Page 33 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're a person on a site are you not? I did state they are from Australia. I think they know just as much if not more than you do about slang since they do live there. And I'm not going to ask nicely again, don't call me a Yank. It's pretty much the equivalent of calling one of you Aussie a Roof***er. It's not well respected and I don't take kindly to it. Especially since I know about terms from other cultures. So now consider yourselves formally educated that not all Americans are "Yanks." Because most people in the former Confederacy would shoot you for calling them a Yank. Trust me, I would know I kind of live there.

@HKim

THE WAR IS NEVER OVER!! Nah jk, but I do think it's still kind of funny that South Carolina still celebrates three confederate holidays. XD

Ah see that's because at the time the Civil War took place California was a free state and therefore a part of the Union. Since Union=Yankees that makes you a Yankee.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

I'm ending this. Because in all honesty it is getting ridiculous. I have explained how in this culture, it isn't offensive, and was not intended as offence, and that has been backed up by others. But your still choosing to be offended by it instead of moving on. That's your choice. But I am done explaining. If you want to keep being offended by it, be my guest. I am moving on because I have better things to waste my time with than explain myself to you repeatedly.

*Comatose out*

On a side note, that term you used, I have never heard. Please, tell it to me and explain it at a later date. I am intrigued.

3. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Yank is really not an insult. They say it here on the news and everything, if they're referring to Americans... xD It's the same way people call us Aussies. It's a term for people from another country. Either way, it's okay if you are personally insulted by it and don't like being referred to by it, but I assure you Jacob didn't mean it as an insult. :)

Yes I am half wog haha. My mum was born in Malta, actually. But I take 100% after my dad (from Holland), so people are always surprised when I mention it. xD

Also I only came here because I thought Harry finally revealed his face to the world
    GCEA

Senior Moderator

Ah right! See, the earliest ancestor I have not born here is my great grandfather. So I am pretty unsure of where my family comes from. I know England but not much else.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose View Post

I'm ending this. Because in all honesty it is getting ridiculous. I have explained how in this culture, it isn't offensive, and was not intended as offence, and that has been backed up by others. But your still choosing to be offended by it instead of moving on. That's your choice. But I am done explaining. If you want to keep being offended by it, be my guest. I am moving on because I have better things to waste my time with than explain myself to you repeatedly.

*Comatose out*

On a side note, that term you used, I have never heard. Please, tell it to me and explain it at a later date. I am intrigued.
    Yeh, you explained it, and I explained how it was offensive in my culture and I'd prefer you respect that. Mkay? Thanks.

Mm, see if I remember the origins of the term correctly from my Human Geography class, it actually originated from Wales (where the term sheepf***er is very common) where doing stuff with animals wasn't that uncommon. So since Australia was kind of part of Great Britain for a while, the term roof***er originated as a derogatory term based on the fact that the stereotype that people in Britain have such loose morals that they do stuff with animals. In case it wasn't clear by now, it pretty much means you're having too much fun with a kangaroo.

I'm like every country in Europe combined into one person. But I think that's like 90% of Americans too so it's not that unique. I couldn't tell you how far back my family goes because there's so many branches but I know we were all definitely here for the civil war and I know on my mom's side at least they came here as far back as the First Families of Virginia.
    / / / / / / / /

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post

@HKim

THE WAR IS NEVER OVER!! Nah jk, but I do think it's still kind of funny that South Carolina still celebrates three confederate holidays. XD

Ah see that's because at the time the Civil War took place California was a free state and therefore a part of the Union. Since Union=Yankees that makes you a Yankee.

Yeah, in fact, I believe some of you Rebs still call it the War of Northern Aggression. Which is silly. The victors get to name the wars.

The Civil War period is one of my favorite eras of history that I love studying. Reading the exploits of Lee, Grant, Jackson, Sherman, and others is fascinating and one cannot help but feel the weight of the American people resting on their shoulders. And, as you said, the effects of that war still resound today. It was a defining moment for us and I think that's why it's so meaningful to many people alive.

Senior Moderator

Oh! I thought it was roof ---- or something. Wow, I'm tired. Funny though.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose View Post
    Oh! I thought it was roof ---- or something. Wow, I'm tired. Funny though.
    I thought that at first too LOL. And I was like, "what do we do with roofs?!"
    GCEA

10. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

@HKim
    Lol oh my gosh yes! My history teacher calls it that just to be funny. We even celebrated Confederate Memorial Day in class. Also if you've ever watched Crashcourse US History the civil war period and civil rights periods have a lot of comments about South Carolina and Alabama. XD

Yeah, but I'm warning you now. You come to a confederate state, don't even bring of slavery. EVER!! That's like bringing up Hitler to a German. You just don't do it. It's wrong, it's offensive, and you'll probably get beaten, shot, or killed you talk about it. It's a sore spot in the south that I've found the north likes to rub salt in quite a bit.

Lol nah. That would be interesting but no, it's a derogatory term.
    / / / / / / / /

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    @HKim
    Lol oh my gosh yes! My history teacher calls it that just to be funny. We even celebrated Confederate Memorial Day in class. Also if you've ever watched Crashcourse US History the civil war period and civil rights periods have a lot of comments about South Carolina and Alabama. XD

Yeah, but I'm warning you now. You come to a confederate state, don't even bring of slavery. EVER!! That's like bringing up Hitler to a German. You just don't do it. It's wrong, it's offensive, and you'll probably get beaten, shot, or killed you talk about it. It's a sore spot in the south that I've found the north likes to rub salt in quite a bit.

While slavery was one of the causes of the Civil War, I find it interesting to explore the other sparks that set things off. Like States Rights vs. Federalism, Agriculture vs. Industry, and an interesting cultural divide. It's always fascinating to read stories of the noble Southern gentlemen generals who seemed able to do no wrong while the North bumbled around to find someone competent. And while Lee could defeat Union army after army, he could not compete with the sheer number of men and equipment sent down each time after.

How an entire era could capture the hearts and mind of a nation is pretty astounding considering that, as you said, even today we look back on those years with interest, and in a sense, a fondness.