View Poll Results: How do you feel about the PXR Gym League idea?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the idea and would like to be a Gym Leader and a Gym Challenger

2 22.22%
  • I like the idea, but would only be a Gym Leader.

0 0%
  • I like the idea and would like to be a Gym Trainer and a Gym Challenger.

3 33.33%
  • I like the idea, but would only be a Gym Trainer.

1 11.11%
  • I like the idea, but I only want to be a Gym Challenger.

2 22.22%
  • I'm not too fond of the idea and I think we should consider some other kind of summer activity.

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

PXR Gym League Activity Gauge

I want gauge the interest level on the PXR Gym League idea to see if it's an idea we should consider developing further, or if we should consider something else. Also, if the idea is launched, I also want to see what kinds of roles people think they might be doing if and when the idea goes live. It's perfectly okay if you're not sure, just select the answer that you think would fit your feelings best, but definitely don't see it as a permanent commitment. If you selected "I like the idea, but I probably won't be creating/joining a gym. However, I would still like to try and earn badges from gyms as a freelance Gym Challenger" and then later decide if and when the event launches "whoa, I change my mind, running my own gym seems like a much better idea!" that's totally fine.

OPTIONS:

I like the idea and would like to be a Gym Leader and a Gym Challenger. - Means you plan on making your own Gym and would be the Gym Leader of it. Also, you have interest in being a Gym Challenger on a personal level and would challenge other Gyms to build a badge collection.

I like the idea, but would only be a Gym Leader. - Means you plan on making your own Gym and would be the Gym Leader of it. However, you plan on only defending your Gym and don't intend on challenging other Gyms to build a badge collection.

I like the idea and would like to be a Gym Trainer and a Gym Challenger. - Means you plan on joining someone else's Gym as a Gym Trainer to help defend the Gym. Also, you have interest in being a Gym Challenger on a personal level and would challenge other Gyms to build a badge collection.

I like the idea, but would only be a Gym Trainer. - Means you plan on joining someone else's Gym as a Gym Trainer to help defend the Gym. However, you plan on only defending your Gym and don't intend on challenging other Gyms to build a badge collection.

I like the idea, but I only want to be a Gym Challenger. - Means you only plan on challenging the Gyms to build a badge collection, but don't have any intentions on creating or joining any Gyms.

I'm not too fond of the idea and I think we should consider some other kind of summer activity. - Don't be ashamed to admit this! I would not think any less of a person who feels maybe there's a better idea out there to pursue.

In case you need to see the original idea description again:

Spoiler:
    So, I decided to comb through last year's WAR Discussion threads to get a better idea of what people would like. Since we're scrapping the entire WAR, I don't think too much focus on point distribution really matters. In fact, I'm trying to shoot for ideas where points aren't involved. Anyway, the basic gist I got from it was this is what most people would like:

• Teams that are smaller, but evened out. I'm going to say 3-5 seems like a fair number and was what most people seemed to want.
    • More time for submissions. One week for everything all at once is too much.
    • More judges involved. Preferably, a panel of judges.
    • Not have everything going on at once, save for a few exceptions. Kind of like the Olympics.
    • Scoring revision. Modify or remove scoring entirely.

I think I might have brought up this idea before, but whatever, I'll bring it up again.

THE PXR GYM LEAGUE

Back in PE2K days, a member named Dani (I have no idea where she is now or how to properly give her credit...) came up with a neat Gym League idea where people create Gyms as teams, all with a theme and all that jazz. Dani made a gym, found people to be her gym trainers, and said if you could beat two of her trainers in art, writing, battling, whatever, and then beat her, you'd get a neat little badge that you had the right to display in your profile, sig, and so on.

We could easily do this same kind of thing here at PXR, and it checks on all five of the above bullets. Now, I've put in some of my own modifications here, but the idea is generally the same.

Anyone can create a Gym, but as a Gym Leader, you need to be open to several areas. Making GCEA or ASB your only challenge areas isn't quite fair to people who aren't in those things, but want to try and earn your gym's badge. Also, your gym can have 3 to 5 people in it. No more, no less. It's your job to defend your gym against all incoming challengers.

QUICK RUNDOWN OF HOW IT WORKS:

Let's say Harry the Epic Bulbasaur wants to challenge the Banana Fiesta Gym, which has Rocky Balboa as the Gym Leader, and has three trainers, Alvin, Simon, and Theodore. To get to Rocky, Harry has to beat at least two of his trainers, which can be Alvin and Simon, Alvin and Theodore, or Simon and Theodore. Any combination of two from those three. Harry chooses to battle Simon, and Simon's selected areas of expertise are spriting, creative writing, drawn art, and URPG. Harry beats Simon in a URPG battle, a URPG ref verifies the victory, no voting is necessary. So now he's 1 for 2.

Next, he wants to battle Theodore, who has his selected areas of expertise in GCEA, ASB, creative writing, and spriting. Harry selects spriting as the field of battle, but Theodore gets to choose the subject matter. Theodore chooses that both of them make a sprite of Pidgeot, and both of them have two weeks to make a sprite. Both Pidgeot sprites are sent to a League Official, who makes a new poll thread where it has something like "Banana Fiesta Gym Trainer Challenge - Harry VS Theodore - [Spriting]." The League Official posts both sprites, but no one knows which one is Harry's and which one is Theodore's. Only the League Official knows. Anyone besides Harry and Theodore is allowed to vote, and they vote on which one they think is the best. After a week (poll closes after a week), the results are tallied, and Harry is the winner!

Harry now goes on to face Rocky Balboa, the Gym Leader of the Banana Fiesta Gym, who has his specialties as drawn art, graphic art, RP creation, and creative writing. Harry chooses RP creation, but Rocky declares that they both make a fantasy, non-Pokémon RP. In two weeks, they send their RP sign ups to a League Official. The League Official creates a new poll thread: "Banana Fiesta Gym Leader Challenge - Harry VS Rocky Balboa [RP Creation]" and puts both RPs up, but no one knows which one is Harry's and which one is Rocky's. They vote, and in a week, they like Harry's the best! It's up to Harry if he wants to actually run the RP, or donate it to the RP board for someone else to use. Rocky is free to run his as well if he really wants to.

Now that Harry has won, he gets a Banana Fiesta Gym badge token in his profile. He could also put the same token (or a smaller version of it) in his sig or as a profile postbit.

And bingo, there you go. Harry can now go challenge other gyms, all while also belonging to a gym of his own. Now, if Harry had lost one of his gym battles against a trainer, he could challenge them in something else, or switch to another trainer to challenge. He could also pick another area to challenge them in. He could also challenge a trainer/leader in this gym and a trainer/leader in another gym at the same time.

--------

That's the basic idea of it.

Teams are smaller, and two weeks is plenty of time for people to people to get stuff done. People can also say "hey, I've got two people challenging me already, I can't take on any more." That's fine. Or you can be put on temporary hiatus if you need to go on vacation.

Also, the whole rest of the forum can be your judging panel. Anyone can hop in and say "hey, that's a cool sprite, I'm voting on that" even if they're not a spriting expert. Also, trainers and challengers can take on as much or as little as they want. They're not pushed to DO EVERYTHING AT ONCE in a week for four weeks! Also, no points involved! You simply beat the trainer/leader, or you try again with something else.

So yeah, I'm curious to know if other people think this would be a cool idea to try.

HEADS UP STUFF - THINGS OPEN FOR DISCUSSION

Things in blue and in ALL CAPS LIKE THIS are variable placeholders for now. If you think something would be more reasonable, hey, let your voice be heard!

• Sections involved - We're still not sure what exact sections would be involved and how they would be formatted for this idea. That would be something PXR Gym League officials would need to decided, but you're free to give recommendations.
      • Section Participation - Each person needs to list FOUR sections they would be willing to take part in, such as URPG battles, Drawn Art, RP Creation, and that kind of thing. Chances are good the sections would be very similar to what was done in WAR, but they would just be 1vs1 scenarios.
    • Submission Periods - TWO WEEKS to submit something after a Gym Trainer/Leader declares the subject matter. If something isn't submitted before the deadline, victory goes to the party that submitted something.
    • Judging Period - If the challenge requires a judging panel, such as an art or writing challenge, everyone else has ONE WEEK to cast their vote.
    Last edited by Neo Emolga; 03-09-2016 at 09:13 PM.

Administrator

@Neo Emolga Did the poll not go up correctly?

I'm definitely interested in joining something at least. I may not be very creative in art or imaging, but something RP based I could try now that I've got more experience under it. I may have to decide whether or not I'd want to lead or just join as a Trainer. If anything maybe as just a Trainer and challenge as well. Either way the idea sounds really great, but I know there's still much discussion that needs to go into such an idea

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    @Neo Emolga Did the poll not go up correctly?
    It should be fixed now, I was getting errors before because I went over 100 characters for the poll options. :P

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    It should be fixed now, I was getting errors before because I went over 100 characters for the poll options. :P
    Aweseom, yup. Looks like it's fixed now! The only reason I don't think I'd want to be a Leader is because for those sections I don't feel as if I would be enough to actually lead it. However, as a Trainer, I have more reason to help and not be super efficient at least xD. If anything it would help out with the team/gym even if it's a little.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    I would consider being a gym leader and a gym challenger, but as someone who primarily only does art and writing, I feel as though some people might have a hard time with that. 3': I don't participate in anything else to be really useful.

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post
    I would consider being a gym leader and a gym challenger, but as someone who primarily only does art and writing, I feel as though some people might have a hard time with that. 3': I don't participate in anything else to be really useful.
    Totally not a problem, the whole idea is being tweaked and is just a rough draft, so anything is subject to change depending on what people feel is right. I'm also not a URPG, ASB, or GCEA official, but I would need to ask them if they'd be interested in getting in on this, or if they'd rather stick with their own events. So if those sections are not included, obviously the total number of section areas that a person would need to be involved in would be reduced.

As a side note, I would love to see what kind of Gym you create, Gem. :D

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Still like this idea :D I'm probably going to have like 0 time but if I do end up participating, I would choose not to be a gym leader most likely. :) Would be cool to help defend a gym though!
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Totally not a problem, the whole idea is being tweaked and is just a rough draft, so anything is subject to change depending on what people feel is right. I'm also not a URPG, ASB, or GCEA official, but I would need to ask them if they'd be interested in getting in on this, or if they'd rather stick with their own events. So if those sections are not included, obviously the total number of section areas that a person would need to be involved in would be reduced.

As a side note, I would love to see what kind of Gym you create, Gem. :D
    Oh, cool. xD I was a tad worried when I saw the whole 'four' sections thing. I was like "CAN I STRETCH THAT INTO WRITING AND ART ONLY? @.@" haha!

The only part that stumps me at the moment is the gym. XD But when you say create a gym, exactly how much, and what, are we creating?

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post

Oh, cool. xD I was a tad worried when I saw the whole 'four' sections thing. I was like "CAN I STRETCH THAT INTO WRITING AND ART ONLY? @.@" haha!

The only part that stumps me at the moment is the gym. XD But when you say create a gym, exactly how much, and what, are we creating?

I think it's pretty basic, just like in the games. Pick a name and theme for your gym and design your gym badge. Then make a thread to recruit a few gym trainers? :D Then you can make pretty graphics and stuff. :)
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    I think it's pretty basic, just like in the games. Pick a name and theme for your gym and design your gym badge. Then make a thread to recruit a few gym trainers? :D Then you can make pretty graphics and stuff. :)
    Oh, awesome. xD I am so totally becoming a leader. Also, if we're picking Pokemon types, I SHOTGUN DRAGON. No one else steal it! Unless multiple gym types are okay. :3