An Increased Signature Size

Hi guys, been a while.

Straight to the point, I'd like to suggest that the standard signature size be modified. 500 x 100 pixels is completely reasonable, and my issue isn't with that. Instead, I'd like to point out PXR's relatively low maximum upload size. The maximum size of 9.8 KB is pretty low, and I've been finding it increasingly difficult to create a suitable signature that satisfies this requirement.

This is my intended signature. It's not especially complex, fits the size guideline, and is even pretty small of a file (20 KB at maximum quality). However, I'm not able to make this my signature because it breaks a guideline that I honestly can't see being useful any time soon. If I was requesting something ludicrous, such as a giant gif going into my signature, then my argument wouldn't even be worth the air I'm breathing (or the keys I'm typing...), but this is just a plain image. I've tried my best at lowering the quality, but I can't get something that matches the pixel requirements yet doesn't exceed (and nearly double) the maximum data limit.

To give some comparison: BMG has a signature limit of 600 x 160 pixels and a data limit of 500.0 KBs. While the increase in pixels is relatively negligible, the data increase is substantial. Even then, 500 KBs is pretty big, maybe bigger than most people need. If PXR was unable to bump the data limit up to that high, perhaps there is a comfortable medium in between.

I'm not asking for PXR to raise the limit to something insanely high - we all know that 500 KBs is a luxury, but 9.8 KBs is a little hard to get by on. Raising the limit would, in my opinion, allow a greater liberty of signatures that is still reasonable within the forum's restraints.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

@Princess Crow;

It sounded strange to me that our limit was so small. So I had a quick look. The forum rules say the following:
    Member signatures have the following restrictions in place:

Signatures, including images and spoilers in the signature, must be a maximum of 250 pixels in height and 600 pixels in width.
    Images used (animated or non) cannot exceed 500kB in filesize.
    However, if you want to upload your image to our forum (like an attachment) in order to use it in your signature (I didn't actually know that was possible, and I'm not sure if the option should even be switched on, but anyway...) then you are restricted to 100x500 and 9.8KB. I assume this is mostly because the images are being uploaded to our server and therefore using our storage space, so we probably don't want to increase the limits. But if you upload the image somewhere else (tinypic, imgur, imageshack, photobucket) and then add it into your signature using the image link, you are allowed an image up to 500KB. So I would suggest you go down that route instead. :)
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    @Princess Crow;

It sounded strange to me that our limit was so small. So I had a quick look. The forum rules say the following:

However, if you want to upload your image to our forum (like an attachment) in order to use it in your signature (I didn't actually know that was possible, and I'm not sure if the option should even be switched on, but anyway...) then you are restricted to 100x500 and 9.8KB. I assume this is mostly because the images are being uploaded to our server and therefore using our storage space, so we probably don't want to increase the limits. But if you upload the image somewhere else (tinypic, imgur, imageshack, photobucket) and then add it into your signature using the image link, you are allowed an image up to 500KB. So I would suggest you go down that route instead. :)
    Okay! I wasn't aware that there were multiple options, but this makes much more sense now. If I throw in the [img] tags around the link and stay with the standard size, I should be good?

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Crow View Post
    Okay! I wasn't aware that there were multiple options, but this makes much more sense now. If I throw in the [img] tags around the link and stay with the standard size, I should be good?
    Yep, that'll be fine! I didn't even realise you could upload signatures. It's turned off for senior admins for some reason. xD
    GCEA

we'll never forget our yesterdays
    I'll go ahead and modify the signature size limits. I'm not sure if it's just for your usergroup or everyone else, though that's what I'm going to find out. Thanks for bringing this up!