Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Moribund Warrior-Poet Lord Celebi's Avatar

[Team RP I] General Interest Thread

Because I just don't know how to say no...

With a recent influx of vets, there's been some murmurings about a Team RP. For those not in the know, Team RP is a style of RPing developed by myself and Neo Emolga. It is basically a fusion of Risk and Dungeons & Dragons. In it, people RP on factions or teams, and build and command armies to take over the world from other teams. PE2K hosted 8 successful Team RPs while PXR has hosted a Team RP-style WAR RP that's still going strong. Unlike the WAR RP, if this were to happen, Neo and I would definitely uphold our age-old rule of never being on the same team. I know I am also interested in RPing a good guy for the first time in my life. Likewise, since no points are given out and the RP is based purely on the flow of conflict, I feel like a lot of people will have a better idea what they're getting into for this one, so battles won't come as much of a surprise as they did in the WAR RP.

If there is significant interest, here are the following questions that need to be answered:
    • What is the threshold for "enough interest" in order to begin planning a Team RP?
    • What is the entrance requirement for a team? How many teams will there be?
    • Modern technological level or futuristic?
    • Will it be set on the Pokemon-world/Maridia or on a planet(s) of our own creation?
    • Should project lists be re-introduced?
    • Do we need to have Pokemon in the RP?

@Neo Emolga, @Shen, @HKim, @XaiakuX, @Saraibre Ryu, @Grassy_Aggron, @The Nonexistent Tazz, @bronislav84, @paperfairy, @MC Elesa, @Finch, @SuperBoy, @Akaida, @Skiiage, @Pokemon Trainer Sarah, @Suicune's Fire, @Homura, @The Frost Dragon, @Lightning Dash, @Shadow Tracker Max this is relevant to your interests.
    There's a Starman waiting in the sky!
    He'd like to come and meet us, but he thinks he'd blow our minds.
    There's a Starman waiting in the sky!
    He's told us not to blow it 'cause he knows it's all worthwhile.

ERROR! DOES NOT EXIST! The Nonexistent Tazz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Celebi View Post
    Because I just don't know how to say no...

With a recent influx of vets, there's been some murmurings about a Team RP. For those not in the know, Team RP is a style of RPing developed by myself and Neo Emolga. It is basically a fusion of Risk and Dungeons & Dragons. In it, people RP on factions or teams, and build and command armies to take over the world from other teams. PE2K hosted 8 successful Team RPs while PXR has hosted a Team RP-style WAR RP that's still going strong. Unlike the WAR RP, if this were to happen, Neo and I would definitely uphold our age-old rule of never being on the same team. I know I am also interested in RPing a good guy for the first time in my life. Likewise, since no points are given out and the RP is based purely on the flow of conflict, I feel like a lot of people will have a better idea what they're getting into for this one, so battles won't come as much of a surprise as they did in the WAR RP.

If there is significant interest, here are the following questions that need to be answered:
    • What is the threshold for "enough interest" in order to begin planning a Team RP?
    • What is the entrance requirement for a team? How many teams will there be?
    • Modern technological level or futuristic?
    • Will it be set on the Pokemon-world/Maridia or on a planet(s) of our own creation?
    • Should project lists be re-introduced?
    • Do we need to have Pokemon in the RP?

@Neo Emolga, @Shen, @HKim, @XaiakuX, @Saraibre Ryu, @Grassy_Aggron, @The Nonexistent Tazz, @bronislav84, @paperfairy, @MC Elesa, @Finch, @SuperBoy, @Akaida, @Skiiage, @Pokemon Trainer Sarah, @Suicune's Fire, @Homura, @The Frost Dragon, @Lightning Dash, @Shadow Tracker Max this is relevant to your interests.
    I'd be willing to make a team for this, FYI. Probably a villain team, but I'm not sure what yet.

I'm not sure on team size, but I think more than fifteen-sixteen people should be the bare minimum for even considering a Team RP in the first place.

On teams: 4 members per team (including the leader), and at least three teams total should suffice.

I think a setting leaning more towards the modern end would be OK, but I'd like two fields of technology that are obviously futuristic due to the sheer level of presence in the Pokemonverse alerady: Psionics and Digitalization. However, I'm game for anything tech-wise, really.

I'm pretty sure having locations everyone can remember would help, so I'm game for another round in Maridia. I'd take it a step further and make it a distant sequal to the WAR RP that's ongoing-not sure if anyone agrees to THAT point, but this would be distant enough that the factions of the original have disbanded, and took their secrets with them so we can start over from scratch. I'm game for most anything, though.

Project Lists I think should remain out of the picture. It's not like we still can't make multiple projects at once anyways, and though I worked with them once, I cannot see the benefit that some coordination can easily make up for in spades.

And lastly, Pokemon. This is a Pokemon forum. We don't NEED Pokemon, true, but let's face facts, we want them way too much anyways so we should just assume we need them.
    Last edited by The Nonexistent Tazz; 08-25-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Avatar by the incredibly awesome Neo Emolga.

Zigzagoon: Hatch @8,669; Linoone @ Level 100: 8,829

My VPP Stats! - My Prism Stats! - My URPG Stats!
    BEHOLD THEM AND DESPAIR!!

GUITAR WARROIR! medeleymedeleymedeleyMOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

3. This post has been liked by:

Experienced Trainer bronislav84's Avatar
    I don't think we have enough RPers on Cross to fit fifteen people team minimums. Make four bare minimum for a team. Unless you mean fifteen to sixteen for interest, then yea.

I think near future would be a good setting, and yea as a Pokémon forum it needs Pokémon. That doesn't mean we can't integrate other fandoms, though. I've always wanted to do an Avatar/Pokémon RP. Also Sonic/Pokémon could have worked out, but that just became unnecessarily complicated. It could have been a little different. The idea was sound though.

We keep the relative tech level, but make it so the factions have disbanded yea. Though some things would remain. I'm thinking Amelia would found a whole civilization with her magic, for example.

We don't need project lists, but people can easily develop things just by writing about there being progress made.

I would like to bring back DARK, but if Trainer comes back as a team I'd probably stay with it.

Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

I just wanted to say that I would be interested in this if it comes about.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I really like RPs, but I'm just not sure where I'll be come a few months from now. But in any case, I could toss in my few cents here.

What is the threshold for "enough interest" in order to begin planning a Team RP?

I would say at least ten people and two teams as the bare bones minimum. Given, the more, the merrier.

What is the entrance requirement for a team? How many teams will there be?

I agree with Bron, I would say a four member minimum. As for number of teams, anything between 2-8 is feasible, and that's a pretty wide area to work with, I feel.

Modern technological level or futuristic?

This is a toughie. I'm leaning a bit more toward futuristic. Because... well... laser explosions!

Will it be set on the Pokemon-world/Maridia or on a planet(s) of our own creation?

World-building gets tricky and the issue there is it often feels smaller than working with the Pokémon world as is. It really depends on what you're going for, though.

Should project lists be re-introduced?

We don't really need them. I'd be okay either way, though.

Do we need to have Pokémon in the RP?

Nah, we don't need them, but if you take them out, definitely consider having something else to fill in the void that's going to be there when no one has the critters to summon. That could be anything between magic, superpowers, abilities, and whatnot. Races has always been kind of a weird area here though. We've tried it in the past and got mixed results, so I'm not sure.

--------

And some other considerations include:

For one, a Team RP with the setting style of Wreck-It-Ralph, I feel, would be awesome. If you haven't seen Wreck-It-Ralph, shut off your bloody computer/phone IMMEDIATELY and SEE IT NOW. Just kidding, but seriously, it's an epic movie, easily one of my favorites. But in a sense, it's a setting where there's an arcade, multiple games are connected via a surge which acts like a grand central station that allows characters from one game to cross into others.

In this scenario, each team would represent their own video game (one that's made up), and the objective there would be to defend their own unique game world, but then try to sabotage the others. Meanwhile, there could be something else going on, such as a computer virus or something that's messing with game code and causing mishaps to happen.

The other idea I've always wanted to try is a Kung-Fu Panda style RP where all the characters are anthropomorphic characters using Chinese or Japanese weaponry and fighting styles in a Feudal China/Japan setting. Incorporate some magic and/or special abilities/powers and I think it could be the recipe for a pretty interesting and fun RP.

So yeah, there's my input.

Just gonna comment on a point Neo made. I think rather than making it specific made up video games and having people fit their characters into that, I think it should be types of video games. Genres. Say sci-fi, fantasy, high fantasy, mech, etc. That way we can actually do epic showdowns of characters from games we actually like. It also removes the problem of "Oh I wanna join that team but hate their snuggly bunny game concept" by increasing character variety. You get the idea.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 08-26-2014 at 01:07 AM.

As far as my own opinions on this goes I'm all for it conceptually, but so out of the loop that any input or advice from my end could be a little sketchy to say the least. That said, a few thoughts:

I am with what appears to be a growing concensus supporting a minimum of 2 teams of 4. I wouldn't be against a draft system as has been implemented for PE2K war teams either, to hopefully allow for a degree of team balancing.

Setting, including technological advancement, would be of very little importance to my own interest in the RP. I'd be on board with whatever. While ideas are being tossed around though, I did come up with something a while back that some vets might remember involving a Maridia vs Earth scenario. Some technological breakthrough could lead to one civilisation discovering the other and a conflict arising... you get the picture. Fairly sure it died from inactivity but the concept was solid, could dig it up.

Why should project lists ever be re-introduced?

Do we need to have Pokemon in the RP? Again, not of massive importance personally. Would consider any scenario.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I fully support this if you guys get enough interest! :) Just want to point out that we have quite a few people interested in more casual RPing. I know that's not what you guys like, but if you're finding it hard to get interest, it might be an idea to consider making it more newbie friendly/less intimidating and get some of those guys involved.

Hope this works out. Just let me know if you need anything from the staff side! :D
    GCEA

Moribund Warrior-Poet Lord Celebi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    I fully support this if you guys get enough interest! :) Just want to point out that we have quite a few people interested in more casual RPing. I know that's not what you guys like, but if you're finding it hard to get interest, it might be an idea to consider making it more newbie friendly/less intimidating and get some of those guys involved.

Hope this works out. Just let me know if you need anything from the staff side! :D
    @Pokemon Trainer Sarah, what would you recommend to make this event more casual friendly?

I would like to say I'm very much against drafts and/or ceiling caps. While it does make for fairness overall, it creates unfairness for individual players.

If I can't join a team with my good friends and have to join a team I don't like just cause the one I like is full, I feel sad and might be less inclined overall to participate.

If I don't get drafted to a team with my good friends and either somebody wants me that I don't like or I'm at my refusal limit (If there's such a thing) I'm stuck writing for a team I don't want to be on if I want to participate at all.

You get the idea.