Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

[WAR II] Graphic Arts!

.:WELCOME:.

This is the Graphic Arts Competition of WAR II. It is also the first stand-alone Graphic Arts contest that PxR has had in a WAR competition. I am XaiakuX, and I am both proud and excited to Host and Judge this particular contest. Finally the WAR Leaders did something right! [-BaDumTss-]

Only members of an OFFICIAL TEAM may participate for judging and scoring for their teams. If you haven't joined a team yet, just click HERE to pick one, and join up! On the flip side, ANYONE may still participate. If you aren't a part of a WAR team, and just want to participate for fun, you're absolutely welcome to. You just won't get any points at the end of the week.

In this contest, you will need some form of art program such as Photoshop or GIMP. These are examples, of course. If you feel more comfortable using MS Paint or another program, feel free! So long as the end result is the same. Moving on to what you'll be creating in these programs. That's actually a surprise, but I'll give you some examples. Anything from a Text Edit, to a Tag for a Signature, an Animation, or a Banner and Avatar Set for Forum use.

If you've never created a banner before, and need some help just click HERE to follow some tutorials in banner creation.

Speaking of Animation. Even if it isn't the Theme of the Week, you're still welcome to use it in your project. It may even gain you bonus points if I like it well enough. This goes for any style or format you chose to go with. Again, as long as the end result is the same. Feel free to create your project in any way you want, so long as it fits the Theme of the Week.

As for Judging, I plan to be as fair and honest with anyone new as well as anyone experienced. I'll do so because I really want to get people into Graphic Arts the same way I am. I started doing banners when I was 16, and I've been having a blast ever since. Sure they were just awful at the time, but I got better, and developed new styles and techniques. Eventually, I started teaching other people my styles and techniques.

The very best Graphic Artist that week will be rewarded 3 points for their team.
    The runner up Graphic Artist that week will be rewarded 2 points for their team.
    One other Graphic Artist at random that week will be rewarded 1 point for their team.

To join up, just go ahead a post your graphic arts submission, with your team name somewhere in your post.

How will I judge you? Like this:

Code:
    Text: /5 (Text and text placement is crucial, if you can't come up with something, it's perfectly acceptable not to add text.)
    Imagery: /5 (When using images, I request that you use official art, or your own art, unless permitted otherwise by the artist.)
    Colors: /10 (Color matters in art, if you create a design and the colors don't go well together, it could hurt you)
    Flow: /10 (To avoid messy and unnecessary slip ups, it's good to to keep an image going in one direction)
    Style: /15 (One of Two all around sort of judgements, you will be judged based on your general style and technique)
    Balance: /15 (Two of Two all around sort of judgements, you will be judged based on the general balance of your image.)
    Overall: /60 (This is to be your final score after judging everything else listed above.)

Seems intimidating, doesn't it? Don't let it get to you. The judging part of this is to guide you and help you get better. If you're new to this, and you flop the first couple of times, don't sweat it! Your team still gets a point thanks to you, and my judge reviews will always give you tips and guidelines to improve.

Now, get ready to to make a banner... or something!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    Last edited by XaiakuX; 06-09-2015 at 02:48 AM.
    Paired with Jessu
    .|.Instagram.|.TiKToK.|.Podcast.|.Buy Stuff.|.Gallery.|.
    ~

2. This post has been liked by:

This week's theme is:

TEAM BUILDING!

Now, let's start off with something basic. I want you to create a banner for your team! This banner should possess three key things:

1. Your Team's name.
    2. Your Team's colors.
    3. Your Team's slogan.

If your team doesn't have a color scheme or slogan, feel free to create your own.

For example. Team Awesome's color scheme is Red and Black, and the slogan is "Then.. Now.. Forever!"

There are otherwise no restrictions. Remember this week is easy and basic on purpose. This is so that new players can get comfortable. I'm no cruiserweight, though. So expect things to get a little more complex as the weeks go on. This will be to both test your developing skills, and to give the more seasoned graphic artists something a little more challenging.

Enjoy, and remember to have fun!
    Last edited by XaiakuX; 06-08-2015 at 01:18 AM.
    Paired with Jessu
    ~

This post will show a list of all past and current week events with winners..

Week 1:
    Spoiler:
    ---

Week 2:
    Spoiler:
    ---

Week 3:
    Spoiler:
    ---

Week 4:
    Spoiler:
    ---

Week 5:
    Spoiler:
    ---
    Last edited by XaiakuX; 06-08-2015 at 01:07 AM.
    Paired with Jessu
    ~

This post is for funsies.
    Last edited by XaiakuX; 06-08-2015 at 12:52 AM.
    Paired with Jessu
    ~

I'll be first and post my submission for the team building event!
    Spoiler:
    I went with a pretty simple geometric idea with a popart vibe. The animation used in this is a few frames from this gif, which I found pretty relevant: x

Team: The Prism League
    Colours: Rainbow
    Slogan: No official slogan, but I went with "Restorers of Light" based on Nekomata's intro post--

7. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Good thing I've been practicing on these.

Team: The Phoenix Battalion
    Colors: Fiery
    Slogan: Kicking butt and cheating death!

9. This post has been liked by:

I cant think :< Open for suggestions haha, but I tried :>

Spoiler:

Team: Trainer
    Colors: None ( so I went with several colors :> )
    Slogan: For courage, honor, and Glory!

Updated!
    Last edited by Sou; 06-13-2015 at 02:33 AM.

"I vow to make them proud...no matter the cost"
    -GCEA Stats- | -Art Gallery- | -URPG Stats-

11. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Team: Trainer
    Colours: We don't have any official ones, so anything goes. :D
    Slogan: Honour, courage, glory

I chose Mega Charizard X and the story from Pokemon Chronicles because I feel that it really shows what it is to be a trainer :D
    GCEA

13. This post has been liked by:

In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    @XaiakuX;

You didn't post a submission deadline. :/ I probably should've mentioned this sooner, but I literally just noticed a few hours ago and assumed I miiiiiiiiight finish tonight and be able to submit before I went out. When do we have to have submissions in by? I'm going to try and finish before I go to bed tonight (since I'm going to come back to my computer anyways when I get home), but I have no idea when the deadline is to begin with. I realize it's my fault for waiting until the last minute, so if I don't make the deadline, I don't expect you to wait for me, I just want to know when it is to begin with.

also obligatory comment about how the letters in that WAR Graphic Art banner at the top of the page don't actually say WAR, it's more like "shshdya" because yay Cyrillic alphabet, but i totally get it's a stylistic thing; the Russian student in me just had to comment on it

I'll edit my entry into this post once I finish assuming no one else has posted by then, and if I miss this unknown deadline, then so be it.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

@Felly Unless other wise stated, the deadline for all WAR events is 11.59pm EST Friday. You may also submit things on Saturday up until the judge states entries are closed or judging begins. No entries may be submitted after 11.59pm EST Saturday unless the judge has previously said so. Hope that helps! You still have time! :)
    GCEA