Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Username: Pokemon Trainer Sarah
    WAR Team: Trainer
    Pokémon outline you used: Nosepass (Ruby/Sapphire)
    Description of your new sprite: Cubone skull
    Sprite Submission:

And progress shot:
    Spoiler:

I know we weren't allowed to change it into a Pokemon but this technically isn't a Pokemon. XD But if it's still not allowed, I understand. :)

@Speed-X, that owl is so incredible. :O
    GCEA

2. This post has been liked by:

Thank you! I just kinda WINGED it. AHAHAHAHAHAH...yeah.

Its amazing how differently our brain perceives something when its been flipped. With those silhouettes, you still see the original Pokemon and then flip it and OH GEEZ WHERE DID IT GO. The right side of the brain is cool. I love what you did with yours! <3

Im getting antsy to see the scores. XD

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    Thank you! I just kinda WINGED it. AHAHAHAHAHAH...yeah.

Its amazing how differently our brain perceives something when its been flipped. With those silhouettes, you still see the original Pokemon and then flip it and OH GEEZ WHERE DID IT GO. The right side of the brain is cool. I love what you did with yours! <3

Im getting antsy to see the scores. XD
    Haha! I know it is amazing how different they can look turned around! Did you try some different ones before Hariyama?
    GCEA

Nah, that was the first thing I saw. XD I mean I definitely edited it a lot throughout (changed its eyes from serious to owl clock-esqued, switched owl belly to clock face, no visible line separating upper and lower segments of beak, etc), but yeah. ^^;

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    ------------

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Oh, cool, you got it first try! xD I tried a rotated Zigzagoon first and was gonna make some weird dog/seahorse thing, but it didn't work out haha. It is a really fun way to sprite though, especially if you can't think of what to make!
    GCEA

7. This post has been liked by:

Great job on all the entries, everyone! I will be posting judging results shortly, so no more entries will be accepted past this point. :]

Grading!
    Spoiler:
    @XaiakuX
    Team Awesome

Neatness: 6/10
    Creativity: 5/10
    Overall Look and Effort: 6/10
    Relevance: 2/5
    Total: 19/35
    Comments:
    That smile does make me laugh. xD The saturated hues of the body makes it look like a sucked-on lollipop a little. xD The idea is pretty similar to the original sprite, however, so I don’t think it was that creative. The outlines are far too light, to the point of near-invisibility, as well. Overall I would have liked to see something much different from the original. The biggest downfall...you changed the outlines. Yeah, it’s only tiny, but not only did you eliminate lines from the contour, but you added a pixel in one spot as well. Doesn’t matter if it’s a single pixel because the challenge was not to alter the outlines, and you did. Because it wasn’t drastic, you didn’t lose all 5 points for that.

@Brettles
    Team Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Neatness: 6/10
    Creativity: 9/10
    Relevance: 5/5
    Total: 26/35
    Comments:
    Not the first to submit this time! xD Oh well. I still really like this sprite. The description makes it seem pretty cool and the face is hilarious, but the shading is fairly sub-par, unfortunately. I do like what you did with it. I nearly got you for a two-pixel wide gap between the legs of the original vulpix sprite, but because the gap isn’t open, then I won’t count that as the outline. I should have specified that in the rules but I didn’t think to. xD Well done.

@Minunrocks
    Team Aqua

Neatness: 8/10
    Creativity: 6/10
    Total: 25/35
    Comments:
    This is quite adorable. xD However, I do see immediate similarities, such as the legs and placement of practically everything else, and this is further confirmed when I zoom in. This lost your some creativity points, and an effort point, because you sorta went with what the sprite had already given you. Nevertheless, a decent sprite so well done. x)

@Speed-X
    Team Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Neatness: 10/10
    Creativity: 10/10
    Overall Look and Effort: 10/10
    Total: 35/35
    Comments:
    Fantastic. xD This is an ideal entry for what I had in mind. It’s genuinely amazing what can be done with a mere outline! I haven’t got much to say about this other than it looks completely professional and was an extremely creative use of a hariyama. I couldn’t find a fault.

@Pokemon Trainer Sarah
    Team Trainer

Neatness: 8/10
    Creativity: 9/10
    Overall Look and Effort: 8/10
    Total: 30/35
    Comments:
    I really like this one. Even though it’s a cubone skull, it’s not an actual cubone, so it’s all good! The fact that you could make this out of a nosepass is amazing. Really cool idea. The shading style really matches the bone texture. It makes it look really smooth. c: However, there are parts around the eye that clash with the black, and the edges of the socket are a bit jagged. Other than that, awesome job.

Winners:

Spoiler:
    Coming in second place is...

Pokémon Trainer Sarah!

+2 to Team Trainer for that sweet skull!

Coming in first place is...

*confetti*Speed-X!*confetti*

Congratulations, Speed-X! +3 points for you and Team Dirty Rotten Scoundrels!
    I feel like I should give you extra points for winning all these weeks so far. xD But I can’t. Ahem.

Contestants...
    There have been some amazing entries so far, but all these challenges boil down to the final test. Welcome to WAR I: Week Five.

WEEK FIVE: THE FINAL WEEK
    For the very last week of WAR I, your challenge is...

-- A Scratch Sprite! With a twist
    That’s right. This week, your entry has to be entirely from scratch. This means, no bases, no pre-made outlines, nothing. Just you and your empty canvas, until you form something from scratch. But that's not it. Here’s the catch.

Your sprite's palette has to be based off one single colour, which has a maximum of four shades. And what do I mean by that? I mean that, in your palette, you have to have ONLY four different variations of one colour. Just like the Game Boy Pokémon games, where you'd have a sprite that had black, white, and two other colours to it.

This does NOT mean "Oh cool, I'll use red, green, blue and yellow!" and then you have multiple shades of each colour. No, you have to choose one colour, and use four shades based around that for your entire sprite! Challenging, right? You can dance around this a little and use yellow, but then have your darker colour as an orangy-yellow, as that would still count as yellow, but only if the shades are close enough that they're not obviously two different actual colours.

Restrictions:
    - Your sprite may not breach the 96x96 DS sprite dimensions. I will be checking this come judging, so don't think you can get away with an extra pixel. ;3
    - If your sprite is not within the 96x96 restriction, you will lose ALL "Relevance" points in grading.
    - If your sprite contains more than 4 overall colours to the palette, you will lose ALL "Relevance" points in grading.
    - You may edit your sprite up until the deadline, even if it's been submitted.
    - You may choose anything to sprite, as long as it fits within general PXR rules (a.k.a. have some decency).
    - You must have fun. YOU MUST.

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask! This is the form you will be using:

Form:
    Code:
    Username:
    WAR Team:
    Description of your scratch sprite:
    Sprite Submission: (Post the actual image)
    THE DEADLINE for WEEK TWO is SUNDAY, the 10th of August at 11:59pm, 2014, or until I post judging scores. Feel free to submit something if it's past the date but I haven't posted results yet!
    Last edited by Suicune's Fire; 02-07-2016 at 12:42 AM.

9. This post has been liked by:

WOW. I am really shocked. 35/35? Holy crapola. ._.

I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with this week! I hope I won't be the only one entering. ^^;;;

------------

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    WOW. I am really shocked. 35/35? Holy crapola. ._.

I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with this week! I hope I won't be the only one entering. ^^;;;
    I was very impressed with that creativity, guuuurl! xD And your superb spriting style.

Same here! And yeah, me too. xD I'd love if everyone could participate in the final week! It is the final week, after all. ;o; To those who do choose to participate, good luck. :3

~SF.

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Congrats Speed! I don't think there was any doubt that you would win. :D

Yay for second! I'm finding all the crits so helpful during grading. :)
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Congrats Speed! I don't think there was any doubt that you would win. :D

Yay for second! I'm finding all the crits so helpful during grading. :)
    xD I feel like I'm becoming quite repetitive in this contest. SPEED Y U BE SO EXPERIENCED

That's awesome. :D I'm really glad you are, especially since they're normally quick tips. xD

~SF.