Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Moderator

Thanks--there will be more Pokemonized folktales as the action permits.

The Heart Songs have no translation--they're just nice sounding gibberish

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Ah okay! I thought the Heart Songs might be some other language. They do sound nice though. :)
    GCEA

Senior Moderator

Tomorrow's episode will feature the gang sitting in on Roxanne's classroom, and the boys' advice to May before she takes on Roxanne

Senior Moderator

Episode 10: The Basics of Battling 101

The next day...

"The play was wonderful, Roxanne!" Max raved. "I'm still amazed how the kids pulled off a Salamence transformation."

"I would ask the drama teacher, but she would not be pleased revealing behind the scenes secrets." Roxanne smiled as she arrived in her classroom and started getting her lesson plan for the day in order. "I also want to thank you all, for volunteering to help me with my lesson on type matchups and Mega Evolution. They know almost all the types--we only have Fairy, Bug, and Psychic left to teach them."

"May's got two of those covered--a Ralts that knows Disarming Voice." Ash explained. "What's funny is that her Ralts uses my Heart Song as her Disarming Voice!"

"Interesting..." Roxanne smiled before turning business like. "First, I want you and Brock to explain and then demonstrate Mega Evolution, and then have May show off her Ralts against my Geodude to demonstrate the Fairy type."

"We'll do it!" Ash replied as the bell rang for classes to change.

---------

"...but what you may not know is that some Pokemon evolve even further, a process called Mega Evolution." Roxanne explained as she wrote the term on the chalkboard. "Does anyone know any Pokemon that can undergo Mega Evolution?"

"The Eon Dragons!" a boy announced.

"Yes, Latios and Latias are two examples...what else?" Roxanne asked as she scanned the room for raised hands.

"Altaria?" a girl guessed.

"That's another one." Roxanne nodded as she added Altaria to the list.

One by one, the children named different Pokemon capable of Mega Evolution. But when Roxanne checked her list some minutes later, she noticed three Pokemon in particular missing. "You've managed to come up with a sizable list, but there's still three Pokemon of Houen you haven't thought of yet...anyone want to guess what they are?"

"Our starters?" a girl hesitantly guessed.

"Yes! Sceptile, Blaziken, and Swampert can Mega Evolve as well." Roxanne explained as the boys released Swampert and Sceptile for the kids to see. "To let you see how this process works firsthand, I've asked my dear friend and fellow Rock Leader Brock of Pewter City and his companions to demonstrate it for us."

Brock couldn't resist taking a bow for the children as he led Swampert to the head of the class. "Thank you all..."

A wipe off map of the Kalos region near where he stood gave him an idea. "Far away in the Kalos region, at this point right here..." He paused to draw an arrow marking the Tower of Mastery's location on the map. "...is a place called the Tower of Mastery. Many people come there to brave its trials and earn a Mega Ring, which is one component of inducing Mega Evolution."

Some oohs and ahs wafted through the room as Ash and Brock showed off their Mega Rings. "The other thing you need is something called a Heart Song, a song deep within your heart that conveys your feelings to the Pokemon." Ash went on. "When your feelings and your Pokemon's feelings combine, that induces Mega Evolution."

"Kinda like a superhero transforming on TV?' a boy asked.

"Something like that, but a Pokemon can only remain in its Mega Evolved state for one battle." Brock cautioned. "In addition, no two people will have the same Heart Song--unless a Heart Song's owner dies, their Mega Ring is shattered, or that particular Heart Song is passed down in a family."

"Having said all of this, some people never choose to sing their Heart Song." Ash added. "So now that we have told you how Mega Evolution works, now Brock and I will demonstrate it."

With that, he held his Mega Ring skyward. Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

A red burst filled the room, making some of the children shield their eyes as Sceptile transformed. They cheered, however, when Mega Sceptile emerged.

Brock was next. Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo...

More awed gasps filled the air as Mega Swampert emerged. Roxanne then interjected "The Heart Song is also crucial to a Fairy type attack called Disarming Voice...who remembers how the Heart Song affects Disarming Voice?"

"If the Ralts that knows Disarming Voice knows someone with a Heart Song, the Ralts will mimic that person's Heart Song." a girl replied.

"Of course, this Heart Song is only a mimic, and so can't induce Mega Evolution." Ash cautioned.

Roxanne motioned for May to come closer. "May...will you show the class your Ralts?"

"Sure..." May then heaved a Poke Ball skyward. "Come on out, Zelda!"

You called? Zelda smiled as she materialized before the excited children.

"Geodude, let's go!" Roxanne also heaved a Poke Ball skyward, revealing a familiar rock shaped Pokemon with long arms.

[Do I have to play the punching bag again?] Geodude complained, making some of the children giggle.

"This is only for demonstration purposes...I'll give you a Potion afterward." Roxanne assured the antsy Geodude.

She then addressed May. "All right, May...tell Zelda to perform Disarming Voice."

"Okay...Zelda, use a low powered Disarming Voice." May instructed Zelda.

Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... Zelda sang, creating a glowing sound wave that even at low power, sent the Geodude flying backwards several inches into a trash can.

[Ow...even at low power, that packed a punch.] the Geodude commented as it emerged from the pile of paper wads and pencil shavings on the floor, to the children's giggles.

Even Roxanne was impressed. "If that was low powered, I can only imagine what full power looks like!"

TO BE CONTINUED...

Senior Moderator

Episode 11: Know Thy Enemy (part 1)

May woke up the next morning with her heart racing--today was the day she would take on Roxanne for a Stone Badge of her own.

I can't believe it--I'm going to get a real Gym Badge! she thought as she climbed from her bed inside the Rustboro Pokemon Center. Ash was beginning to wake up, Brock was taking a shower, and Max was getting dressed. For all intents and purposes, it was just another day inside the simply furnished guest room.

"Nervous?" Ash asked as he too climbed from his bed, allowing a group of Happinis to make it and Max's bed.

"What can you tell me about Roxanne's battle strategy, as someone who has faced her herself?" May asked.

"Well, as you learned yesterday, Roxanne uses the Rock type." Ash explained. "This means that any Water, Grass, or Ice type will be effective. Fighting types also help, as well."

"But Rock types also tend to be a ground type--so forget about using a Pikachu, unless you want to try triggering the emergency sprinklers." Brock added as he emerged from the bathroom, a deep blue towel wrapped around him. He flashed a knowing grin at Ash, then disappeared behind a screen to get dressed.

May nodded as well--Ash had once told her how he had faced Brock with a Pikachu and won because of the emergency sprinklers. "I know I am taking Niji, but would Zelda help as well?"

"I'm sure she could help--her Disarming Voice did pack a wallop against Roxanne's Geodude, remember?" Max reminded her.

May smiled. "Let's do this!"

In the Rustboro Gym...

"Welcome, May..." Roxanne smiled as May and the others arrived in the craggy and cavernous Gym. "Tell me--what spurred you to try for the Pokemon League after spending so long in the Contest arena?

"Well, I felt that now that I have taken my place as a great coordinator and learned about Pokemon and how their attacks work, I should try battling again." May explained.

"A noble goal, to be sure...I have no doubt Ash has taught you a lot." Roxanne replied. "My question for you is...do you have his drive and determination to succeed?" With that, she heaved a Poke Ball skyward, revealing her Geodude on the Ruby side of the arena.

[You again...I'm not holding anything back, and I'm not your punching bag anymore!] the Geodude growled.

[Well, let's see you make some colors in the sky!] Niji taunted back as she materialized on the Sapphire side of the arena.

[Take this, flitter-flutter!] With that,the Geodude grabbed some rocks, and started heaving them at Niji.

"Niji, watch out!" May gasped as she watched the rocks come flying.

She heaved a huge sigh of relief as Niji skillfully wove and dodged the rocks. [Relax, I've got Rocky here under control.] Niji assured May.

[Not for long...] the Geodude grinned as it picked up a huge rock and heaved it at Niji...

"Rock Tomb..." Ash gasped in horror as the huge rock landed on the Sapphire side with a THUD!

"Niji's likely down for the count with that...." Brock agreed.

May, meanwhile, was panicking at seeing the Beautifly struggle to crawl out from under the rock. "Niji! Niji, are you okay?"

[That's gonna hurt in the morning...] Niji groaned as she eased herself out from the rock. [I dunno if I can take another wallop like that.]

She wasn't sure if it was instinct, or the well of panic, fear and sadness welling up inside her at seeing Niji wounded, but May found herself yelling "Ash! Brock! Aiutare!"

"Nope, sorry...remember what we agreed on earlier?" Ash reminded her.

"You're on your own here--otherwise, that would be cheating." Brock added.

May sweatdropped when she remembered the terms for 'aiutare', but then gasped when she saw Niji glowing green and heard Roxanne's Geodude howling in pain as Niji absorbed its life energy.

"I get it! Niji's using Absorb to both heal herself and take out Roxanne's Geodude at the same time!" Max smiled, relieved that all was not lost for his sister.

"Makes sense--Absorb is a Grass type attack, after all." Brock agreed.

Once she had completely Absorbed the Geodude's energy, Niji flitted back to May's side. [See? I told you I had things under control.]

"I thought you were done for when that Rock Tomb squished you!" May smiled as she hugged Niji.

"I'm surprised your Beautifly survived that myself." Roxanne agreed. "It's like she wanted to win, no matter what."

She then turned business-like again. "But Geodude was just practice--now it's time for your real test!" With that, she heaved another Poke Ball to the floor, revealing a small rocky statue-like Pokemon. It yawned, and then shifted its position to look at Roxanne.

"I know I am on the north end of the room, but your opponent is to the south." Roxanne reminded the tiny statue-like being. The statue like Pokemon then gave an affirmative grunt, then turned to face May, who was shaking in fear.

"W-what is that?" May stammered.

"Psst..." Ash motioned for May to come closer, then showed her a picture of the Pokemon on his Pokedex:

Nosepass, the compass Pokemon. Its nose is a magnet. As a result, this Pokemon always keeps its face pointing north.

That would explain why it was facing Roxanne when she summoned it--she is on the north end! May thought before turning to Nji. "How bout it? You want to try facing this Nosepass?"

[I'll sit this one out--getting clobbered by one Rock Tomb is enough.] Niji replied.

Put me in, May--I still need to show Roxanne what my Disarming Voice is like at full power! Zelda telepathically suggested. There is no way Niji would survive a second Rock Tomb, and Starshine and Flit cannot help if I go down.

"Okay..." May recalled Niji and then heaved the Poke Ball containing Zelda skyward. "I'm counting on you, Zelda!"

TO BE CONTINUED...

Senior Moderator

Episode 12: Know Thy Enemy (part 2)

[How bout it, master? Should I try and clobber the Ralts?] the Nosepass asked.

"Go ahead...you don't need my permission to attack." Roxanne replied.

[Let's see if your foresight is as good as you think!] the Nosepass taunted before heaving a rock at Zelda. But Zelda calmly warped out of the way, making the rock land in a pile with a clatter.

Missed me. Zelda smirked. I knew exactly where that rock was going to land.

[So one rock was easy...] the Nosepass mused. [Now try to dodge more than one!] With that, it summoned hundreds more rocks, sending them all flying at Zelda at the same time.

"Zelda can't play 'keep away' forever..." Max noted as Zelda expertly warped away from every rock in her path.

"That's true--Rock Throw is easy to dodge for any Psychic Pokemon, but Rock Slide is a whole different story." Brock cautioned as he watched Zelda warping away, the many teleportations transforming her into a white blur as she dodged the rocks.

Back in the arena, Zelda heaved with exhaustion as she dodged the last rock. [Bet you didn't know I could do this!] the Nosepass jeered before unleashing a Spark at the exhausted Ralts.

Even Ash was surprised as Zelda warped away from the Spark. "I didn't know the Nosepass line could use Electric moves!"

"They can, in addition to Spark, Nosepass and its evolution Probopass can learn Discharge and Zap Cannon." Roxanne explained as her Nosepass blasted Zelda with a Thunder Wave.

"Zelda!" May gasped as she watched the sparks from the Thunder Wave criss cross Zelda's body. "You can't give up now!"

I...know... Zelda groaned as she tried to hover to May's side. Roxanne still needs to see my Disarming Voice at full power!

A whistle got May's attention before a Cheri Berry landed in her hands. She looked over at Brock, who was grinning back at her. His smile seemed to tell her Go on, take it.

"Zelda, I have something that will cure your paralysis." she called to Zelda, holding out the Cheri Berry. Hopefully her telekinesis is strong enough...

Zelda brought the small red berry over to her and scarfed it down. Ah...now I feel MUCH better!

She then faced the Nosepass. That was pretty clever...

Roxanne gasped in amazement as Zelda conjured a swirl of glowing rainbow leaves. ...but now it's MY turn to do something unexpected!

"H-how does your Ralts know Magical Leaf?" Roxanne stammered as her Nosepass was swept up in the glowing leaves, sending it flying into one of the rocky walls.

Oh, we Ralts know it naturally. Zelda telepathically replied. Fancy seeing another round?

[Uh n-no, that's okay...] the Nosepass stuttered as it tried to walk away. [Being hurled against the wall once is enough...]

Besides, I still have to show you something else! Zelda grinned.

May noticed the confident smirk on Zelda's face. "Zelda, use Disarming Voice! Full power!"

Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... The pale green sound waves caught the Nosepass off guard, and sent it flying into the wall a second time.

"That had to hurt..." Brock noted as the Nosepass slid out of the imprint it had made in the wall and landed back on its side of the arena with a THUD.

[I may be down, Miss Warp Star, but I'm not out yet!] With that, the Nosepass started charging a diamond shape of energy...

Brock gasped. "Power Gem!"

"Be careful, Zelda!" May called as the Power Gem grew larger and larger.

Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... Zelda sang again, the Disarming Voice slamming into the Power Gem and making it fizzle out.

"Now, Zelda!" May called as she noticed the Nosepass heaving with exhaustion.

Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... Zelda sang again, battering the Nosepass with soundwaves until it slumped to the floor, defeated.

"I did it..." May whispered before the reality of what she had just done finally hit her. "I did it!"

"So you did...I came at you with all I know, and some surprises, and you passed with flying colors." Roxanne smiled as she recalled her fainted Nosepass. "I will commend you as well for showing me a few surprises too--it goes to show that there is so much more to learn about and discover."

She offered May a gold rock-shaped badge. "Take this...you've made your teacher, and me, proud."

"You did it, May! Ash ran and embraced May on the arena floor. "You got a Stone Badge!"

TO BE CONTINUED...

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I really enjoyed reading the battle. It's neat to get a different perspective by hearing what the Pokemon are saying to each other and their trainers.

Roxanne's school sounds cool. I wish there were Pokemon schools in real life! I also enjoy the details you add in about the Pokemon world, which make it seem more realistic, like the Happiny working in the Pokemon Center. :)
    GCEA

Senior Moderator

Thanks--I wanted to do something different than the usual:

Trainer A: (Pokemon)! Use (move of choice!)

(Pokemon uses the move)

Trainer B: (Pokemon), dodge and attack with (move of choice)

So I decided to try and write out the battle proper from the Pokemon's perspective--I figure they would taunt each other as they attack.