growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Anime/Manga Reviews

Here is a place to post reviews for any Anime and Manga so that others might see and be interested to watch/read! If you include spoilers, don't forget to put them in spoiler tags! :D
    GCEA

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Review

Why are we here? Why are we doing this?

Before Haruhiro had realized what happened, he was surrounded by darkness. Why was he here? Where was here? Even now, he still didn't know. Those around him were the same as him, no one remembered anything other than their own names. And when they emerged from the darkness, the world that awaited them seemed like something out of a video game.

In order to survive, Haruhiro forms a party with the others, learns fighting skills, and as a soldier in the reserve force, takes his first steps into the world of Grimgar. What awaits him there, he doesn't know...

This the story of an adventure born from the ashes.

Type: TV
    Episodes: Unknown
    Aired: Jan 11, 2016 to ?
    Premiered: Winter 2016
    Broadcast: Mondays at 00:30 (JST)
    Producers: Toho Company
    Licensors: FUNimation Entertainment
    Studios: A-1 Pictures
    Source: Light novel
    Genres: Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy
    Duration: Unknown
    Rating: None

This winter, A-1 Pictures' ERASED took center stage, but Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash is a stellar show that deserves as much attention as its cinematic mystery brother.

Unlike its video game predecessors – Sword Art Online, No Game No Life, Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls in A Dungeon? – Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash handles the video game world concept with such delicate execution that I immediately fell in love from the very beginning. The narrative style is unique from the typical action fantasy in the sense that the plot lacks conflict – what is in Japanese literature known as kishotenketsu. The storyline is instead driven by the characters and their personal interactions with the world and as a group of adventurers who just want to survive in the world of Grimgar, having lost all memories of the human world. Death is prominent in this series as a major theme, and the anime delivered pathos perfectly, through a cathartic arc that segues into revelation and consolidation. Despite the fantasy RPG world setting, realism was abundant even in the minute details. From following the characters in purchasing items (this is also where financial management comes in, something many shows gloss over) and doing their laundry (because not having clean underwear would definitely affect any adventurer no matter how much strength or magic you have), to watching them individually learn new skills over a period of time (and not leveling up in a blink of an eye), as well as witnessing them realize that it's kill or be killed. Even the goblins they face have their own attributes of a functioning society, instead of being mindless spawns, they have their own reason to survive and live a normal life. Such rawness adds a depth to each action scene, and a greater level of danger and suspense, for every insignificant thing our characters do, has implications.

The visuals were so lush and breathtaking that every moment was emotive and captivating, complementing the overall ambience that the writing successfully achieved. Some might also appreciate how exposition is nicely established, in a manner that Log Horizon tried to do but Grimgar managed that better, slipping in only important drips of game information when it mattered, i.e. strategizing for a team fight, highlighting a character's development, etc. At the end of it all, Grimgar is simply a tale of strangers who learn acceptance, tolerance, and about breaking down walls, and discovering the power of bonds that last. It's not a heroic story even though each character is a hero in their own aspect, nor does it set out to paint an epic high fantasy with all the glamour and glory of war and flashy fights. It's a looking-glass into human nature, where the antagonist is not Nature or any external force, but of Man himself. Such brand of uniqueness is refreshing to a scene where shōnen action runs rampant. This show is not for everyone. Some may find it slow. Some might mistake it to be a slice-of-life anime with fantasy game elements shoehorned into it. But they all miss the true essence of it. It's poetry in motion; it's a genuine adventure of the heart, soul and mind. It's Life captured, and meant to be slowly savoured like good wine that has aged.

Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆
    Last edited by Ganyu; 05-12-2016 at 11:43 AM.

3. This post has been liked by:

Anime Name:
    Shinsekai Yori

Rating:
    7.5/10

Genre:
    Drama, Horror, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Supernatural

Plot:
    A millennium from now, a sudden outbreak of psychokinesis overtook about 0.1% of the population. A small number in reality, but a power that set the world apart as the ability to now manipulate matter for these individuals, turned many to violence. In doing so, the world was set along a path of destruction with the rise and fall of authorities until finally a lasting, fragile peace was found in isolation.

The story follows a girl by the name of Saki Watanabe, a 12 year old who has just awakened her psychokinetic abilities and joins her already awakened friends at Sage-Academy.

The Review:
    Shinsekai Yori was a rather different anime then the usual slice-of-life, comedy or action anime I tend to pick up. Labeled with the horror tag (which I tend to avoid) and tagged with it’s description, I decided to give it a shot despite the fact I usually can’t handle such things. Admittedly, the first few (more like two or three) episodes were very confusing with all the information being thrown at you with very few answers to alleviate some of it. It also felt a little boring combined with it’s rather dull art-style, (though it did kind give it this creepy vibe), but despite that it was easy to feel as if there was some deeper meaning to all of it. You get the sense there’s some kind of darkness in this society and you feel uneasy. It tries to distract you with a seemingly slice of life gig as you’re watching these kids go to their magic school to learn how to control their abilities and then it hits you. After hearing these rumors of cat monsters abducting children and adults simply laughing this rumor off, one of the students from that very class has disappeared. It all goes downhill from there, for the characters anyway, (uphill in my interest at that point) and the story really starts to progress as the truth begins to surface for these kids.

This show takes it’s time to reveal the truths behind past incidents, but does in a way that keeps you interested and wanting to know. By this, I mean it continues to present more questions to its audience, all while keeping you engaged. To avoid any spoilers, I’ll leave this section at that.

My Thoughts:
    Shinsekai Yori is an anime that has stuck with me because I thoroughly enjoyed it despite it’s appearance and first couple of episodes. I came to love the characters and even the art style for what it was. While it was true the animation could get wonky, the art style did help to give it that creepy, something dark-is-going-on-behind-the-scenes-vibe. I ended up liking it and the characters, even though there were naturally points I was horrified and my heart sank. There was a little bit of comedy and some bits of romance, but it was the story that kept me coming back. After everything that went on, the end was pretty satisfying as well.

Pro’s:
    I really liked the story here and the music. I also grew to love the art style they went with.

Cons:
    The animation was choppy at times and there were a few unanswered questions along with a couple of plotholes.

"I vow to make them proud...no matter the cost"
    -GCEA Stats- | -Art Gallery- | -URPG Stats-