Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fallout 4

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Fallout 4

I'll be honest and say I've never played any of these games except for like 10 mins at the start of Fallout 3 (I think) when a friend wanted to show me the game. Seems kinda cool though and there is lots of hype everywhere.

Who's getting it?
    GCEA

I bought myself a new PS4 and pre-ordered Fallout 4. Very excited, one of my favorite game series.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I'm a Fallout JUNKIE, of course I have it (and the Season Pass). Preloaded and ready to go on PC. I still need to go to work tomorrow (so I can continue funding gaming addictions such as these), but as soon as I hit home, bang, I'm firing this puppy up.

I've been playing Fallout games ever since the very first one. They're fun, action-packed, and delightfully politically incorrect games.

Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

I was complaining about this in the PXR chat last night. I want the game pretty bad, but I REALLY don't like buying games full price unless I REALLY REALLY want them. like, from a scale of one to ten on how badly I want them, they usually have to be like, a 10/10. Fallout is like, an 8/10. The problem is that I have some money saved up, but I won't be getting any more until Christmas, and after that I won't be getting any more until AT LEAST April, so I'm really hesitant to spend this much money in one go lol.

The game came out at nine last night. My friend already has five hours. By the way, this friend is the one that made me want the game so much, I was fine with not having it until he started showing me videos.

Senior Administrator

Be careful where you go online. I've heard people are already dropping spoilers about the ending.

And yeah, I hear you, Mike. Originally I was going to wait for a Game of the Year edition to come around, but with all the buzz about it, I decided hey, it was silly to try and fight it.

EDIT: Played it for about two hours, it's AWESOME! If you're playing it on the PC though, make sure your computer is ready, because it's VERY graphic intensive. I can play Fallout 3 on Ultra, but I can only play Fallout 4 on Medium (still looks good though!). I would love to see what it looks like on max settings, but yeah, I don't think my machine would handle it very well. When it comes to the System Requirements, I'd recommend stepping up above what's under "Recommended," because I have even over that (dual NVIDIA GTX 550 graphics cards and 12GB ram) and this is where I'm at. Definitely playable and enjoyable, but I think my computer is starting to go gray a bit.

In all, the game looks sweet as heck and plays very similarly to Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so if you've played those, you'll jump right in it and should feel right at home. The scenery is jaw-dropping and it's everything you love about Fallout all over again. I'm the kind that likes to poke around in every nook and cranny and gradually do the main quest line, but I'm certainly in no rush to blitz to the ending. They've made a very fun and interesting world to explore again.

In terms of leveling and character building, it seems like they changed a lot of things. I was almost shocked at how few stat points they give you to distribute in the beginning, but that's because you get one for every level now. Also, it seems like skills are something you build over time rather than distribute points to. I only got to level 4 and just completed that quest where you retrieve the locket for the farmer, so I've only seen the beginning bits so far.
    Last edited by Neo Emolga; 11-11-2015 at 03:20 AM.

GCEA Staff

Alright, the other day I gave in and bought it. IT IS AMAZING. I've got about two hours in it too. I can run it on ultra, but I get occasional FPS drops. They aren't frequent enough to make me lower the settings though. The beginning was SO GOOD. I knew something wasn't right in the vault... I knew it said before release that we would be the sole survivor of vault 111, but I didn't expect it to happen like this.

Oh, and I have played Fallout 3, and I have new vegas, but I've only actually played it for two hours.

EARLY GAME SPOILERS:
    Spoiler:

I'm suspicious that one other cryogenic freezer was empty. I have a feeling that this may be important later. Could someone else have survived? Also, something I'm wondering is how much time passed between when your son was taken out and when you got out. Is he going to be like, 20 when you find him?

Senior Administrator

Played some more, and despite dying quite a bit, it's still quite enjoyable. My goodness, booby traps are just about everywhere and most of them are there for no particular reason (why are there mines at the drive-in movie theater, there's nothing much there!).

Also, there was this one crazy attack dog at a raider camp (that army base or something like that) that did HEAPS of damage and could take one shotgun shell after another to the head and it only did like 10% damage to it. I died like two dozen times to it and have no idea why it had boss-like stats to it. Crazy, but I think I just need better guns. The beginning pistols and rifles are good for taking down Radroaches, ghouls, and mole rats, but they lose a lot of their pep against the gunner guys that like hanging around the highway and whatnot.

Still a fun game, though. I can't complain, the beginning of the game is usually the roughest part because you just don't have the guns and armor to take on some of the nastier things out there. It was the same way with all the other Fallout games.

I don't play Fallout games on consoles, and my current rig isn't powerful enough, so I'll be putting this one off for quite a while. Pretty sure there will be a ton of DLC and mods by the time I do pick it up, though. Can't wait to see what the modding community will be working on in the months to come.
    Hope: It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness.

My brother got it on release and I've seen him play it a good few times. Since it's his game, I'm going to wait a bit to play it. xP Let him play it as much as he wants first. I haven't played much of Fallout 3... Maybe an hour or two. I didn't really get into it, but I think I should try again. Also New Vegas. I'm probably just gonna start Fallout 4 before them anyway, though. Seems cool so far and I know the female protagonist's voice actor from other games, so it'll be cool to hear her throughout the game. :]

GCEA Staff

Neo Emolga, I don't think the game has level scaling, which is why it can be so hard early on. If you go somewhere meant for end game level players early on, you're going to get wrecked.

I met my first Deathclaw though (aside from the script encounter one). And I wasn't wearing power armor. Luckily, there were some raiders nearby to help. And by help, I mean their heads stayed on their shoulders long enough to distract it for about five seconds. So yeah, be careful, because Deathclaws will literally take your head off in one hit.