said eye problems.

Anyways, I finished The Red Pyramid (I'm very fast). I'm moving to rereading The Throne of Fire. (whee)

TWITTER: voltmakesart
    INSTAGRAM: voltairemakesart
    Spoiler:
    Current VPP
    Tynamo@330 (Chen)
    Hatch: 345
    Eelektrik: 447
    Eelektross: 450
    Level100: 630

Since I now take the bus to and from school, I have time to read on a regular basis and I've finished two books in two weeks, now I'm on my third. c:

First was Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. It consists of a central plot supported by short stories and poems about/written by the characters. Though I didn't quite understand the reasoning behind the character's main goal, and a bit of plot was tossed in the end of the book really randomly, it was still pretty good, though it wasn't as gorey as I had hoped or thought it would be. Since one of the first stories is about someone getting their intestines pulled out through their anus by the suction of a pool filter, I thought it could only get better and more gruesome from there. But unfortunately it didn't. /: Like Samurai Shamploo (if anyone has watched that anime) the best scene was in the beginning and it was nearly impossible to top. Not to say some of the stories later aren't gross, they're just not AS gross. One of the character's back stories say that she has a disease that causes people around her to get cancer and die (???), but then none of the characters die from cancer so it's kinda plot holed. Anyway, I'd recommend it, overall. It was a great read.

The one that I just finished yesterday was Hallow World by Michael Sullivan. It was kinda rushed in the beginning and end, and some things that happen are a bit of a stretch at to what would really happen. The main character Ellis tries to go 200 years into the future and ends up actually traveling 2000. Everyone alive at this point is physically asexual, look identical, and can travel using small portal makers. He does a good job of addressing how the near future would solve modern-day problems, and causing it to branch into his predicted future (i.e. everyone looks the same to eliminate sexism and racism, money was eliminated to erase poverty, futuristic technology erases the need for theft), but at the same time he overlooks some simple plot holes he created. How can Pax (a character from the future times) have a genetic abnormality (which I won't say as that gives away a piece of the ending) if everyone has the same DNA? Why is the language barrier small to nonexistent? After 2000 years you'd think there would be more slang, but I only noticed three or four words. Why didn't the government invest in solar power to prevent the Energy Wars that happened between modern day and the future? WHAT DOES ISP STAND FOR? THE MAIN CHARACTER ASKS HIMSELF WHAT IT STANDS FOR, ALL OTHER ACRONYMS ARE EXPLAINED, AND ELLIS GOES TO THE ISP HEAD QUARTERS AND STILL DOESN'T ASK. WHAT THE HEEEELLLL. The ending was really sudden and, again, was stretched a bit but whatever. It was a pretty good book, asked some interesting questions, and all that.

Okay anyway, now I'm reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, and I'm only about 30 pages in so far. It's written well, which is normal for Gaiman and I'm interested to see how the deity is incorporated into the story, as the main character Fat Charlie is supposed to be the son of a god. I'll keep you guys updated when/if I ever bother to finish it. :3

Experienced Trainer Zenith Avalon's Avatar
    I'm currently reading a slew of things, but the one I'll discuss here is a Pokemon fanfiction called In Love and War by legionaireofthe10th on fanfiction.net. It's a story involving Ash Ketchum and his friends, where Giovanni has teamed up with Archie, Maxie, and Charon to reform Teams Aqua, Magma and Galactic respectively, to take over the world (big surprise, lol). He manages to take over Hoenn and Sinnoh, and soon sets his sights on Kanto. Ash, his friends, and thousands of other Pokemon Trainers and Coordinators must fight a war to push back the combined forces of the four teams. It's a really good read.
    ~ Zenith's GCEA Stats ~ | ~ Zenith's URPG Stats ~
    *Sig and avi art made by Sou Cleife!*

In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    The Complete Sherlock Holmes volume 1 by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

I'm not very far into it though, but what I've read thus far is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    I'm planning on reading Candide by Voltaire. Because someone ;)

The last two books I've read are The 39 Clues: Rapid Fire and Inferno by Dan Brown.

TWITTER: voltmakesart
    INSTAGRAM: voltairemakesart
    Spoiler:
    Current VPP
    Tynamo@330 (Chen)
    Hatch: 345
    Eelektrik: 447
    Eelektross: 450
    Level100: 630

I'm stranded halfway through Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs and The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Nagisa View Post
    I'm stranded halfway through Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs and The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
    Ohh @Nagisa, I haven't heard of Miss Peregrine's but it seems like an interesting title and I see they are apparently making a movie of it. :O Is it worth reading?

I am currently reading the Deltora Quest series by Emily Rodda. I never read it when I was younger, sadly. It's pretty fun though.
    GCEA

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Ohh @Nagisa, I haven't heard of Miss Peregrine's but it seems like an interesting title and I see they are apparently making a movie of it. :O Is it worth reading?

I am currently reading the Deltora Quest series by Emily Rodda. I never read it when I was younger, sadly. It's pretty fun though.
    @Pokemon Trainer Sarah
    Those books are my childhood, along with the Inheritence Series, Rangers Apprentice and Harry Potter! I had no friends at one of my schools (I was only there two years luckily) so I spent my lunchtimes reading haha

I am currently reading the 'What are you reading right now?' thread.

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose View Post
    @Pokemon Trainer Sarah
    Those books are my childhood, along with the Inheritence Series, Rangers Apprentice and Harry Potter! I had no friends at one of my schools (I was only there two years luckily) so I spent my lunchtimes reading haha

I am currently reading the 'What are you reading right now?' thread.
    I never read the Rangers series but the other two yes! Have you watched the Deltora Quest anime?

I still read at uni at lunch sometimes xD When I read LOTR for the first time I used to sneak out to read in the middle of the day because it was so engrossing haha.
    GCEA