Thread: Word aversions

URPG Staff

My heart is in several places and all of them are fictional. u^u

Word aversions

Are there any words that you can't stand the sound of? Does hearing them make your skin crawl and give you a strong desire to hit whoever said them? Are these words completely and utterly inoffensive? If so, then this is the thread to vent your complaints in. Note that this is not the thread for bashing people who use these words. Hate whatever word you will, but be nice to people. Or else.

I have a lot of word aversions, but I'll share my main offenders.

- WHOOPIE. I can barely bring myself to type this word. It's dumb. It's gross. Both of its pronunciations are just hateful to me.
    - GOODIE. This one's almost as bad as the previous one. It's weird and juvenile.
    - TWEET. This one usually bothers me unless you say it right. Most of the time it sounds like you're saying "to eat" and... No. That's incorrect. Kinda sucks growing up in the Twitter generation.
    - TREAT. Similar to TWEET, except usage is also a factor.
    - FLESH. I think it's something with the "esh" ending and the way it interacts with the "l"? I just said it out loud to figure it out and I feel unclean.

Button by K'sariya!

URPG Stats!

Paired with noob dummy crazy kid rad friend Nar.

A fairy a day keeps the Hydra away The-Hydra's Avatar
    Well, skin my flesh and whoopee goodie-tweet, this thread is a treat

Hmmm…I can't stand saying the word "indubitably" since my brother says it all the time (often improperly) to sound smart. Same goes for perpetual, especially when used in place of forever. Plus they don't sound great. That's all though.
    Spoiler:

TEAM MAGMA WOOOOO

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I quite like the word perpetual. I agree with flesh though, it's pretty gross sounding. Moist is an icky word too.
    GCEA

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

It is ironic coming from me but I have the word 'Religion' just because it sounds disgusting. I am Christian myself, but I prefer the words belief, faith and stuff just because religion disgusts me.

No.
    Because when someone says it, I always end up staining my clothes with blood.

Though in all seriousness, as pretty much everyone's noticed, I tend to stick to the greeting, "Evening." Anything else and I just feel weird. If I do use another one, either something's wrong or I really like you. In an platonic sorta of way.
    As for words that piss me off when said, it's really only two and they must placed together, in a specific order-
    Game Theory.
    I could go on and rant about this for hours, but I'm not in the mood.
    Otherwise, pretty much anything goes with me.
    ~~~Deviant Art~~~Pokemon Crossroads~~~Facebook~~~

6. This post has been liked by:

person. most of the time. Cheerful Cherubi's Avatar
    ... Moist. Also, any words that end with "-sts," like guests, etc. Ugh.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Uncouth. Ugh, such a stupid, snooty-sounding word. I never use it myself except to make fun of how dumb it sounds.

I don't think there's any words that bother me when I hear them (barring overused "like"s), but there's one word I absolutely hate reading.

Sneaked.

UGH. I grew up on saying/writing snuck, and so seeing "sneaked" always fires up the grammar nazi inside of me because it sounds/looks wrong. But historically, "sneaked" is the grammatically correct way to say/spell it, and "snuck" is a bit of a dialectal thing--not necessarily incorrect at the same time.

It's like "Leapt" vs "Leaped" vs "Lept"

UGH. ENGLISH

Banner by the legendary Neo Emolga!
    Little Lizard's Library of Tales
    Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Number III, the Argent Flame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Slender. Guess why.

Also, I don't like it when I am going to say words, when put in a sentence, makes a tongue twister. I'm much of a tongue-tie person.

Also, there is this super-colloquial phrase here in my country. "BOOM PANES" Pronounced as (boom puh-nes). It is basically... eww.

congrats for torturing me here

TWITTER: voltmakesart
    INSTAGRAM: voltairemakesart
    Spoiler:
    Current VPP
    Tynamo@330 (Chen)
    Hatch: 345
    Eelektrik: 447
    Eelektross: 450
    Level100: 630

xDD These words. Surprised nobody has said moist!

I used to dispise the word spawn. It just sounded so unattractive and gross. But then I started to use it a lot in regards to respawning in games, and it sort of nullified. xD

I HATE the word impregnate. *gags* And pregnant. They're horrible, horrible words. I'm sure there are more. xD

~SF.