Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

Interlude: Together Again

The sun was setting as Ash, May and Brock departed Petalburg Gym. "Wally sounds like a nice person." Ash grinned.

"What he lacks in physical strength, he more than makes up for in heart." Brock agreed. "Did you see how he was talking to his Ralts all the way back to town?"

"I did...I wish him and Link the very best." May replied before looking towards the stage. "But I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the band..."

A voice calling her name snapped May to attention. When she looked to see who had called, she smiled when she saw a black haired girl running to meet her. "Dawn! You made it!"

"It's always good to see you, my fellow coordinator." Dawn smiled as she and May embraced. "I heard there's an up and coming coordinator here named Lisia that's really making some noise here..."

"I haven't really seen her skills for myself, but I do want to meet her on my new trip around Houen..." May began as a familiar orange haired girl arrived.

"Misty!" Ash ran to embrace his friend. "The piano's here and all wired, so if you wanna warm up before the crowds get here, be my guest."

"Good idea!" May agreed as she made her way to the stage, where she gasped at even more familiar faces.

"Hi, Serena..." Ash paused to hug a blonde haired girl. "Kamon..."

"Ready to rock here." a red haired boy replied before turning his attention to tuning a black bass guitar.

"...and Crystal." Ash acknowledged a blue haired girl looking to see if all her instruments were accounted for.

"Saxophones are all here, as is my trumpet and the trombone." Crystal reported.

"I understand you're actually trying to battle again?" Dawn asked as May went to work tuning her own acoustic guitar.

"Yeah--once I finish tuning, I'll show you my team so far." May replied before focusing on her instruments.

Once sure both guitars were in tune, she retrieved her three Poke Balls and heaved them skyward. "Come on out, everyone!"

Zelda was first to materialize. Oh my...so many instruments here... she gasped.

"Well, I play in a band, and we're gonna play a concert here in an hour or two." May explained.

Zelda smiled. That would explain the people starting to file in with glowing sticks...

"We like seeing those as we play, so we give them out if we're playing inside or at night." Ash explained before instructing his bandmates "Get your protection on, everyone!"

"This is Starshine..." May gestured to Starshine as she put on some protective headphones. "and this is Niji." she smiled as she gestured to Niji.

[Nice to meet you all.] Sharshine smiled.

[Yes, a pleasure to meet you.] Niji agreed.

If you don't mind, we're going to find a place to enjoy the show. Zelda replied before warping away with Starshine and Niji. Play your best for me!

"I will, Zelda!" May called back as she watched the throngs of excited fans fill the square....

Senior Moderator

Episode 5: Live from Petalburg (part 1)

The square was crowded with excited people as the sun sank beneath the trees. But as May slung her electric guitar around her in the backstage area, she closed her eyes for a moment. Mom, Dad, Max, and my team--I've practiced hard, and now I will play my best for you!

"May, we're on!" Ash called. "The warm up band just finished!"

Here we go! May thought as she followed Ash onto the darkened stage. Even though all she could see was a sea of red lightsticks from the darkness, she saw three more raised higher than the others. That's probably Mom, Dad,and Max

"And now, ladies and gentlemen! The Red Masters!" the announcer called, making the crowd roar with excitement. The tick-tick-tick of drum sticks tapping came next, and the stage came to life as May and Misty led the way into "Dancing on the Ceiling".

The crowd roared and started clapping along to the nostalgic melody as Ash unleashed an ecstatic "HOO!", making half the girls in the audience scream before he sang:

What is happening here?
    Something's going on that's not quite clear...
    Somebody turn on the lights!
    We're gonna have a party,
    It's starting tonight!

Oh, what a feeling,
    When we're dancing on the ceiling...
    Oh, what a feeling,

The room is hot and that's good!
    Some of my friends came by from the neighborhood,
    The people startin' to climb the walls
    Ooh, it looks like everybody is having a ball!

Oh, what a feeling,

When we're dancing on the ceiling... May and Dawn echoed.

Oh, what a feeling, Ash sang alone.

When we're dancing on the ceiling... May and Dawn echoed again.

Oh, what a feeling,
    Ash sang alone.
    Oh, what a feeling,
    When we're dancing on the ceiling!

"Come on!" Ash called to the ecstatic crowd as May broke off to solo. But as she played, May thought she saw a single light stick moving more than the others--Max cheering!

Everybody start to lose control
    When the music is right!
    Ash and Dawn sang together.

If you see somebody hangin' around,
    Don't get uptight!
    Ash assured the crowd.
    The only thing we want to do tonight
    Is go 'round and 'round
    And turn upside down
    Come on! Let's get down!

The crowd roared in response to this. From her spot on the stage, May could see Calvin dancing with his Zigzagoon Stripes close to the left side of the stage, and Tiana and her friends jumping as they cheered, and waving their lightsicks in time to their cheers.

So come on! Let's get loose!
    Don't hold back
    'Cause ain't no use!
    Ash sang again.
    Hard to keep your feet on the ground,
    'Cause when we like to party,
    We only want to get down!

Oh, what a feeling,
    Oh, what a feeling,

Oh, what a feeling,
    Oh, what a feeling,

May, meanwhile just smiled, as she looked out on the sea of red lights--just seeing this many happy people had made it worth all the long hours of practicing.

Misty playing a relaxed melody on the piano and Ash starting a relaxed melody on the concert flute prompted May to wave her hand back and forth in time to the low key beat. Dawn joined in some moments later, and the crowd followed suit--the relaxing beat was enough to calm the crowd after the raucous opening.

When the song ended, Ash took a sweeping bow for the crowd. "Thank you! We are The Red Masters--Kanto's hottest little jam band."

"I don't know about THE hottest, but we're up there." Brock deadpanned from the drum set, making the crowd laugh. May grinned as Ash introduced the band members one by one--no matter how many times Brock replied with the snide comment, it always got a response from the crowd.

She then felt the spotlight on her. "And also joining me on rhythm guitar and backup vocals, Petalburg's own May!" Ash announced, making a grand gesture to her. She smiled and acknowledged the crowd's enthusiastic applause with a nod.

Brock saying "That's everyone..." alerted her that the introductions were complete. After she had her electric guitar, she started a light rhythm as Ash's flute and Crystal's trumpet started a rhythm-driven tune before the piano joined the musical conversation. She had written the song after being inspired by the deep blue night sky, and after Max had commented that the sky looked like a sapphire, the song was christened "Sapphire Sky". Sometimes when they played the song, Ash would play trumpet and the flute part would be filled in by the piano. The crowd loved it when Ash's trumpet, an exotic flute, or his own fiddle made an appearance; but for May, she enjoyed seeing just how musically versatile Ash could be.

The drums and the piano playing a Latin beat spurred the crowd to clap, but May took it one step further as the saxophone joined in--she lifted her hand in the air in time to the clapping, spurring the lightsticks to follow her hand.

She smiled as she saw Norman start a conga line. Never knew Dad liked this song--maybe we should play "Lilycove Lights" more often!

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Finally caught up! :D It's so cool to see so many other characters in the band! How did you decide on which instruments to give everyone? Wally seems nice too and I love their new Ralts! Link and Zelda... cute! They seem like they have fun personalities.
    GCEA

Senior Moderator

I mainly picked who played what based on their personalities, although sometimes it's a reference to the games themselves or a region's origin

Senior Moderator

Interlude: Live From Petalburg (part 2)

"Wow! What a crowd!" Crystal giggled as she led the way backstage.

"I'd say 'Dancing on the Ceiling' is a keeper." Misty agreed.

"But I'm sure Wally's happy right now." May smiled. "Since we're going to play 'Room to Move' to start our second set."

"I'm surprised our cover of "On Broadway" went as long as it did..." Dawn noted as she settled in a lounge chair and took a long drink of water.

"Lets see, Ash showing off his pipes--and I don't mean flutes." Kamon grinned. "Long instrumental break, and an epic drum solo for good measure..."

"Well playing all of that was hard work." Brock replied as he flexed his lightly throbbing arms. "So I'm gonna relax for a minute or two." With that, he departed for the lounge's refrigerator.

May arrived in the lounge a few moments later. "I'm glad everyone's enjoying the show so far..."

"Me too--although my favorite parts of that set were the rock version of 'The Fletching Feather' and that nice harmonica and guitar duet you and Ash played." Dawn replied.

"It just started as a nice progression, then Ash started playing "Yesterday" over it, so we had to play the whole thing." May explained. "When we finished, I thought it sounded nice, and Ash agreed, so we wrote it down."

"Having traveled with Ash myself, and seeing you onstage both here and in the contest hall, you have a desire to excel in common." Dawn began. "If you're gonna return to the battle arena, and take on the Pokemon League, you're going to need that desire and that creativity you have when you write songs."

"Wait...what does battling have to do with writing songs?" May wondered, confused.

"In the arena, going with the flow is critical if you want to win." Ash explained. "Something bad happens, you go with it. Pounding away with raw power not working? Look for your opponent's weak point."

"Know thy type chart too." Brock added. "If you don't have a copy, get one--then study it until you know it like the back of your hand."

"Yeah, don't do what I did and use a bug against a bird." Ash smiled, grinning at Misty, who just giggled at the memory.

"Likewise, don't pit a dragon against a fairy." Serena cautioned. "You're eventually going to get a Gardevoir, so if any high and mighty dragon tamer tries to bulldoze you, put Zelda in."

"Now, I wouldn't say Lance is high and mighty..." Ash protested, making everyone laugh.

Serena blushed. "Okay, Lance is one of the cool dragon tamers."

"Maybe I should tell you how he helped us on our first journey after the show." May offered.

The roar of the crowd got her attention. "Showtime..." Brock mused.

May got up from the chair and followed her bandmates back onstage. Thanks, guys...now I feel like I can take on the League anywhere!

She took her acoustic guitar and closed her eyes for a moment. Wally...this song's for you!

With that, she started the song's familiar introduction, making the crowd roar and the lightsticks wave as the stage came back to life.

I know it seems like I'm a million miles away.... Dawn sang.
    Sometimes you feel like you don't even know me...

But in this world the pressure's building everyday... Ash echoed.
    I need time to work things out, oh baby...

It's not that I don't love you, Dawn sang.

Oh no! Ash replied.
    It's just that I, I've got to have,

Room to move! everyone sang.

That's all I need,
    That's all I ask for, room to breathe....
    Ash sang.

Room to move! everyone sang.

That's all I need,
    That's all I ask for,
    Dawn sang.

Give it to me, room to move! May and Serena sang.

Everybody needs, Ash sang.

Room to move! everyone else echoed. The crowd agreed with the enthusiastic song, and a million points of red light lit up the night....

Senior Moderator

Episode 6: Friendship Takes Flight

After bidding her bandmates goodbye the next morning, May led the way out of Petalburg, with Max walking beside her, and Ash and Brock not far behind. Max was still on a high from the previous night. "You guys played very well last night!"

"I know--I could see your lightstick standing out above all the others." May smiled.

"Enthusiasm like that is what keeps the band going." Brock explained. "If the fans are happy, that makes us want to write more music and play it."

I'm sure the drummer gets the best view of all those lightsticks. Zelda smiled.

Brock chuckled."You have not lived until you've seen a few thousand lightsticks bouncing in time to 'The Pyroar Sleeps Tonight'."

[Oh come on, Ash was having the most fun singing up there!] Starshine protested before singing Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-di-di-di-di-lee-um-bumba-way..., and swaying in time to a beat only she seemed to hear, albeit being flat and off key.

Everyone laughed at Starshine's impromptu song. "Oh, Starshine...I'll teach you how to really hit the high notes sometime." Ash assured her as the group rounded the corner past a log cabin overlooking a beach. In addition to children running about with inner tubes, a boy and his Taillow were also present, setting out a picnic lunch.

"Good to see old Mr Briney's still sailing." Brock grinned.

"And Peeko the Wonder Wingull." May agreed.

[Hey, Ash...] Pikachu whispered. [Can we go check out that beach? I wanna go see if it's good surfing or not.]

"Sure...I could use a break from walking." Ash replied, before motioning for everyone to follow him down to the beach.

The boy, meanwhile, grimaced as the group arrived. "Great--I packed too much food, Sora..."

[What about these travelers?] the boy's Taillow offered, gesturing to the group with a wing.

"We'd love to join you for lunch." May replied.

The boy smiled. "Name's Billy--usually, my mom and dad come with us when we come here, but today Mom thought I was old enough to come alone--just Sora and me. But I packed too much for one person and a Taillow to eat..."

His eyes widened when he saw Brock's guitar case. "...and maybe after we have lunch, I can teach you guys a game I made up in return for a sing along."

"You got it." Ash replied as the group settled in.....

Some hours (and songs) later...

"Okay..." Billy explained as he gave the group a piece of paper with a long squiggly line on it and a pencil. "I call this game 'Ready for the Trace'--the object of the game is to trace the long squiggly line I have on the paper as best as you can. There's no time limit, but I have a prize for the one that traces the best."

The beach was quiet, save for the waves, children playing in the distance, and the skritching as the group traced their lines. After a few tense moments, Ash set down his pencil. "Done!"

Sora flew over and inspected Ash's work. [Were you afraid you were being timed?] she asked, showing Ash his zig-zaggy line that constantly went outside the lines.

Ash sweatdropped. "Okay, I admit I'm spooked about time limits."

Next, Sora inspected Max's line. [This looks a little better, but still goes outside the lines...]

"In my defense, the tables on the beach are a bit wobbly..." Max explained.

Sora went on to inspect Brock's line. [This one looks cleaner than the other two...]

"Well, since there was no time limit, I just focused on accuracy." Brock explained.

[Now for the girl...] Sora then inspected May's line. [This one's clean...and accurate too! I'd say she wins!]

Billy walked over with a bag full of care supplies. "As thanks for spending the day with me and Sora, and tracing the best line, I'd like to give you some supplies for your journey."

"Thanks." May replied as she accepted the package. "I had fun too!"

"Come play with us again sometime!" Billy called as he waved goodbye.

Ash grinned. "I love how close Billy and Sora are...almost like me and Pikachu."

"According to the DexNav, we're coming up on Petalburg Woods, and Taillows live nearby the woods, and in the woods proper." Max explained, heaving a stray rock in the path into the grass.

An angry squawk got his attention, and an angry Taillow fluttered in Max's direction. "Uh oh..."

"Get behind the rock!" May called to Max before stepping before the screeching Taillow. "Zelda...can you try to calm this Taillow down?"

Of course... Zelda replied telepathically before singing Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... creating a glowing sound wave that battered the Taillow.

Ash gasped as Zelda warped away from a Gust attack. "How...how did your Ralts know my Heart Song for Mega Evolution?"

"What you saw was a Fairy type attack called Disarming Voice." Brock explained. "If a Ralts' owner is close to someone with a Heart Song, this attack mimics that person's Heart Song in the form of a sound wave, which batters the target. Since it is only a mimic of a Heart Song, it can't induce Mega Evolution."

"Since Ash and May are close friends, it makes sense that Zelda mimic Ash's Heart Song." Max agreed as Zelda used Double Team to distract the Taillow.

Zelda, meanwhile, looked back at May as the Taillow decided which of the eight Ralts to attack. Should I use Disarming Voice again?

"I'm not sure--that hit the Taillow pretty hard, and I would like to catch it." May replied. "So try something like Confusion."

Got it. Zelda replied as the Taillow dove at the fifth Ralts...only to fly through thin air! A ball of magenta energy impacted next, sending the Taillow fluttering to the ground. May took that opportunity to heave a Poke Ball....

One...

Two...

Three....

Max smiled as the center of the Poke Ball dimmed. "Nice catch...maybe in the morning I can tell it sorry for hitting it with a rock."

"That, and decide on a name for it as well." May agreed as she watched the sun sink below the treetops of Petalburg Woods....

TO BE CONTINUED...

Senior Moderator

Episode 7: A Storm in the Forest

As the sun rose on the group's camp the next morning, May noticed the Poke Ball containing the Taillow she had caught. Is it still mad at me for capturing it, or Max for throwing that rock at it?

She sighed. Only one way to find out! "Come on out!" she called as she heaved the Poke Ball skyward.

The Taillow materialized a few moments later. [What...you're not the one that bonked me with that rock....You look too nice to do that.]

"Actually, it's my little brother that owes you an apology." May assured the tiny blue and white bird with red accents, motioning for Max to come closer.

"Um, I'm sorry I hit you with that rock, Mr. Taillow..." Max stammered.

[I'm a Miss, not a Mr., little guy.] the Taillow sternly chirped.

"Um, I mean, Miss Taillow." Max corrected himself. "I didn't mean to hit you."

The Taillow studied Max for a moment, then replied. [Okay, apology accepted--but next time be more careful where you throw a rock.]

"Got it." Max nodded.

May smiled as the Taillow fluttered onto her shoulder. "You look so cute flitting around like that....I'll call you Flit."

[Flit, huh? Has a ring to it.] the Taillow mused. [Who else is with you?]

"Well..." May paused to let out the rest of her team. "Everyone, this is Flit."

[Hi!] Starshine smiled.

[Hello.] Niji replied.

A pleasure to meet you, Flit. Zelda telepathically replied.

[Hi, Flit!] Pikachu smiled as he bounded on Ash's shoulder. [Nice to meet you.]

[The pleasure's all mine.] Flit replied before admiring Ash's hat. [Nice hat, by the way.]

"Thanks." Ash grinned as he followed Brock onto the road. "Today we're hoping to make it through Petalburg Woods and then to Rustboro City, barring any unforeseen emergencies."

[Sounds fun!] Flit chirped. [I hear the premiere place for young humans to study is there.]

Ash was about to say more when a boy in a fine gray suit angrily eyed the group. "Pfft....another group of travelers on a quest for glory...."

"Wait a minute!" Ash protested. "Going to the Pokemon League is more than riches and glory! It's a chance to build friendships with people and Pokemon!"

"Not to mention seeing all the world has to offer!" Max agreed.

"So?" the boy replied. "I have all the money I need, and so need no more honor and glory.

"But life is more than money!" May cried.

"Hey..." Brock stepped between May and the boy. "May, I have a better idea to convince..." It dawned on him he had not asked the rich boy his name.

"Winston, please." the boy replied.

"I have a better idea to explain to Winston that life is more than material wealth than a shouting match." Brock assured May.

With that, he started a story. "Once upon a time, Wartortle was taking a long walk, just following where the road led her. When she started out from home, she was in high spirits, but after some time, she began to move more slowly, and then more slowly still. By the time she reached any form of civilization, she was not only tired, but starving too."

Even Winston laughs as Brock clutches his stomach in feigned hunger. "When she saw the rooftops in the distance, she knew where she was. This was the village where her old friend Ekans lived." he explains. "They knew each other well, and they had at one time been friends."

"I'll just stop and see my old friend," he muses in a mimic of Misty for Wartortle. "He'll surely give me something to eat."

"No matter how many times he does someone's voice, I'm amazed at how accurate it is." Max whispered to May. May just smiled.

"And so Wartortle made her way to Ekans' house. Brock continues as himself. "When Ekans saw his old friend, he greeted her warmly."

"Come right in, sit inside where it is cool," he smiles in a mimic of Kamon for Ekans.

He adds as himself "Naturally Wartortle was grateful for the invitation. Once inside, Wartortle smelled some familiar scents--fish frying, and Berries, and she could've sworn she smelled vegetable soup too. She sniffed the air with anticipation. Surely her friend would share a meal, and sure enough, a moment later, Ekans said..."

"Let us eat together." he announces as Ekans, making a grand gesture to an imagined table.

"I'll go wash my feet in the stream outside," he assures an imagined person as Wartortle.

As himself, he narrates "This she did, and when she returned, dinner was on the table. Now she could see the steaming bowl of fried rice, the platter of fried fish. In fact, Ekans had coiled his body around the feast."

"Come," he smiles as Ekans. "Let us eat."

"I'd love to," he replies as Wartortle, "but why are you coiled around the plates? I can't reach anything with you in the way."

"Ah," he grins as Ekans, "this is the way of us Ekans. When we eat, we curl ourselves around our food to protect it from predators."

Some applause goes up at Brock's skill at performing both ends of the conversation. "With that, he began to eat with great gusto, but Wartortle could not reach over her friend's body." Brock continues at himself, trying to grab at imaged food as he speaks. "She tried, and tried, and tried again, but with that enormous coil in her way, she could not reach even a breadcrumb to eat. Within a few minutes, all the food was gone, and Ekans was nearly the size of an Arbok." He makes a huge form in the air for emphasis.

Giggles go up as the children imagine a fat Ekans. "How good it is to eat with a friend," Brock sighs happily as Ekans.

As himself, he explains "Now Wartortle was even hungrier than before. She was also hurt, angry, and a little confused. Why had her friend guarded the meal that way? What could this have meant? Was Ekans toying with her? Was Ekans not truly a friend? After considering all her options, Wartortle decided to leave."

Then, he freezes, as if remembering something. "But then an idea occurred to her."

"Ekans," he asks as Wartortle. "you were so kind to me. Why don't you come to my house for dinner on the first day of the autumn festival? There'll be plenty to eat!"

"I'd love to come!" he gasps as Ekans.

He grins for a moment, savoring the enthralled looks on his friends' faces before continuing "So on the first day of the autumn festival, Wartortle made onion soup, and set out platters of meat and Berries, and while everything was cooking, Wartortle slipped out into the fields and wove a long, thick tail of grass, which she attached to herself with gum from a nearby gum tree. Soon there was a knock on the door..." He knocks on a tree trunk for effect. "and there stood Ekans."

"Welcome!" he smiles as Wartortle. "You have come such a long way, you must be hungry."

"I am indeed," he replies as Ekans. "Let me go wash up at the spring,"

He narrates as himself "...and off he went to wash. When he returned to the house, he saw that Wartortle was already eating, and she had coiled her long, thick grass tail around the plates and bowls and platters. Ekans tried to reach for a Berry..." Max giggles as Brock tries to reach for something. "...but he could not reach over that tail. Ekans tried with all his might to reach over or under or around that tail, but he could not. After a while he was begging for food."

"I'm starving, Wartortle," he pleads as Ekans. "I wonder how is it that your tail used to be so short, but now it is so very long? Why is it your tail guards your food?"

"Ah," he grins as Wartortle. "That's an interesting question, my friend. And the answer is simple. One person learns from another."

Finally, something dawns on Brock. "I was not a good host," he sighs as Ekans.

"And I have learned from you," he agrees as Wartortle.

He concludes as himself. "And so it was. That year Ekans did not enjoy the autumn festival that much, but he did learn a lesson."

"Moral of the story: Don't hoard all you have for yourself--it's better to share what you have with everyone." Ash explained.

Winston contemplated what the travelers before him had said. "Your tale is intriguing....I'll have to look into charitable causes." With that, he walked off, musing to himself as the group continued into the woods.

[That was a nice little story.] Flit smiled at Brock. [Where'd you learn it from? Out of a book?]

"Nope--I learned it from a friend of mine at home in Pewter City." Brock replied, chuckling at the Pikachus romping through the brush and various bug Pokemon crawling on the trees. "It's called 'Ekans' Lesson'."

"Fascinating--I don't think I've heard that Kanto tale before." said a voice.

Ash whirled around to find a scientist following them. "Who are you?"

"Calm down, I'm not a bad guy, I'm just a humble researcher." the scientist assured Ash. "Name's Andy--when I'm not developing apps and gadgets for Devon, one of my research interests is folktales across regions."

"You could make an app of Houen tales for BookNav." Max suggested.

"I'll pass that along to my colleagues in R and D." Andy smiled. "I was on my way back after meeting with a colleague in Petalburg that's developing the next version of the DexNav app. Just a few bug fixes. The papers I have describe our fixes, and the code to implement them."

"Wow." May gasped.

[Hate to interrupt the conversation, but I think I see trouble up ahead.] Flit reported, pointing out a dour looking boy in a familiar blue and white striped outfit.

Ash balked at the black bandanna with the stylized A the boy wore. "No way!!! Team Aqua is back???"

"Back? More like we never left." the boy sneered as he approached the group. "I was gonna ambush you guys and take smart guy's papers, but you had to dawdle....got tired of waiting, so here I am!"

"No, please!" Andy pleaded as the Aqua grunt tried again and again to snatch his research. "This is important!"

"All the more reason Team Aqua should have it!" the grunt retorted.

"Leave him alone!" May screeched, getting the grunt's attention.

"Aren't you brave? I'll show you what happens if you take on Team Aqua!" the grunt retorted, summoning a Poochyena.

[Oh-hoo-hoo, I'm so scared.] Flit sarcastically replied. [Put me in--I'll show that black dog who's boss!]

"Go get'em, Flit!" Ash called as Flit dove into the Poochyena, knocking it to the ground.

"Claw coming on the left!" May called. Flit veered out of the way of the Poochyena's claw, then swooped in to peek at it, making the Poochyena run back by its owner's side in fear.

The Aqua grunt grimaced. "You have some nerve messing with Team Aqua!" he snapped as he ran into the brush with his Poochyena.

"Just be thankful we didn't show you our secret!" Ash called after the fleeing grunt.

"Secret?" Andy was intrigued.

"Both Brock and me have a Mega Ring, meaning we can induce Mega Evolution." Ash explained has he proudly showed off his ring. "Since May's Heart Song hasn't awakened yet, we only step in if she really needs help."

"I see....it was said that Groudon and Kyorge could do something similar to Mega Evolution called Primal Reversion." Andy mused. "But Primal Reversion is not fully understood yet, so that's all I know."

Then a thought came to him. "As thanks for saving me, I'll tell you about a worrying rumor I heard in the office...supposedly, Team Aqua is after something in Rustboro--exactly what, I don't know."

"We'll keep an eye out for them." Brock assured Andy.

May, meanwhile, felt sick--if Team Aqua was active, then was Team Magma active again too?

TO BE CONTINUED...

Senior Moderator

Episode 8: Hearts on Rainbow Wings

Meanwhile, in another part of the forest...

"Did you get the scientist's research?" another Aqua grunt asked.

"Nope--I tried, but the travelers with me gave Poochyena a beatdown." the first grunt grumbled. "And to add insult to injury, some boy with a hat called after me 'Be thankful we didn't show you our secret!'

"I'd hate to know what that is myself..." a third grunt shuddered.

"It doesn't matter now...if we can't get one person's research, we can sneak into Devon Co. and get a whole lot of research!" the second grunt grinned. "The more we can learn about expanding the sea, the better!"

"But what about Hat-boy, Birdie-girl, Genius, and Squinty-eyes?" the first grunt asked. "They took down Poochyena..."

"One Poochyena is cake to a skilled trainer....but they can't possibly take on a whole bunch of us at once!" the second grunt assured her comrade. "Come on...the boss is waiting for us!"

On Route 104....

After telling Andy goodbye, the group emerged from Petalburg Woods into the sunshine. [I am so glad to be out of those spooky woods!] Starshine began.

[I'm still scared there's more of those Team Aqua guys waiting to ambush us....] Niji shuddered.

"If we find any more of Team Aqua, we'll teach them a lesson, okay?" May assured Niji before a familiar building came into view. "Look! The Pretty Petal Flower Shop!"

"Good to see Nicole, Rita, and Natalie are doing well." Brock grinned as he watched three Beautiflies flit among the flowers in the massive gardens surrounding the building.

Just then, he noticed a familiar red haired girl emerge from the building with a Wailmer pail. There's Natalie... He then proceed to mimic a Taillow call to get her attention.

Natalie's eyes widened when she saw who was approaching. "Brock! You came back!" she gasped as she set aside her Wailmer pail and ran to hug Brock. "Is Lotad doing okay?"

"Not just that--he's now a Ludicolo." Brock replied. "I still have the copy of 'The Breeder's Guide to the Pokemon of Houen' you gave me...although I bought the updated version with my own money.

Just then, Natalie noticed Brock's Mega Ring. "What's that?"

"Go get your sisters and I'll show you." Brock replied.

"Okay!" Natalie replied before hurrying back in the house.

"Are you sure Swampert will mind being induced just because?" Ash wondered as Brock let out Swampert. "Did Korrina tell you not to induce a Pokemon for a selfish reason?"

[I find it an honor to become Mega Swampert, so Brock can induce me as many times as he wants.] Swampert assured Ash.

Ash sighed. When in Orre... and released Sceptile.

[What's the matter? Is May in danger?] Sceptile asked.

"No, there's no danger--Brock just wants to demonstrate Mega Evolution." Ash explained.

[Okay...] Sceptile sighed. [So long as you're not inducing me for the sake of showing off, you can induce me.]

Ash doesn't look the type to show off...this is merely an educational demonstration, and nothing more. Zelda assured Sceptile.

[If you say so...] Sceptile grumbled, as Natalite returned with a navy haired girl and a dull green haired girl.

"So Mr. Lovebird is back, I hear." Rita grinned, savoring the memory of the group's previous meeting.

Brock winced at Rita's comment. I don't know what I was thinking when I saw them before, but good thing training in the Tower of Mastery has mostly tamed the ol' crazy romantic mode.

Once the three sisters were present, he began. "Okay...what I have here..." He showed his audience his Mega Ring. "...is what's known as a Mega Ring. The power contained in the jewel, when called on, can induce some Pokemon to evolve even farther, albeit temporarily."

"Fascinating...so how do you induce this power?" Nicole asked.

"Deep within the hearts of every trainer lies what is known as a Heart Song." Brock explained. "This special song may only be a few words long--so it's easy for the trainer to remember--but it conveys the trainer's emotions to the Pokemon...and when the emotions of human and Pokemon combine, that causes Mega Evolution."

"Wow..." Rita gasped.

"No two trainers will sing the exact same song...the only exceptions are if the song's original owner passes on, their Mega Ring is shattered, or it is passed down through families." Brock explains. "Some people never choose to sing their Heart Song."

He took a few steps back. "So here's how it's done..."

With that, he held his Mega Ring skyward. Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo...

The three sisters watched in amazement as Swampert was engulfed in a green light, emerging as Mega Swampert seconds later.

Ash was next. Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul....

May stifled a giggle at the starry eyed Natalie. That look on her face--it makes me wish I could induce someone.

Nicole, meanwhile, led the applause as Mega Swampert and Mega Sceptile returned to normal. "As thanks for that amazing demonstration, now it's my turn to show you something cool." she showed the group a red and blue bell-like berry.

Ash looked at the berry quizzically. "What's so great about a berry?"

"You know that every type of Pokemon has a berry that will protect against that type if fed to or held by Pokemon, right?" Nicole explained. "For a while, the Fairy type didn't have a Berry because it was so new...until some farmers in Kalos brought over some Roseli plants--and this is the Roseli Berry."

"So now the Fairy type has its own Berry!" Max exclaimed.

Nicole smiled. "That's right."

Ash, meanwhile, was giggling as the three Beautiflies circled around him. "I think they like me!"

Natalie pointed out a Beautifly trying to swipe Ash's cap. "That one's mine--her name is Farfalla."

"That one looking at the birds is mine, Brezza." Nicole explained as the second Beautifly abandoned Ash to look at a Taillow.

"And that one by the Nomel trees is mine, Mariposa." Rita smiled as the third Beautifly fluttered over to a Nomel tree.

"Say...tell that adventure tale about the three Nomel Berries." Max whispered to Brock.

Nicole happened to overhear Max's request. "Oh, I love hearing stories about Berries, be they Leppas, Pechas, Aspears, or any type in between!"

"Well, here's one about how three Nomel Berries helped a prince win a bride." Brock grinned before motioning for everyone to gather around him in the field. "It might be a little long, though..."

"The longer and more magic filled, the better--Natalie loves that kind of stuff." Rita assured Brock.

Once all was quiet, Brock began. "There was once an old king who had an only son--we'll call him Brian. One day, he summoned Prince Brian before him, and said to him..."

"My son, you see that I am old, and before long I will close my eyes for the last time." he explains in a gentle older voice for the king. "I urge you to take a bride, my son! Let me bless you before I join Arceus in heaven."

As himself, he continued "Prince Brian said nothing, but thought about his father's request; he would gladly have fulfilled his father's wish, but there was no lady he knew of that he truly loved. One day he was sitting in the garden, considering what to do, when all of a sudden, the holy Delphox Kitsune, in disguise as an old woman, appeared before him."

"Go to the glass hill, pick three Nomel Berries, and you will have a wife your heart will love forever." May jumped in the role of Kitsune.

"With that, she disappeared as quickly as she appeared." Brock went on. "Prince Brian was inspired by this bit of holy advice, and vowed, come what may, to seek the glass hill and pick three Nomel Berries. He told his father what he wished to do, and his father gave him a Ponyta, weapons, armor, and his blessing."

"So, where was the glass hill?" Nicole wondered

"Through rolling plains, deep forests, green valleys, and high mountains, went our hero on his quest." Brock explained. "For a very long time there was nothing to be seen and nothing to be heard of the glass hill and its Nomel Berries. One night, tired from his long journey, he threw himself down under a Meli tree. As he laid, his father's sword, which he wore at his side, clanged against the ground, and a dozen Murkrows took flight above the lofty tree.

"Well! Until now I haven't seen a living creature for quite some time." Ash jumps in the role of Prince Brian. "I will go in the direction the Murkrows have flown--maybe some hope will reveal itself to me."

"He went on for three days and three nights, until he spotted a lofty castle in the distance." Brock narrated.

"Thank Arceus! Maybe there are people here!" Ash cried as Prince Brian.

"The castle was made of pure gold; and in front of it was the firebird Moltres, perched on a long golden rod." Brock narrated.

May decided to jump into Moltres' role. "Oh! Where have you come from? Here there is neither bird nor bug to be seen, much less a human being."

"I have come to you for advice about the glass hill and three Nomel Berries." Ash explained as Prince Brian.

"There's nothing here about the glass hill; but go to my brother Zapdos, who lives in a silver castle, maybe he'll be able to tell you something." May replies as Moltres.

"Prince Brian thanked Moltres, and went as fast as his feet could go, until he spotted another castle." Brock narrated. He was still a good ways off from the castle, and its walls glistened in his eyes, for the castle was made of pure silver. In front of the castle was the thunderbird Zapdos, perched on a long silver rod."

"Hello, young traveler!" Max called in the role of Zapdos. "How is it that you have come here? Here there is neither bird nor bug, much less a human being!"

"I come with blessings from your sister Moltres." Ash replied as Prince Brian.

"Well, if you bring greetings from the golden castle, then come into the parlor, my son, and tell me what you seek." Max offered.

"For a long time, I've been seeking the glass hill and three Nomel Berries, and cannot find them; now I've come to ask if you know anything about them." Ash explained in character.

"I've heard about it, but I don't know how to direct you there." Max sighed as Zapdos. Try visiting my sister Articuno, who lives in a crystal castle--maybe she can help you."

"So Prince Brian thanked Zapdos, and went on his way." Brock went on. Three days passed, and just as he came out of the valley onto a small hill, he saw a beautiful and wide meadow, and in the middle of the meadow stood a crystal castle, glittering like the stars; Before the gate of the castle was the ice bird Articuno, perched on a crystal rod."

"Oh! What brings you here?" May asks, now in the role of Articuno. "Here there is neither bird nor bug to be seen, much less a human being!"

"I come with blessings from your brother Zapdos, and your sister Moltres." Ash explained as Prince Brian.

"Well, if you bring greetings from the silver castle, come into the parlor and tell me what has brought you here." May offered.

"I have long been wandering in these mountains, and haven't been able to find out where the glass hill and its Nomel Berries are." Ash explained in character. "I was directed to you, in hopes you might be able to give me information."

"Where is the glass hill?" May asks before pointing out a hill in the distance. "Do you see that clear hill over there? That is the glass hill; on the top of the hill stand many Berry tree, and on one particular tree hang three Nomel Berries, whose scent spreads seven miles around. When you reach the top of the glass hill, kneel under the tree, and hold out your hands. If the Nomel Berries are destined for you, they will fall off into your hands by themselves. But, if they are not meant for you, you will not pick them, whatever you do. When you are on your way home, and are hungry or thirsty, cut one of the Nomel Berries in half, and eat and drink your fill. Now go, and Arceus be with you!"

"Prince Brian thanked Articuno, and traveled over hill and over dale, and never stopped until he was beneath the glass hill." Brock went on. "There he stopped, as if frozen solid. The hill was high and smooth; there wasn't a single crack in it. On top spread the branches of wondrous trees, and on one particular tree swung three Nomel Berries, whose scent was so powerful that Prince Brian almost fainted."

"Must've been some good berries." Rita grinned.

"He began to climb up the smooth glass; but he had hardly gone a few inches when his foot slipped, and he slid down the hill all the way down to the bottom." Brock continued. "But when he tried again, steps formed in the glass. He climbed higher and higher till he reached the summit of the glass hill. Here he knelt down under the tree and held out his hands."

He smiled, enthralled by the three sisters' smiling faces. "Sure enough, the three beautiful Nomel Berries flew down into the palms of his hands."

"YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!: Natalie cheered.

"He started off for home right then." Brock continued. "After three months, and using two of the three berries, he came to his homeland. He didn't know how he got there, but he found himself in his father's castle. Tears of joy formed in his old father's eyes."

As the king again, he calls "Welcome home, my son! A hundred times welcome!"

Ash pantomimes talking as he continues as himself "Prince Brian told his father and the royal court all that had happened on his adventure. The next day, a grand ball was prepared--lords and ladies were invited from all across the world; and beautiful dresses, embroidered with diamonds and studded with pearls were made. The lords and ladies assembled, took their seats at the tables, and waited expectantly to see what would happen. Then Prince Brian took out the last Nomel Berry, cut it in half, and a beautiful lady appeared in a flash of light. Prince Brian presented the beautiful dresses to her. The lady, whose name was Alyssa, put on the beautiful clothes, and everyone rejoiced at her extraordinary beauty and equally extraordinary heart. Before long they were engaged, and after that was a magnificent wedding."

He concluded "From that time on, nothing interfered with his happiness, be this the might of his enemies or the spite of wicked people. He lived with his beautiful wife in peace and love; he reigned prosperously, and is still reigning there today."

"Bravo!" Nicole led the applause.

"You sure know how to tell a good tale, there...' Rita agreed as she applauded.

"In fact, you deserve an Oran pie for that story!" Nicole went on before leading the way into the house....

TO BE CONTINUED...

Senior Moderator

Episode 9: A Jewel of a Show (part 1)

After saying goodbye to the sisters the next morning, May led the way down the road to Rustboro. "I wonder what Roxanne's been doing since our first journey?"

"Probably grading tests and homework in between giving out Stone Badges." Brock mused. "You have to admit, she is a skilled teacher who loves each and every one of her students."

"I wish I had a teacher like her..." Ash smiled, sighing nostalgically at a memory of him and Serena passing notes when the teacher wasn't looking.

He was snapped from his memories when the rooftops of Rustboro and many garlands of flowers came into view. "We're here!"

"Wow!" Max gasped when he noticed the flowers wound around the town entryway, on the lamposts, on people's houses, and even the fountain of Diancie in the town square.

[Oh my! I've never seen so many flowers here!] Niji cried before glowing white.

May gasped as a Beautifly appeared before her some seconds later. "Niji...you've become a Beautifly!"

"How do those wings feel?" Ash asked as Niji flitted her new wings a few times.

[Wonderful! I've always wanted to take flight!] Niji giggled as she hovered at Ash's feet.

Max, meanwhile, noticed a crowd of people gathering at the north end of the square. "Wonder what's going on to attract a crowd?"

"Okay Niji, for your first real flight..." May began. "Go see what's going on at the north end!"

[Got it!] Niji replied before flying off.

She returned a few moments later. [There's a stage up there at the north part of the square--apparently the trainer's school is putting on their annual play for the spring festival. What's more, Roxanne is there in the audience.]

"A play?" Ash was intrigued. "Too bad we don't have any tickets."

[Oh no, no, no, this one is free to all.] Niji assured Ash. [No tickets needed.]

"Come on! Let's go see what kind of play it is!" With that, Max led the way into the crowd.

"Max, wait!" May called as she wound through the crowds of people, hoping all the while that Max would not be lost in the crowd.

"She did not, however, expect Brendan in the crowd. "Oh!"

"Surprised?" Brendan giggled. "You're in for a treat--the drama department at the trainer's school consistently wins awards and prizes for their acting. Dad told me to check it out, so here I am--makes me wonder what story they're doing this year."

"Well, we're looking for Max--he just ran off into the crowd." May explained.

"Don't worry, he's just over there visiting with Roxanne." Brendan assured May. "Sitting by her would give you guys a good seat, by the way."

"Thanks for the tip!" May called back before rejoining Max and Roxanne near the front overlooking the stage.

Roxanne looked over just as the group arrived. "Welcome back, everyone...it seems like only yesterday you earned a Stone Badge, Ash..."

"What's even more amazing is that now, May wants to try." Ash explained. "Now that she's learned a bit and gotten better as a coordinator, she wants to try battling again."

"I see." Roxanne replied.

"What can you tell us about the play we're going to see?" Brock asked as he sat down next to May.

"It's only 'Sleeping Beauty' Brock--a blend of the Disney version and the original ballet--with some of the children's original touches." Roxanne explains before the lights flash the five minute warning.

Ash swallows hard. "I could never make it past ten minutes of the Disney version..."

"You have to hand it to Maleficent, though--she sure knows how to make an entrance!" Brock grins as seven girls in costume as fairies arrive on the set of a forest grotto.

"King Altan has commanded us to appear at the palace today..." the red fairy explains to the others.

"But, why?" the yellow fairy asks.

"The messenger said we were to be here at noon." the orange fairy explains as the red fairy performs a headcount.

"Everyone's here...that's good." the red fairy smiles.

"Here's hoping that the evil Duin doesn't come here...she brings nothing but bad luck!" the green fairy comments to some giggles.

"You know Duin--she probably believes King Altan had to invite her too." the blue fairy cautions.

"For all I know, Duin could bring disaster to the whole royal family--no, the entire realm!" the indigo fairy worries.

"That's why we're here--to watch over the royal family and protect them from beings like Duin." the blue fairy explains.

"Be careful what you wish for..." Max whispers over the fairies' banter. May smiles in agreement before focusing her attention on the stage....

TO BE CONTINUED...

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I love how you include stories within your stories. I love old fairy tales and it's really cool to read them reimagined as Pokemon stories!

I was also wondering what the translations are for Ash and Brock's heart songs?
    GCEA