Dragon Quest VII and VIII have finally been announced for localization.

I've been wanting them, especially the former, for quite a while now. I never got to play VII, so it'll be a good experience. Dragon Quest is a really good series, I can't wait. VII is out Summer 2016, and VIII in 2016.
    not that serious

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I've never played these games, but I've heard good things. Anyone wanna give me a run down?
    GCEA

Senior Moderator

I'll be picking up both--I've always wanted to play VII, and I own VIII on the PS2, so having it available on the go will be nice

@Pokemon Trainer Sarah-Go look up walkthroughs for them on YouTube, and enjoy!

The only Dragon Quest games I've played were a couple spinoffs for GBC (Dragon Warrior Monsters) and DQIX (which is fantastic). I've been wanting to play the others, so I'm glad to hear these'll be localized!

@Pokemon Trainer Sarah I can't speak too much for the series, but based on my experience paying DQIX, the series seems to be similar to older Final Fantasy games (which isn't so surprising since they're by Square Enix). The battles are turned-based and you encounter monsters in the overworld similar to how you would in Tales games. Also—and at least in DQIX—you get access to a number of classes/vocations and can change your characters' classes. And there are quests. Lots and lots of quests.

And in other DQ games—and not just the Dragon Warrior spinoffs—you can befriend monsters. (Not in all of them, though.) In DW, you befriended them by giving them meat; dunno if it's similar in DQ. Also, they had "personalities" similar to how Pokémon have natures (before natures even came to exist in Pokémon). The monsters do not evolve, but you can breed them to create new monsters. (iirc the monsters you use to breed leave, so you need to be careful with which ones you breed.)

EDIT: I could be wrong, but I think certain game mechanics in the DQ series also vary just as they do in Final Fantasy or Tales. For example, in one of the older DQ games you can marry one of three people and have a child (and then play as that child), but I don't recall seeing that feature in other ones. The befriending monster thing also seems to be limited to a few games.

dreamwidth // plurk // tumblr // gallery
    gfx by lucia @ pxr // feat. lily white

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Serena View Post
    The only Dragon Quest games I've played were a couple spinoffs for GBC (Dragon Warrior Monsters) and DQIX (which is fantastic). I've been wanting to play the others, so I'm glad to hear these'll be localized!

@Pokemon Trainer Sarah I can't speak too much for the series, but based on my experience paying DQIX, the series seems to be similar to older Final Fantasy games (which isn't so surprising since they're by Square Enix). The battles are turned-based and you encounter monsters in the overworld similar to how you would in Tales games. Also—and at least in DQIX—you get access to a number of classes/vocations and can change your characters' classes. And there are quests. Lots and lots of quests.

And in other DQ games—and not just the Dragon Warrior spinoffs—you can befriend monsters. (Not in all of them, though.) In DW, you befriended them by giving them meat; dunno if it's similar in DQ. Also, they had "personalities" similar to how Pokémon have natures (before natures even came to exist in Pokémon). The monsters do not evolve, but you can breed them to create new monsters. (iirc the monsters you use to breed leave, so you need to be careful with which ones you breed.)

EDIT: I could be wrong, but I think certain game mechanics in the DQ series also vary just as they do in Final Fantasy or Tales. For example, in one of the older DQ games you can marry one of three people and have a child (and then play as that child), but I don't recall seeing that feature in other ones. The befriending monster thing also seems to be limited to a few games.
    Ooh that sounds pretty interesting. :O I don't play many games besides Pokemon honestly, but it seems like something I might like! Thanks for the explanation! :D
    GCEA